PDA

View Full Version : Do you DVR?

HOM
2004-05-17, 21:09
I've been bombarded recently with ads from my cable company offering me a DVR cable box. I looked into a TiVO a while ago, but the rates and storage didn't seem like a great deal. But for $7 a month I can get a 40 hour DVR from them.

So I pose the following questions. Do you have a DVR system? If so, what company? What features does it have? And most importantly, do you like it?

applenut
2004-05-17, 21:13
I have the DirecTV Tivo system at home for a couple bucks a month. Once you get it you wonder how you lived without it. So much easier....don't feel like I have to make decisions on what to watch, just record what i want and watch it when i can. skip commercials....can pause, fast forward.

I have EyeTV for the dorm/laptop and that works amazingly well as well.

Love both, highly recommend. Apparently my brother has hacked the DirecTV/Tivo cuz now he gets the video straight off the receiver to the computer.

alcimedes
2004-05-17, 21:18
the only reason i'd want one is so i could convert my aqua teen fix into DVD's.

thuh Freak
2004-05-17, 21:41
i want one, but i can't justify a service to myself. what does the service add? doesn't an independant box do everything you need of it? i plan ("hope") to have enuf cash for a new computer this summer, and i planned on making it into a dvr.

Wickers
2004-05-17, 22:39
Well I don't get cable... but back when I got cable I built a media PC for the livingroom. It just sat there and fed the TV signal to the TV whenever it was on... I only had a 40gig in it so I could not hold much but I never missed an ep. of TSS... It was great for gaming too... Quake looks great on a TV.

Then we got digital cable and a special box so I could not feed it through the media system... it was only used for games and music but mostly collected dust... I later gutted it for other systems because it was not being used...

I then looked into PVRs but found that they were all to expensive...
The price has dropped now but I still think they are to high...
But hey if you can get it for 7 a month, go for it.

hyperb0le
2004-05-17, 22:39
I've got a ReplayTV. I love it. I only wish the GUI was a bit nicer-looking (It isn't ugly, but it isn't beautiful either)

NosferaDrew
2004-05-17, 23:14
I have a TiVo (Series One). Had it for about five years and it's heavily upgraded.

I have a 300 hours of storage via Weaknees.com (http://www.weaknees.com/) and a TurboNet card (http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm) that allows me to hook my TiVo up to my network so that I can do fun things. ;)

DirecTV + TiVo = Happiness»

kraig911
2004-05-17, 23:25
Tivo has the best interface, and it can hook into itunes supposedly. A friend of mine has it on hers and she uses it all the time for that. I also work with a guy here that just says "record everything on tuscany" and bam come back a week later and you got about 6 hours related too Tuscany, which I think is cool. Not to mention just the ease. I have a DVR from time warner cable, and while the interface is shitty, I got it because the promotion they are offering made it considerably cheaper but you never know. Once you get in the habit of recording crap you find you are actually getting your money's worth for your cable.

Crusader
2004-05-19, 14:33
My friend has DirectTV DVR and it was awesome to use during the Superbowl. Replaying the two missed kicks by the Patriots was hilarious, as well as the Janet Jackson thing. Now if only I could get my parents to get one before I move out soon.

machem
2004-05-19, 15:36
I have a series2 TiVo, and I'd really like to get a DirectTiVo, but right now DTvo doesn't support the Home Media Option (iPhoto and iTunes support). On the other hand, the S2 doesn't play/record at the same time (DishTV), so my TiVo'ing is limited because my wife still insists on watching things at their normal time, instead of whenever it's convenient.

I'm hacking my S2 at the moment --- gotta finish that up before the Tour comes on in July.

Ebby
2004-05-19, 16:36
Funny you started this thread. A friend has a TiVO and she has nothing but great things to say about it. I however, do not like subscription services. I just know I'm going to grow up to be a big'ol scrooge. :D

This summer, I am planning to build my own DVR for fun. I just started looking at cases a week ago. I'll probably install MythTV since it seems to be popular, but TiVO's integration with iTunes and Apple products still has my interest. I wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Anyway, this should be a fun hobby. :cool:

PS: There are utilities for TiVO (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11370) and ReplayTV (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11591) for those of you who don't know they are out there.