PDA

View Full Version : iPod Car Integration - Tips?

Mr Ten
2005-12-21, 22:53
I have a 60GB ipod that I want to integrate with a vehicle that doesn't come with the accessory / bluetooth option to show any information on-screen, nor does it offer onboard remote control of the iPod. Whatever I choose, I do not want it to interrupt any current options, I prefer a DIRECT audio connection and nothing via radio / FM signals, and if at all possible, I'd like my steering wheel controls to influence song / album selection. I figure that since this is a popular vehicle, there must be a number of choices available for iPod integration.

2005 Escalade w/navigation + XM satellite radio

Steering wheel (options that could pertain to ipod use):
- prog = on radio: jumps from preset to preset; on cd: jumps from disc to disc
- source +/- = up / down buttons that cycle through radio / xm / cd sections

Anyone have ideas on how to integrate an ipod here? Suggestions? Links?

Possible to output ipod screen to navigation screen (re-program my head unit)?

I'm wondering if the iPod should just be cradled in a hiding spot and used direct, just wired to charge and output direct audio.

I appreciate any and all tips. Not sure if this the appropriate forum thread for this, as each post certainly has some crossover propensity.

Thanks.

ast3r3x
2005-12-21, 23:08
I've always wanted to get one of these (http://www.autobytel.com/content/research/channels/index.cfm/channel/cartv_video/action/showvideo/vid/ct_0006/vscat/NULL/vcat/Car_Tip?s_prefs=h&vid=ct_0006&vcat=Car_Tip&vscat=NULL). As they don't make any real adapter for my Isuzu.

alcimedes
2005-12-21, 23:10
find some escalade forums. they should have some real world examples of what you can do.

if you're not willing to use something other than the stock head unit, you'll definately want to check escalade forums. a lot of stuff that works with one manf.'s head unit won't work with another.

FFL
2005-12-21, 23:48
I'm wondering if the iPod should just be cradled in a hiding spot and used direct, just wired to charge and output direct audio. That's probably the most practical approach.