PDA

View Full Version : Show New Posts button?

BarracksSi
2004-07-26, 11:17
I know, I'm new here, but...

Is there something I can click on to get a listing of all the active threads since my last visit? Am I just blind and can't find it, or is there just not a feature?

I've seen it done on other forums with this software, so I was expecting to find it.

BarracksSi
2004-07-26, 11:25
FOUND IT... lol

(makes me think of one of the funniest lines Officer Barbrady ever said on South Park...)

Luca
2004-07-26, 11:35
By the way, if you have the View Today's Posts page open, and you want to reload the results, you should click on the link again, don't click reload. I don't know why, there's some bug, but hitting reload will only update the appearance of the links (bold if there are replies posted since the last time you viewed the thread, non-bold if there aren't). It doesn't change the positions of the links so the newest ones are on the top. Clicking the View Today's Posts link again will update the appearance of the links AND rearrange their positions.

Spart
2004-07-26, 16:10
By the way, if you have the View Today's Posts page open, and you want to reload the results, you should click on the link again, don't click reload. I don't know why, there's some bug, but hitting reload will only update the appearance of the links (bold if there are replies posted since the last time you viewed the thread, non-bold if there aren't). It doesn't change the positions of the links so the newest ones are on the top. Clicking the View Today's Posts link again will update the appearance of the links AND rearrange their positions.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

:D

When you click that link, what you're really doing is a search, which is given a unique ID. The reason that the search results aren't really all that dynamic is so you can easily link to a search you have made, so others can see the same results. This is actually a good thing, the bad thing is that the "View Today's Posts" feature is just a search and not its own, dynamic page.

So when you click "View Today's Posts", you do a search and end up at something like "http://forums.applenova.com/search.php?searchid=21076" where "21076" is the ID of the search you performed. The page you are at contains the ID for the results you got, so if you reload you're just asking for the same results again.

When you click on the link to "View Today's Posts", however, you are performing a new search and you get a new set of results with a new ID.

Clear as mud?

:smokey: