PDA

View Full Version : Strange icon appears and dissapears.How to get rid of it?

LINDA.p
2004-08-01, 00:57
Strange icon appears and dissapears by itself, at random,on the top right corner of the screen. Usually but not only when PShop5 or Illustrator 8 is open. Accompanied with chirping sound similar to dial tone of the modem.
when computer is either on or off line.
When the sound starts computer stops performing the current operation and when the sound stops computer continues work as usual.
Did try to remove this iritating problem with carefully selecting proper modem assuming (because of the sound) something may be wrong with the modems. No result.
Any idea what may make this icon to appear and how to eliminate it?

Compiter - iMac 333Mhz, OS9.

By the way we didn't find anything about problem like this on other or identical iMacs.

Thanks in advance!

Linda

DMBand0026
2004-08-01, 01:26
Maybe someone can help you out better with this than I can, but I might be able to assist you more if you could get a screenshot of the icon you're talking about. It's been a good long while since I've used OS 9, so seeing the icon would certainly help.

EDS66
2004-08-03, 09:06
It almost sounds like the computer is trying to establish a dial-up connection to the Internet. I guess this would make sense if Photoshop and Illustrator are configured to automatically search for available updates on the Internet. A screenshot of the icon that appears in the top right-hand corner would be useful.

Mr Beardsley
2004-08-03, 16:59
My Photoshop Elements always tries to connect to the internet when I launch it. I bet your programs are doing the same thing.

LINDA.p
2004-08-05, 21:49
Thanks for the tip about the Elements in PShop5 which may try to connect to the web!
How to disable them?

Also, even when PShop is not on the computer still displays the strange icon!

Yes, I do have a screenshot of the strange icon, saved as jpg but still can't figure out how to ivclude it into my reply because I'm not into HTML and all coding instructions are outside my field of knowledge. Any help about this?

Thanks
Linda