PDA

View Full Version : Sony mini DVD-R/RW media not recognized

cooop
2004-07-29, 12:47
I own a second-generation Quicksilver Power Mac (dual 1 GHz) and I was recently given several 8cm mini-DVDs that were recorded onto by a fairly new Sony Handycam digital camcorder. Unfortunately, although Sony's website states that the media is recognized by most computers and DVD players, the blank-DVD dialog pops up and forces me to eject the disk. My two year-old Sony DVD player does not react positively to them either (after spinning it for a minute or so, tells me there is no disk inside). Is there anything I can do to force my DVD player or Power Mac to recognize the mini DVD as legitimate? Thanks in advance.

ast3r3x
2004-07-29, 13:31
Does it read on other PC's?

cooop
2004-07-29, 15:07
I wish I could say, but the Power Mac is all I have at my disposal.

ast3r3x
2004-07-30, 01:35
Does the sony dvd camera read the dvd's fine then?

cooop
2004-07-30, 01:40
I wish I could say, but I don't have the camera at my disposal, but even if I did, it's USB-2 only... stupid Sony. On the whole, it's a bad situation and I'm in a pickle. :(

ast3r3x
2004-07-30, 09:39
Well I could be wrong, but the format for mini DVD-R's isn't different from regular DVD-R's. Can you visually see information is burnt? I'd say there isn't information on them, or there is a problem with the disc. If your DVD burner can play regular sony DVD-R's, then I'd probably say the disc.

cooop
2004-07-30, 11:59
Yes, it does look like data has been burned to the disk. I don't know how the spec differs between full-size and 8cm DVD, but there must be some difference, since this spec page (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=DVP-NS700P&Submit=Search&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name) for my DVD player clearly seems to indicate that miniDVD is NOT supported, for whatever reason.

Incidentally, when I insert the disk in my Power Mac, the Finder tells me to initialize, eject, or ignore. I usually press ignore, but the Finder does not mount the disk. I can, however, go into apps like Disk Utility and Toast and "see" it (Toast and a few other "burning" apps refer to it as rdisk1, which I can only assume means RAM disk). I don't think this really helps much as I haven't been able to get past this point (i.e. trying to record from the disk in order to make a copy to burn on a "real" DVD always fails - but this makes sense if the system registers it as a RAM disk).

What do you think would happen if I pressed Initialize? Normally, initializing completely erases the disk, but I don't think that would happen with a DVD-R. Even so, I don't want to put the data on these disks at risk.... Thanks for your continued time.