PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express' Capabilities

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-07-24, 14:53
Can the AP Ex stream an internet streaming radio station to a stereo somewhere in the house?

Eugene
2004-07-24, 15:26
Can the AP Ex stream an internet streaming radio station to a stereo somewhere in the house?
Anything you can play in iTunes.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-07-24, 15:56
SWEETNESS!! ^_^ I could do an online DJ show and broadcast it to the living room ^_^_^_^

DMBand0026
2004-07-24, 18:45
This is great! Now if I could get someone to get it for me for my birthday, that would be awesome :)

It's coming up soon :D

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-07-24, 19:58
I think you'd need one for transmission as well as one for the other end to recieve. ... That's $260 total... Correct if I'm wrong on this...

DMBand0026
2004-07-24, 20:02
I think you'd need one for transmission as well as one for the other end to recieve. ... That's $260 total... Correct if I'm wrong on this...

Nope, all it takes is one. Plug it into the wall and connect it to your stereo with whatever method you choose. Than head back to your computer and select the basestation in iTunes and press play.

It's as easy as that (with a little software install too ;)). Gotta love Apple.

Akumulator
2004-07-24, 20:20
Sooooo... you still need the normal airport basestation to broadcast, right? :\

FFL
2004-07-24, 20:27
Sooooo... you still need the normal airport basestation to broadcast, right? :\
No, you need to have an AirPort Extreme card in your computer.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-07-24, 21:05
Nope, all it takes is one. Plug it into the wall and connect it to your stereo with whatever method you choose. Than head back to your computer and select the basestation in iTunes and press play.

It's as easy as that (with a little software install too ;)). Gotta love Apple.

Do you have AP Ex?

DMBand0026
2004-07-25, 00:07
I don't personally have it, but after reading reviews and all the info on it at apple.com I've figured out a few things about it. :)

Send a PM to thegelding, he has it and I'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in on any info that you need.

nicolasg
2004-07-26, 13:16
I'd say you don't *NEED* an Airport (Extreme or not) card for it to work, simply you need to be connnected in some way to the airport express device, and that could very well be through a wired network (assuming the Airport express can work as a bridge between wifi+wired, and not only as router ;) ) and if it required an Airport Extreme card, many windows users would be out of luck .... think about it...

Mr Beardsley
2004-07-26, 14:25
I have an AirPort Express and the "sound" portion only works with a computer playing iTunes. I have the AEx connected to my stereo, and I have an airport card in my iBook. From within iTunes I pick whether I want the music to come out of my computer speakers or out of my AEx connected to the stereo. You either need an airport card in your computer (to communicate the information from iTunes out to the AEx), or you need to run a network cable from your computer to the AEx (which kind of defeats the whole purpose).

It works great by the way.