PDA

View Full Version : Defective LCD panel?

nicolasg
2004-08-03, 18:19
Last week I recieved my brand new iBook G4 ... can you imagine how happy I was when it actually arrived at my door? probably :) well, I dunno how long it lasted though, cause this morning as I was working... my oh my what is that that I noticed.... a black dot ? must be some dirty....*wipes finger across the screen* it doesn't go away :S

Now, our dear stevegong suggests it could be a "stuck" pixel, but as far as I am aware, stuck pixels get stuck on a color... while mine is "stuck" at no particular color but black.

What to do then, I remember reading about defective LCD regulations being that a LCD is considered defective only if a certain amount of pixels are dead within a certain region an blah blahbalh... I don't even know what is wrong here, and it certainly isn't mroe than 1 pixel (judging from the size, it's hardly noticeable, specially if you don't know it's there)...

should I send it back to Apple and ask for them to change it?

psgamer0921
2004-08-03, 18:27
Would it be a dead pixel? But if it's that small, I don't think they'd offer to fix it.

stevegong
2004-08-03, 18:30
I have a feeling Nic's screen is defective.

Even after a correct calibration, it looks far too blue.

His screen should be the same screen as mine, but when we both use the same colour profiles, (ie generic rgb) his looks uncomfortably blue and un natural.

I think something's up. Anything know anything about blue screens?

nicolasg
2004-08-03, 18:33
ah yes, dead pixel, forgot to mention that's what I'd say it was... but why would they not offer to change it, I shouldn't have any dead pixels within the first week of having my iBook here should I! infact, it's so hardly noticeable that I guess it could have been there even when I first got iBook, just hadn't noticed it yet... but like now that I know it's there, it's like the only thing I cann see on my screen :S

psgamer0921
2004-08-03, 18:45
From what I've heard, they will only repair it if it's got a certain number of defective pixles, but you could try it. They could suprise me

DMBand0026
2004-08-03, 19:25
Well, I was going to suggest that you take it into an Apple store, but being in Italy as you are, that poses somewhat of a problem. If you think the colors really are messed up than call Apple and complain. If it's just one dead pixel, that sucks man :\

Glad to hear you've been satisfied thus far though. Glad you're enjoying your iBook :)

stevegong
2004-08-03, 19:47
our dear Nicolas used to be a die hard windows fan.
:lol:

But that sux, I feel bad about it because it's his first mac and he's got a dead pixel...

Try massaging it more..see you tomorrow at the Libyan lunch.

Paul
2004-08-03, 19:54
where is the pixel on the screen?
if it is near the center you could make an argument that it a "serious" problem that needs to be addressed... especially if thats all you see...

but I would suggest trying to ignore it for a week

you could also try to gently massage it, but that usually only works for stuck, not dead, pixels...