PDA

View Full Version : Brother printer problem

azaza
2004-07-31, 21:43
I would be most grateful for some advice:
Problem - Beige G3, upgraded with XLR8 G4 600 MHz, 3rd party USB card. OS9.2.2 recognises the presence of the printer, but the Brother MC 9760 does not show in the Chooser. Latest Brother drivers. OS X 10.2.8 will print to the printer.
Tried to: Zap the PRAM x 4, all combinations of printer on/off, USB plug in/out, rebuilt the desktop, re installed the drivers etc. And, yes, installed Adapter card support 1.4.1 on a pre OS9 system, and then progressively upgraded.
Anyone out there had a similar problem and licked it ?

EDS66
2004-08-03, 09:18
I would be most grateful for some advice:
Problem - Beige G3, upgraded with XLR8 G4 600 MHz, 3rd party USB card. OS9.2.2 recognises the presence of the printer, but the Brother MC 9760 does not show in the Chooser. Latest Brother drivers. OS X 10.2.8 will print to the printer.
Tried to: Zap the PRAM x 4, all combinations of printer on/off, USB plug in/out, rebuilt the desktop, re installed the drivers etc. And, yes, installed Adapter card support 1.4.1 on a pre OS9 system, and then progressively upgraded.
Anyone out there had a similar problem and licked it ?

I think it's the USB card. OS 9 did not have a very robust support of third party USB cards, despite of the claims. Did the USB card come with it's own enabling drivers? If yes, did you install them? Try installing them if you didn't.

Does the printer have a network connection. Because if it's networked, it would be a lot easier to set up by connecting it to the Mac's ethernet port or to a hub/switch connected to the Mac. If the printer does not have a network port, then you can get a print server from Brother (it attaches to the printer's parallel port). Or, for one half of Brother's price you can get the same thing from Netgear, about $60.00.

Oh yes, and check the extensions manager to make sure that all the relevant USB extensions are turned on.