PDA

View Full Version : Who's using Ruby on Rails?

alschmid
2005-11-26, 18:19
Does anyone of you use Ruby on Rails?
Coming from a PHP/Java background, I finally got it to run on Tiger using WebBrick and MySQL.
I'll have to admit (erm, even more than that, I'm really hooked): It runs circles around PHP (with no or a self-developed framework) in regards of development time and, hmm, joy. No more writing all those darn form-handling scripts from scratch, etc.
And: The totally object oriented approach suits me fine. Operator overloading (well, kind of)!
Setting it up to run on Tiger was a long story though...

Any experiences, similar or other?
al

pmazer
2005-11-26, 18:24
Yeah, it's quite nice. I use it for personal use, though I do have a couple commercial projects in mind. Getting some of the things set up in Tiger was a bit of a pain, yep. Those are mainly OSX issues, though, not Rails.

deuce868
2005-11-27, 10:30
I'm checking it out. I have a ton of php projects at work, but I'm going to try it out on a home project. To set it up on OSX I just grabbed Locomotive. It's all prepackaged and it lets me use my existing php package MAMP for the mysql server without any trouble.

I can't wait untli my pair of Ruby books show up from amazon.

torifile
2005-11-27, 11:08
I'm tempted. I've got a fairly big project I want to get done at work - a basic website redesign, along with php/mysql for form completions. I'm NO programmer by any stretch, but I dabble in it from time to time. Ruby on rails seems fantastic. I'm going to head over to B&N later to see what I can read.

deuce868
2005-11-27, 11:14
I would suggest you not use it for something that big and it sounds like a first project. I think back to the mess that was my first couple php projects and would never wish that on a new RoR project. You might want to get some experience with it before you start using it for large work projects.

Just a tip.

torifile
2005-11-27, 15:23
I would suggest you not use it for something that big and it sounds like a first project. I think back to the mess that was my first couple php projects and would never wish that on a new RoR project. You might want to get some experience with it before you start using it for large work projects.

Just a tip.
Thanks for the advice. :) I'll start small, to be sure. Like I said, it's something I want to work on, not something I HAVE to do. It's more of a hobby than anything else. I'm a geek... ;)

alschmid
2005-11-28, 02:45
I can't wait untli my pair of Ruby books show up from amazon.

Funny, exactly the same situation here...

deuce868
2005-11-28, 07:21
Mine finally shipped yesterday. You would think when it says "In stock" it would take less than a week to get out the door. Oh well...