PDA

View Full Version : Earphones

faramirtook
2005-12-15, 17:45
I'm looking for a good pair of earphones, for approximately $100-$200. I really know very little about earphones.

Should I get ones with the flanges or without? Comfort is a must. Any suggested brands, models, lines, or anything else would be appreciated.

atomicbartbeans
2005-12-15, 17:59
They're not really that expensive, but the Apple in-ear phones are surprisingly good. I'd go and check them out. :)

faramirtook
2005-12-15, 18:05
They're not really that expensive, but the Apple in-ear phones are surprisingly good. I'd go and check them out. :)

I have them already. ;) I'm not really happy with them, they're falling apart. They make a good sound, but they're not too comfortable. I've tried all the sizes.

torifile
2005-12-15, 18:08
As always, Shure e3 or e4 are good and my recommendations. Right in your price range. If you want more bass, I hear (har de har har) the Etymotics headphones are good.

Yontsey
2005-12-15, 18:14
i have the sony fontopia 70-mlx or something like that. i know theyre fontopia 70-something, but anyway, i like them a lot. theyre like the apple in-ear, but a lot better in my mind. im using them right now actually. the sound quality is suprisingly good and decent bass. they come with 3 in-ear size caps or whatever you want to call them, and a case for them. i dont know retail but i paid like $35 for them on ebay. i wanna say retail is like $60 or more. hope this helps

chucker
2005-12-15, 18:28
I'm looking for a good pair of earphones, for approximately $100-$200. I really know very little about earphones.

Try them out in a store. Try them out for a long time. Maybe bring some home or try a friends'. Make absolutely sure your ears find them comfortable after extensive use.

Should I get ones with the flanges or without? Comfort is a must.

Depends entirely on the shape of your ears! Therefore, subjective.

Any suggested brands, models, lines, or anything else would be appreciated.

Shure, Sennheiser, Bose, Koss...

atomicbartbeans
2005-12-15, 18:40
I've always found http://www.headphone.com/ very helpful.

johnny5w
2005-12-15, 18:52
i have the sony fontopia 70-mlx or something like that. i know theyre fontopia 70-something, but anyway, i like them a lot. theyre like the apple in-ear, but a lot better in my mind. im using them right now actually. the sound quality is suprisingly good and decent bass. they come with 3 in-ear size caps or whatever you want to call them, and a case for them. i dont know retail but i paid like $35 for them on ebay. i wanna say retail is like $60 or more. hope this helps

The sound with these is amazing for the price, but I've gone through two pairs already. If you get these keep the receipt because one of the ears will most likely go bad after a while.

dazwan
2005-12-15, 19:01
Hi, this is my first post so go easy on me!

Try www.headwize.com as well for some good reviews/opinions on headphones (it's usually my first port of call when looking for new cans)

Are you only considering "in-ear" phones? It depends on where you plan on using your headphones, but I prefer to use my Sennheiser HD555's rather than canal-phones. The sound is so much better and the whole listening experience ismuch less tiring than when I use my Sony canal phones (which granted will not be anywhere near as good as the Shure or etymotics). You migh consider looking at the Koss Sporta-Pro's/Porta-Pro's they look like they are fresh out of the 80's, but from all accounts the sound is excellent and they are V.Cheap. (well below your $100 price mark).

torifile
2005-12-15, 19:03
I usually hit up head-fi.org for information. faramir, at your budget you shouldn't have any trouble finding something that makes you happy. :)

faramirtook
2005-12-15, 19:11
Hi, this is my first post so go easy on me!

Try www.headwize.com as well for some good reviews/opinions on headphones (it's usually my first port of call when looking for new cans)

Are you only considering "in-ear" phones? It depends on where you plan on using your headphones, but I prefer to use my Sennheiser HD555's rather than canal-phones. The sound is so much better and the whole listening experience ismuch less tiring than when I use my Sony canal phones (which granted will not be anywhere near as good as the Shure or etymotics). You migh consider looking at the Koss Sporta-Pro's/Porta-Pro's they look like they are fresh out of the 80's, but from all accounts the sound is excellent and they are V.Cheap. (well below your $100 price mark).

Well, I'm mostly going to be skiing with these, so I think in-ear would work the best.

dazwan
2005-12-15, 19:23
You're probably right! From looking around the forums, I'd go with the Shure or etymotics as I only hear good things about these (can't do any more than reccomend the brands as I don't own a pair of either myself).

I do own some of the Sony MDR-EX71's and although they are better than the iPod buds I won't be getting another pair. Opinion is usually split quite evenly on these 'phones, but they are cheap and I guess for the price are worth it (they just aren't as good as full size cans IMO). I live in the UK and they cost around £30 over here, so they'll most likely cost around $30 (ever get the feeling we're being ripped off in the UK?)

bb823
2005-12-15, 20:13
I own some Sony mdx-80s. They're pretty good, though they are cheaper than what you are looking for. The wrap-around the ear doesn't really make any difference. Meh, I probably won't buy another pair...

Maciej
2005-12-15, 20:14
Oh god, how can you ski with headphones? I need to be able to hear the snow underneath me... meh, to each their own. And if you are going skiing with them, I would really recommend something cheap, light, and not completely isolating - just in case you do need to hear someone trying to warn you about something...

I am a particularly fond of Head Phone Reviews (http://headphonereviews.org/), they're a site run by some of the members of Head Fi (http://www.head-fi.org/) and both are quite the reliable sources. I have a pair of the Etymotics ER-4P's, which I love. Great high end, decent low end for an ear canal, and they're tiny, and quite isolating.

faramirtook
2005-12-15, 20:22
Oh god, how can you ski with headphones? I need to be able to hear the snow underneath me... meh, to each their own. And if you are going skiing with them, I would really recommend something cheap, light, and not completely isolating - just in case you do need to hear someone trying to warn you about something...

I am a particularly fond of Head Phone Reviews (http://headphonereviews.org/), they're a site run by some of the members of Head Fi (http://www.head-fi.org/) and both are quite the reliable sources. I have a pair of the Etymotics ER-4P's, which I love. Great high end, decent low end for an ear canal, and they're tiny, and quite isolating.

Yeah, maybe I'll use my Apple in-ears for skiing. I don't have mad skiing skillz, so sound isn't that important.

intlplby
2005-12-15, 23:55
i have the ER-4S and they are awesome..... 2 year warranty..... they isolate up to 23dB, which as far as i know is more than any other canal phones..... i can listen comfortably at a safe volume almost anywhere....keep in mind, with canalphones you will need to get used to them... they are uncomfortable at first, but that goes away after about a week of used......the other problems with canalphones is that you will hear your heartbeat for the first week or so, eventually your brain learns to filter out that sound completely since it is so regular, i don't hear mine when using them anymore... the last thing about canalphones is they suffer from microphonics (i think that's the right word) - basically a stethoscope effect.... any hitting on the cord or rubbing on your clothes will be amplified (same effect as pressing your ear to a desk and hitting it).....as a result you need to use the included clip to reduce this effect.... it is also very noticeable at first and then mostly goes away.

get them from www.discountheadphones.com - by far the best price on etys, shures etc....... i think the ER-4S is around 200 there... elsewhere it retails for more than 300

don't get the ER-4S though... get the ER-4P.... i got the S because i occasionally use them with a small amplifier......

i've heard good things about the ER-6i too which is about 100 and matches the ipod.

in sum... canalphones are my recommendation, but remember that they won't be comfortable initially and they suffer from microphonics.... this goes away in time.... 1-2 weeks

faramirtook
2005-12-29, 22:03
I'm gonna get the ER6. They seem better than the 6i and only coast a small bit more.

daMACdaddy
2005-12-29, 22:18
It depends on what you use them for!!!!
If they are for stay at home or work then a nice pair is great...but I've always found that the WAY I use earphones they don't last no matter what pair or maker! I go all around town and listen 5+ hours a day...usage like this will kill any pair so make sure your wallet can take it. I buy a cheap pair of Sony's every couple of months to replace the old ones which I will surely manange to short out...:devil:

faramirtook
2005-12-29, 22:20
It depends on what you use them for!!!!
If they are for stay at home or work then a nice pair is great...but I've always found that the WAY I use earphones they don't last no matter what pair or maker! I go all around town and listen 5+ hours a day...usage like this will kill any pair so make sure your wallet can take it. I buy a cheap pair of Sony's every couple of months to replace the old ones which I will surely manange to short out...:devil:

Mostly stay at home with car rides and bus rides really.

intlplby
2005-12-30, 06:55
not at all... my ER4Ps are super solid....... the cord is the best earbud cord i have used ...... they are fantastic.... the only thing you have to worry about is snagging them on things, but that goes for any earphones

ast3r3x
2005-12-30, 08:07
Keep in mind that Shure's tend to give a slightly warmer sound, while Etymotics seems to either be closer to dead on balls accurate, or a little cooler with a sharper sound.

Although I haven't heard about the E4's, maybe they are different and not on the warmer side.

PB PM
2005-12-30, 14:47
Personally I use a cheapo Panasonic RP-HS71 ($20), the kind that rests over your ears, not plugs, and no bulky headset. I rather like them, although I depends on what you do, I think the sound qulity is great, but thats just me.