PDA

View Full Version : an favicon

Mac+
2004-08-02, 01:23
I thought I'd start a new thread b/c I didn't want to derail the "Smilies, emoticons, etc." (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=17855#post17855) thread.

From that thread:

Since it was changed from the default vB logo, the AppleNova favicon has *always* been white "an" text on a dark gray background.

I still suspect there's something funky with your computer's color settings. Have you tried looking at AppleNova on someone else's computer? Sometimes CRTs (LCDs too) can get distorted or faded in splotches. I've seen one old CRT that was really bad like this; the left two inches of the screen had a greenish tint.Hi again Brad - and any other "colour-setting knowledgeable" folk out there. :)

Here's my image (http://homepage.mac.com/ajsonego/lookatthis/an_favicon_yellow.jpg).

What I don't get is:
1) "applenova" shows up as white but the an favicon shows up as yellow
2) no matter where I drag it on the screen (to test for faded splotches) the colour still remains yellow! (btw - this is not a CRT - it is an LCD for a 15" TiPB.)

Can you (or anybody else) tell me anything about colour settings for my computer?

TIA.
Mac+
I haven't managed to check it out on another computer yet - but will do so hopefully sometime at Uni this week.

Wrao
2004-08-02, 01:58
I only get the favicon on the main page, it doesn't show up on the forum index. :\

Brad
2004-08-02, 02:42
Can you (or anybody else) tell me anything about colour settings for my computer?Bizarro. Now I see what you mean.

I can't remember if I'd asked you this before. Have you deleted all of the caches and Safari preferences? Namely: ~/Library/Caches and ~/Library/Safari/Icons

Brad
2004-08-02, 02:44
I only get the favicon on the main page, it doesn't show up on the forum index. :\If you're using Safari and you are stuck with the original ? icon, you'll have to manually delete the icons folder I mentioned above. Safari caches site icons and never bothers to update them.

Alternatively, you may be having problems because of our IP address changing. In that case, it'll be working fine for you in a couple of days.

Wrao
2004-08-02, 02:55
that lil bugger:p

alls well now.

Paul
2004-08-02, 03:50
could it be an anti-aliasing issue? Mac+ in the Appearance pane of system preferences what are your text smoothing settings?

Mac+
2004-08-02, 05:23
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Brad - I have deleted ~/Library/Caches and ~/Library/Safari/Icons. I then rebooted my machine and every Safari icon was the "blue globe". Then I hit applenova forums and the old yellow "an" is back. I don't know why this is so - but I'm hoping that this is the only thing that is affected colour wise on my system. Do the rest of my colours on that web page snapshot of applenova look correct? I'm buying a synthesizer this week and the vendor said he'd custom paint it the same blue as another image on his site - I just want to make sure that we are seeing and agreeing to the same blue!

Paul - my System Prefs setting (10.2.6) GENERAL: is strong font smoothing style and turn off font smoothing for text sizes 8 and smaller.

Thanks again for the effort to help me out - I really do appreciate the support network and friendly help from the an community! :)

Akumulator
2004-08-02, 18:43
Is it not supposed to be yellow? :confused:

Luca
2004-08-02, 18:46
No, it's not. Then again, it doesn't show up for me at all on a PC running Firefox. And I'm fairly sure that Firefox actually checks for new favicons, unlike Safari, which just loads them once and never updates them ever.

Oh well. It shows up fine on Safari.

Akumulator
2004-08-02, 18:48
It shows up yellow on brown here at my job on several Macs running Jaguar (both Safari and Camino)... now that I think about it... I don't think it's yellow at my house on Panther.

Brad
2004-08-02, 18:49
could it be an anti-aliasing issue? Mac+ in the Appearance pane of system preferences what are your text smoothing settings?These setting wouldn't matter because it's just a static graphic; there's nothing to antialias.

I'll snag the icon file and see if there's something wrong with it...

_Ω_
2004-08-02, 18:51
I use the fox on a dell - looks fine.

With my Ti on Safari all looks fine as well.

[Fine = white]

Brad
2004-08-02, 19:31
Trash your icons folder and try again.

I just replaced the existing 32-bit image with a lower-quality 8-bit image. It's worth a shot... :\

DMBand0026
2004-08-02, 20:03
I've always been fine with the icon. Safari 1.2.2 (v125.8) on 10.3.4.

12" PB 1.33ghz

Looks just fine from here.

Mac+
2004-08-03, 03:30
Trash your icons folder and try again.

I just replaced the existing 32-bit image with a lower-quality 8-bit image. It's worth a shot... :\

That seemed to do the trick - any explanation as to why the 32-bit image showed up as yellow on Safari and 10.2.6?

Thanks again Brad. :)

(sorry if the image is too wide - I was in a rush ... got a rehearsal to go to.)

http://homepage.mac.com/ajsonego/lookatthis/an_favicon_white.jpg

psgamer0921
2004-08-03, 14:52
No, it's not. Then again, it doesn't show up for me at all on a PC running Firefox. And I'm fairly sure that Firefox actually checks for new favicons, unlike Safari, which just loads them once and never updates them ever.

Oh well. It shows up fine on Safari.
Favicons always work for me on Firefox. What version do you have?

Luca
2004-08-03, 15:43
This is a fairly old build, 20040206. I don't often re-download Firefox here because at the library, it's a hassle. The older versions still work fine.

So if that's the case... whatever, it's not a big deal. Just so long as it works on my Mac :).

onlyafterdark
2004-08-03, 16:02
Camino works fine for me. Some sites dont work (AI for example) but for the most part Camino is good.

Mac+
2004-08-04, 01:45
Brad - any news as to why the 32-bit image showed the "an" letters as yellow on my system - and why the 8-bit letters appear as white? (just curious) :)