PDA

View Full Version : Motion™ Where are you?!? :(

kraig911
2004-07-29, 13:02
I've been waiting forever, no one can tell me a release date. its just "sometime this summer" I really need it before september but alas I think i'm going to be screwed because I can't buy it after the fact then because I'll need time to change my whole workflow around :( Has anyone heard any timeline or anything on it?

Moogs
2004-07-29, 17:53
Yah, it almost feels a little like vaporware at this point, even though you know it's coming. At one point Amazon had a date of July 19 (if I remember right) but that got pushed back as the date approached. However Apple must've given them that date, because Amazon only publishes availability dates if they're given to them by the product manufacturer. Maybe they underestimated the time it would take to fix some of the bugs people have noted during demos and trade show use.

hmurchison
2004-07-29, 20:25
Could be shipping at Siggraph in 10 days. I know people already Certified in Motion.

synotic
2004-07-30, 07:04
BTW, something I've been wondering about. It was mentioned that Motion was heavily based on CoreVideo/CoreImage at WWDC right? So does this mean that us Panther users will get to experience those technologies before Tiger's released? It really seems like it would have been smart of Apple to wait on announcing Motion and then announced it next year, only on Tiger. Would be a good way to drive Tiger and Motion sales I think.

kraig911
2004-07-30, 08:55
I need it before Tiger comes out heh, my working season will be done an over. I'm ready to take After Effects out of my Dock.

hmurchison
2004-07-30, 13:04
BTW, something I've been wondering about. It was mentioned that Motion was heavily based on CoreVideo/CoreImage at WWDC right? So does this mean that us Panther users will get to experience those technologies before Tiger's released? It really seems like it would have been smart of Apple to wait on announcing Motion and then announced it next year, only on Tiger. Would be a good way to drive Tiger and Motion sales I think.

No Motion does not use Core Image/Video as those APIs are not available. Motion has it's own unique method for accessing the GPU that likely spawned Core Image but while Motion runs on panther it is not actually using the API.

I expect Motion to ship this month and then be updated in a version 1.5 or 2 next year where it will add full support for Core Image/Video. Motion has no way of tapping into anything like Image or Video units right now. By the time Tiger ships it should have a full implementation of OpenGL 2.0 with its high level shading language to complete the the API.

chucker
2004-07-30, 16:26
However Apple must've given them that date, because Amazon only publishes availability dates if they're given to them by the product manufacturer.

I wish that were true, but I know from experience that it is not.

Moogs
2004-07-30, 17:55
Hmm. That's odd because any time I've called and asked them about the date, they say they have no control over anything and just post what the manufacturer tells them. Alternately when I ask for availability of things with no specific date, they always tell me they're not given anything.

It may be a product by product difference. Books I know for example, they get all the availability dates straight from the publishers (I've verified it with publishers themselves on a number of occasions). Movies also follow this pattern. The info I get from the sneaky bastard at Blockbuster always coincides with the date Amazon ends up posting when the production description page is produced. Music too. And so far, all the software games I've bought followed this pattern too.

Maybe though, since we're talking Apple, it's just a guess on their part.

Frank777
2004-08-01, 02:29
I've been wondering if the introduction of Motion will finally see Apple move to offering a "suite" of video apps.

Adobe already does this in several sectors, and MS lives and dies by the Office suite.

If Apple really wants to dominate the DV field, doesn't it make sense to bundle Final Cut, Motion and DVD Studio Pro? Why make newcomers pay full price for everything?

chucker
2004-08-01, 16:12
Because Apple's pricing is already extremely low?

Moogs
2004-08-02, 09:22
Seriously, Motion looks to be a great deal. And probably 60% or more of the video professionals out there are more than set with Final Cut Express, which is also very reasonable. When Logic 7 and L7E are released you'll have great audio integration options too.

Moogs
2004-08-10, 08:22
Apple has released Motion as of this morning, apparently. Announced it at SIGGRAPH. http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/08/10/motion/

Frank777
2004-08-10, 08:29
I've been wondering if the introduction of Motion will finally see Apple move to offering a "suite" of video apps.

Adobe already does this in several sectors, and MS lives and dies by the Office suite.

If Apple really wants to dominate the DV field, doesn't it make sense to bundle Final Cut, Motion and DVD Studio Pro? Why make newcomers pay full price for everything?

It's so nice to be brilliant. Please don't all stand and cheer for me at once. ;)

Moogs
2004-08-10, 08:31
*Droooool*

http://www.apple.com/productionsuite/

$500 cheaper than buying them separately too. For Apple that's pretty good. I bet the Academic price is excellent. My question is whether the Academic versions will have any sort of disclaimer logos or whatever automatically inserted into the projects the way Director used to do.

LudwigVan
2004-08-10, 09:12
*Droooool*

$500 cheaper than buying them separately too. For Apple that's pretty good. I bet the Academic price is excellent. My question is whether the Academic versions will have any sort of disclaimer logos or whatever automatically inserted into the projects the way Director used to do.

According to the Apple Store (Education):

- Motion Academic: $199.00

- Production Suite Academic: $499.00

Moogs
2004-08-10, 09:17
According to the Apple Store (Education):

- Motion Academic: $199.00

- Production Suite Academic: $499.00

Yah, that's another ball of wax entirely, isn't it? Makes a man eager to expand his academic horizons and learn just a little bit more this coming school year. :D

killersquirel
2004-08-18, 09:05
*Droooool*

I have the academic versions of both Final Cut Pro 3 and Dvd Studio Pro 2 and I have had access to the academic version of FCP4 and the only difference between the academic and the regular versions is when the program is loading it says academic on the splash screen. Once the program is loaded the programs have the same full functionality as the regular version.

-mike

staph
2004-08-18, 11:01
Without adding any original content whatsoever, that's a very cool username, killersquirrel.

lol.

-S