PDA

View Full Version : iPod or iPod Nano

Roland
2005-11-25, 12:48
I really can't decide if I should get an iPod Nano or an 30 GB iPod Video.

The Austrian Music Store currently doesn't even provide Music Video or the Pixar shorts nor TV Series so I am left to converting videos myself.

But there are a few thing that I don't get. For example... let's say I've got an widescreen videofile, can I convert it so it show up on my television as widescreen (anamorphic) and not letterboxed?

do the normal iPods break faster than Nanos (harddrive vs. flash)?

Someone please help me decide :)

dead_stars
2005-11-25, 13:52
Well, I just said wtf and bought my g/f a 30gb vid for Christmas and myself a nice little 2gb black Nano. I can't wait to get them ;)

torifile
2005-11-25, 14:02
I have both. I'm selling the nano. It depends on what you want to do with it. If you have more music than you can fit on the nano, and you don't like not having something in particular available when you want it, get the regular iPod. If size is really important, get the nano. I don't think there's enough data to speak to the reliablity, but know that the regular iPod is no more likely to be prone to HD trouble than the other gens of the regular iPod; that is to say, not very (I haven't heard a rash of complaint WRT HD problems).

It all comes down to what you want with your music. Forget the video part of it - that's just a bonus that shouldn't really factor into your decision.

Roland
2005-11-25, 15:50
It all comes down to what you want with your music. Forget the video part of it - that's just a bonus that shouldn't really factor into your decision.

That's a good tip, but I'd really like to use the video aspect and take it to friends to watch movies.

When it comes to music, I think the nano is sufficient. My collection is too big to fit the 30 GB version and I am currently using a shuffle which suited me fine and I guess it would be kind of more practical to walk around with the nano than the regular iPod when going out at night.

hmm. still not sure

torifile
2005-11-25, 15:51
That's a good tip, but I'd really like to use the video aspect and take it too friends to watch movies.

Well, there's your answer then. ;)

doublem9876
2005-11-25, 16:25
I've got the 60 GB video ipod, and I use it mainly for videos. I would certainly recommend the video over nano. The videos are not even impractical, I watch them as I'm walking home from school with no trouble.

Roland
2005-11-25, 18:16
how's the quality when hooked up to tv? And did you try to put a film up there that is formated in widescreen?

Mac+
2005-11-25, 19:07
I have both.:eek: I thought you were on a "tech" budget! How did you sneak that one by the umpire? :err: (Hence, I presume, your reason for selling the nano? ;) )

torifile
2005-11-25, 21:13
:eek: I thought you were on a "tech" budget! How did you sneak that one by the umpire? :err: (Hence, I presume, your reason for selling the nano? ;) )
Yup. I'm in the red right now, but I'll be back in the black when I sell the nano. It's ok for me to overdraw my account as long as I don't end up with negative assets. :lol:

iDaver
2005-11-26, 23:36
how's the quality when hooked up to tv? And did you try to put a film up there that is formated in widescreen?
The video quality I've seen from TV shows purchased at iTMS, watched on a big screen, is slightly below that of standard NTSC TV. In other words, not great. We've a long way to go before iPod/iTunes video matches standard DVD quality or better.