PDA

View Full Version : SubEthaEdit 2.0

Defiant
2004-05-17, 15:48
Yes! Finally a new version! Not that the old version was bad, but this one is even better... :)

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

Full features list is here: http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/features.html

And we finally have AppleScript support too. That was important for me. Some of the supported syntaxes: Support for AppleScript, ActionScript, C, C++, CSS, HTML, Java, Javascript, LaTeX, Objective-C, Pascal, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, SQL and XML.

This is so cool. Who uses SEE? I certainly do.

Gargoyle
2004-05-17, 15:58
Excellent!

Been waiting for this. I contacted the team about writing a PHP auto-complete plugin. Apparently this version is going to have some sort of API for such an add-on.

Off to check it out...

Gargoyle
2004-05-17, 16:02
I have never used the working together features. Lemme know if you wanna try it.

:)

Defiant
2004-05-17, 16:06
Yeah, I wanna try it now! Just before I have to go to bed... ;) I'll send you a PM in any minute.

Turns out I'm too tired to try this now. Ah well, look that you get AE working. G'dnight.

Gargoyle
2004-05-17, 17:14
Man, you can't make s**t like this up. My cable modem went down for 30 mins just as we tried that!

Maybe tomorrow.

ast3r3x
2004-05-17, 18:44
I've used it before to help with a PHP project I was using. It was pretty cool. I normally use BBEdit, but I'll get the new SSE and check it out, I liked the old version.

I do like their icon a lot better then BBE though.

Brad
2004-05-17, 19:20
SubEthaEdit. BEST. EDITOR. EVER.

And it just got better? Sweet. :D

I use SubEthaEdit for all of my PHP, XHTML, CSS, and Java coding. I *live* by SubEthaEdit and keep it in the Dock right next to TextEdit.

2004-05-17, 20:33
I use SubEthaEdit for all of my PHP, XHTML, CSS, and Java coding.
Incidentally, I hate all of these :)

Perl regexes.... mmmmm!

Tiger
2004-05-17, 22:41
mmh, great .. now we can rendezvous together even dirtier php ... [where is the smoking smile??? ] :confused:

torifile
2004-05-17, 23:27
It's slow when coloring syntax on the fly. And I wish they would fix the undo functionality of it. I'm not sure what it is, but it's just not right. I don't want to undo letter by letter. Maybe there's some setting for the length of delay between keystrokes for when they are considered one undo step or more? I've noticed this issue in the previous versions. It's bad for someone who make a lot of typos like me.

Barto
2004-05-18, 01:12
While I am not yet using any of the new features, 2.0 just looks nicer.

SilentEchoes
2004-05-18, 04:21
Nice. Getting it now to see whats new about SEE.

othello
2004-05-18, 09:07
its good for working on docs that you've already started. but i prefer beginning in bbedit

SilentEchoes
2004-05-18, 09:56
its good for working on docs that you've already started. but i prefer beginning in bbedit

Really why?

I used to use BBedit all the time. Then there was this huge thing where with one of the updates to OS X, it might have even been public beta, When you would click on any window your mouse click would simply go threw it.

I tried using it again not to long ago but I keep finding myself going back to SubEthaEdit. It just seems more light weight and flexible to me.

othello
2004-05-18, 10:56
i think its just force of habit :)

i do use the html palette, more as a time saver than anything else. if i'm hacking out loads of pages (and i don't want to use a wysiwyg editor) it does save me time typing the tags in.

then i open it up subethaedit and share it between team members for amending etc.

i'm just stuck in my ways!

drewprops
2004-05-18, 11:24
Many months ago we had a great thread at .com about the "best web sites" out there and I was intrigued by the CSSZenGarden.com site (thanks to whichever one of you first sent me there).

I've been slowly learning how to do CSS in that manner and along the way picked up a demo copy of CSSEdit, but often find myself back doing the code in GoLive because that's where my HTML was being built.

I imagine SubEthaEdit, being a text editor, would allow me to do all the work within the app but does it give you any kind of visual representation of your code (ala CSSEdit)? I'm not looking for WYSIWYG, but come to think of it, that certainly would be a really nifty thing to be able to lay out your doc's look in a WYSIWYG style and let the app do all the heavy lifting for building clean CSS.

So, did I actually ask a question? (And no, SilentEchoes, I still haven't backtracked into PHP yet because I was hung up on understanding CSS (and last week I bought Flash, so it's fair to say that I'm presently spinning out of control!!))