View Full Version : Apple + Motorola

onlyafterdark
2004-07-26, 20:18
It begins.....

http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/26/motorola

psmith2.0
2004-07-26, 20:29
Ah, you beat me by minutes...

Interesting. No one's going to topple Apple in this particular arena. Not anytime soon. They may as well learn to play nice and partner up...or pack it in and move on.

I'd opt for the former.

That goes for Microsoft too, which ain't gonna do shit about digital music, digital music downloads or digital music players.

:rolleyes:

trailmaster308
2004-07-26, 20:45
This is really cool. Guess this will silence the iPhone crowd for a while.

I hope we are talking full out songs here and not some stupid ass ring tone crap. If that is the case, I wonder if Moto will build hard drive based phones or what? 60 gigs to start would be nice. :p

I bet not though as that would eat into the iPod sales. Will be interesting to see this play out.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-26, 21:12
It is just meant to be a nice way to manage a couple of your favorite songs or a playlist on a phone.

windowsblowsass
2004-07-26, 21:16
i wonder if this means that iphone.org will finaly do something

psmith2.0
2004-07-26, 21:21
Yeah, can't imagine it being more than a few favorites. The ring-tone thing is funny though. :lol:

Have some Iron Maiden song playing out in those little "bleep/bloop" tones... :p

FFL
2004-07-26, 23:02
It will be interesting to see how much onboard storage these "next-gen" phones end up with.

As far as an Apple phone - think of one of these upcoming Motorola phones with an Apple logo and an OS/Interface that is as superior to anything else out there, as the iPod was to other MP3 players when it was first released.

DMBand0026
2004-07-26, 23:05
As far as an Apple phone - think of one of these upcoming Motorola phones with an Apple logo and an OS/Interface that is as superior to anything else out there, as the iPod was to other MP3 players when it was first released.

<crosses fingers>

If anyone can do it, Apple can.

Paul
2004-07-26, 23:15
woah... mini stevenote:
http://video.vdat.com/playfile.asp?brand=VN&file=37983_39262.rm&stream=rg2 (put that into real)
http://www.videonewswire.com/motorola/motomedia/

the production is HORRIBLE and way below the quality that we are used to for Apple Keynote addresses... but it is interesting none-the-less...

the moto CEO guy reminds me of larry david... :D

damn their video phone sucks...

the last 5 minutes of the webcast is kinda cool, new micro phone called the razor and the ability to listen to music across devices (when you walk from your car to your den, the music you were listening to in the car gets continued from where you left off on your television... seamless) very cool... but the demos sucked...

35 minutes wasted...

thegelding
2004-07-26, 23:24
good to see...might quiet a few people complaining that apple doesn't play well with others and won't let others use iTunes and maybe even fairplay...

see, they aren't partnering with real because they don't find it a good option

g

Frank777
2004-07-26, 23:39
Now if Motorola would put a Treo 600-like thumboard on the new phones for input, and make sure they're fully iSync-able - including with iPhoto - we'll be getting somewhere.

FFL
2004-07-27, 00:20
<crosses fingers>

If anyone can do it, Apple can.

Indeed.

Like many cellphone owners I'm sure, I'm most excited by the thought of a iPod-like OS on a cellphone. Every cellphone OS I've ever seen or used sucks massively.

It would make an interesting new revenue source for Apple. They could retail the phone at a premium to the salivating customer base, plus have another Trojan Horse to go with the iPod, and get income-producing kickbacks from the carriers for activation. No telling what else they could do with ringtones and even direct-to-phone songs for sale on the iTMS.

Definitely in line with the consumer electronics - digital hub - convergence - retail directions they seem to be heading.

Seeing Apple working so closely with the mobile division of Motorola really brings to mind some exciting possibilities.

trailmaster308
2004-07-27, 07:08
Every cellphone OS I've ever seen or used sucks massively.

Oh so true. One thing that would be really cool would be to have the ability to mirror the cell phone desktop in a window on your Mac.

Would be nice to be able to tinker with it on my PB.

BarracksSi
2004-07-27, 21:35
It will be interesting to see how much onboard storage these "next-gen" phones end up with.

Certainly more than my year-old (two-year-old??) Sanyo 8100. I'd expect to see microdrives show up in phones within six months (well, maybe a year).

Eugene
2004-07-27, 22:10
Certainly more than my year-old (two-year-old??) Sanyo 8100. I'd expect to see microdrives show up in phones within six months (well, maybe a year).
The current Hitachi microdrives get pretty hot. The handgrip on my good size D-SLR gets very warm to the touch in normal conditions. In a smallish cell phone, the effect would be even worse.

DMBand0026
2004-07-27, 22:33
The current Hitachi microdrives get pretty hot. The handgrip on my good size D-SLR gets very warm to the touch in normal conditions. In a smallish cell phone, the effect would be even worse.

That's what cooling fans are for ;)

Seriously though, you're right, HDDs in their current state, especially micro drives, get really hot. I'd expect the amount of flash based memory to increase, but I don't think we'll see HDDs in phones anytime soon.

FFL
2004-07-27, 23:36
I'd expect the amount of flash based memory to increase, but I don't think we'll see HDDs in phones anytime soon.

Agreed.

It seems clear from statements by both CEOs that the cellphone is meant to supplement the iPod as a music storage device, not replace it. Marketing-wise, it's a tease. I'm sure Apple sees it as yet another Trojan Horse, this time leading to an iPod purchase.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve isn't encouraging them not to go too fast with storage upgrades, so as to keep it well out of even iPod Mini territory.

LoCash
2005-01-11, 16:48
And engadget was able to get a picture of the new phone from the Keynote stream. Read about it here...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000503026441/

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/1761101676711867.JPG?0.4762611039204502