PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my mini - 512MB RAM ok for iMovie?

Wyatt
2005-11-14, 09:09
I'm looking into upgrading my mini soon, and the first thing I'm going to do is upgrade the RAM. I can get 512MB of compatible RAM for under $40, but 1GB is going to be nearly $100. I can spend that much, but I'd prefer to not. I've noticed my mini (original base model) is somewhat sluggish when multiple applications are open, and I know 512MB will be enough to solve that problem (max. 3 applications, usually--Firefox, iTunes, and iPhoto at the very most). My dilemma is this: I want to start using iMovie to edit home videos (and use iDVD after I add a Super Drive), and I was wondering if 512 was enough to run iMovie and iDVD effectively. I know importing is going to be slow, and that's fine, but will minor editing be ok without going all the way to 1GB? I'd rather not spend that much money if I can avoid it, but if I'm going to get pissed and upgrade to 1GB later anyway, I might as well do it now.

kretara
2005-11-14, 09:53
Get the 1GB stick. You will be much happier. After I upgraded my 1.42 Mini from 512 to 1GB I noticed a large improvement in the snappiness of the computer.

Now, while you have the machine apart you might as well upgrade the HD. I put a 5400 RPM drive in my Mini (it had a 4200 drive in it) and suddenly the Mini was a much better machine.

Wyatt
2005-11-14, 09:58
Get the 1GB stick. You will be much happier. After I upgraded my 1.42 Mini from 512 to 1GB I noticed a large improvement in the snappiness of the computer.

Now, while you have the machine apart you might as well upgrade the HD. I put a 5400 RPM drive in my Mini (it had a 4200 drive in it) and suddenly the Mini was a much better machine.
I'm actually adding a 200 GB external drive too (I forgot to mention that). Thanks for the input on the RAM, though. I'll take that into consideration.

Wyatt
2005-11-14, 12:32
Right now, in my shopping cart at newegg.com, I have: 1 firewire cable for my video camera, 1 firewire hard drive enclosure, and 512MB RAM. It's still less than I would have spent on 1GB of RAM. Unless I find some benchmarks that show a tangible difference between 512MB and 1GB on my model, then I'm going to buy what I have in my cart. I know OSX performs better the more RAM you have (as does any modern OS), but will I notice a difference if I'm just using Firefox, iTunes, and iPhoto or TextEdit? That's the most I ever do at once, and I've found stuff all over the web that says iMovie is fine (at least for the type of stuff I'll be doing) with 512. Anybody want to steer me the other way?

awilso
2005-11-14, 13:08
Right now, in my shopping cart at newegg.com, I have: 1 firewire cable for my video camera, 1 firewire hard drive enclosure, and 512MB RAM. It's still less than I would have spent on 1GB of RAM. Unless I find some benchmarks that show a tangible difference between 512MB and 1GB on my model, then I'm going to buy what I have in my cart. I know OSX performs better the more RAM you have (as does any modern OS), but will I notice a difference if I'm just using Firefox, iTunes, and iPhoto or TextEdit? That's the most I ever do at once, and I've found stuff all over the web that says iMovie is fine (at least for the type of stuff I'll be doing) with 512. Anybody want to steer me the other way?

Have a look on the Apple support chat forums - lot of the guys seem to think their Kernel panick are a result of overloading the mini with big apps and low RAM. I have 1gig so I can't compare, I just know its pretty slow on the DVD burn even with 1gig. Some of the kernel panicks they refer to seem heat related to, and if you go low on RAM you will create more heat.

I'm no expert, but Its what people are saying.

:)

Wyatt
2005-11-14, 21:49
Have a look on the Apple support chat forums - lot of the guys seem to think their Kernel panick are a result of overloading the mini with big apps and low RAM. I have 1gig so I can't compare, I just know its pretty slow on the DVD burn even with 1gig. Some of the kernel panicks they refer to seem heat related to, and if you go low on RAM you will create more heat.

I'm no expert, but Its what people are saying.

:)
Hmm... I'll check that out. I haven't run across anything like that, but I'll definitely hold off on the upgrade until I read up on it some more. Thanks for the heads up.

BenP
2005-11-14, 22:36
I may be wrong but I thought burning was a function of processor speed (and that the amount of RAM would not affect it).

Wyatt
2005-11-14, 23:18
I may be wrong but I thought burning was a function of processor speed (and that the amount of RAM would not affect it).
Actually, having more RAM does make burning faster. The processor is heavily involved, but having more RAM can speed the process up.

alcimedes
2005-11-14, 23:19
Get the 1GB stick, even if that means you have to get a smaller ext. HD. You can always add another drive, and keep the original. If you decide you want more RAM, you have to toss a 512MB chip.

Seriously, the RAM is the biggest and most important upgrade for the mini.

Wyatt
2005-11-14, 23:32
Get the 1GB stick, even if that means you have to get a smaller ext. HD. You can always add another drive, and keep the original. If you decide you want more RAM, you have to toss a 512MB chip.

Seriously, the RAM is the biggest and most important upgrade for the mini.
Again, I already have the drive, so the drive is not the issue (I just need the enclosure). The question is, when I'm already a little strapped, is it worth it to buy the 1GB rather than the 512MB. I'm starting to think that it is, actually.

csb
2005-11-15, 01:08
I don't have a mini, I have an eMac with 1 gig and have done some little movies in iMovie and then burned them with iDVD the one gig is ok but i wish i had more so i would think the the 1 gig in the mini would be ok, i wouldn't go for less than that.

Wyatt
2005-11-15, 09:45
The more I think about this, the more I want to wait to do this until I can do it right. I'm going to hold off on upgrades until I can do the whole thing--the full gig of RAM and both drive enclosures at once. Thanks for the input, everybody.

Wyatt
2005-11-17, 11:47
Once again, I want to thank everybody for their input. I just ordered the 1GB stick. It should be here in three or four days. Hopefully I'll be able to get it installed next weekend.