PDA

View Full Version : Tivo or DVD Recorder?

ast3r3x
2005-12-14, 10:35
My brothers and I are going in on a present for my parents, but we can't decide what we want to do…

We've narrowed it down to a Toshiba DV-4 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7006571&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat13900050019&id=1099392260471) and a Tivo Series2 40hr (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6654881&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03021&id=1082742887515) with one year of service.

Now they are both about the same price, however they both offer some advantages over the other. I like that the DVDR can use the "chase" feature which allows you to start watching a show from the beginning while it's still recording. I also like that it's show are portable, then, I can just take out the DVD and take it where ever I go.

However the Tivo seems to be notoriously easy to use…even for people over 24!

Maybe some answers on the Tivo route might allow me to decide. Is there a way to get the shows off of it with a mac? Also does it still work (just without the automation) if you don't buy the service? Also, it says 40hours at minimal recording quality...what does that look like, how about at the best?

I think the DVR route is best, but I am not sure about Tivo. How about ReplayTV? They seem to offer a similar service and 2x as much recording time for only $20 more than the Tivo costs.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to order one of these tonight or tomorrow morning if that's possible.

torifile
2005-12-14, 11:01
I'm sure you can find a lower price than you saw it at Best Buy, if that matters. And TiVo seems to be pretty simple to use. That's a big factor when buying gifts for non-geeks. I'm sure there's a way to get the videos off (I don't know how, personally, but if it's digital, it can be gotten). Think simple and not necessarily best...

ast3r3x
2005-12-14, 13:09
Well the ReplayTV interface seems to be simple, I just haven't heard much about that as compared to TiVo. I think they both would be cheaper than a DVDR though. Just need to decide which, I like the ReplayTV better, but TiVo is more popular.

Yonzie
2005-12-14, 13:17
You don't want a DVD-recorder. What you want is a harddrive recorder.
The Tosh doesn't have a harddrive so...

It's pretty simple really. VHS is dead. The difference from VHS to DVD is pretty small, with the difference that the DVD is more like a very small portable harddrive. Let's just dispose of this media-changing crud once and for all and use DVDs for what they were really designed for - longer term storage.
With a harddrive-recorder with DVD-burner you get the best of both worlds, however, this might be too expensive.

ast3r3x
2005-12-14, 14:01
Well we do long term storage, or would if we had stuff on DVD's. However if I can find a way to transfer stuff off of either of them then I could make my own DVD's after I edit them.

Quagmire
2005-12-14, 14:45
Tivo. I like it. Select shows you want to keep until you want to delete them. If you want you could transfer them to VHS(I am sure it could do DVD as well as the connectors should be the same). Tivo is the better buy.

ast3r3x
2005-12-14, 14:57
Tivo. I like it. Select shows you want to keep until you want to delete them. If you want you could transfer them to VHS(I am sure it could do DVD as well as the connectors should be the same). Tivo is the better buy.
But why? I don't think I can transfer movies easily to my mac, and TiVo has a smaller HD. I'm leaning towards ReplayTV unless there are some reasons that TiVo is the way to go. My biggest fear is ReplayTV going under :lol:

I've been comparing them with this (http://egotron.com/ptv/ptvintro.htm) page and it seems that ReplayTV comes out on top. I wish I could use one first though, but it seems to be just as simple as TiVo from what I can tell.

Plus, I can pull things off of ReplayTV. I wasn't leaning towards that until I read the comparison, but I think that might be the best. Does anyone know anywhere that would have these to play with? I know BestBuy sells TiVo, but I was going to buy off of their website if I get that since their rebates are instant then.

Phoenix
2005-12-14, 15:11
I have a STB with a hard drive in it here, and when i want to get something onto a computer i just put the connectors through my camera and then firewire it to the mac. It's pretty easy. I think it would be the same there wouldn't it?

ast3r3x
2005-12-14, 15:26
No firewire camera.