PDA

View Full Version : SMALLEST printer possible for travelling pb owner?

malcolm
2005-12-30, 10:22
Hi all,
I travel a lot, and want to be able to update notes "in the field", as they say. If I could always do this in the comfort of a hotel room, I could choose from any number of smallish printers, but I need to print updated notes and schedules and what-not anywhere from the back of a cab to the top of my lap in a coffee shop.
Any suggestions re the smallest printer I can get my hands on? I'd want it to be able to run off batteries, at least some of the time. Bluetooth would be great, but if needs be, I'd hook up via USB. It doesn't have to print on full-size paper either.
Thanks for any tips,
mhcbc

Brad
2005-12-30, 10:29
Just from browsing Canon's product page, the i80 looks pretty small.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=9786
Physical Dimensions: 12.4" W x 6.9" D x 2.0" H
Weight: 4 lbs.

The photo printers are shorter, but thicker and deeper, such as the Selphy:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=118&modelid=10593
Physical Dimensions: 8.5" (L), 3.1"(H) x 8.5" (W)
Weight: 3.97 lbs.

I don't think anything will comfortably print while you're sitting in the back of a cab, though.

malcolm
2005-12-30, 12:44
[QUOTE=Brad]Just from browsing Canon's product page, the i80 looks pretty small.

Thanks Brad. I did do a bit of a search myself, before posting my question, and I saw this one, which looks nice. But I remember seeing a much smaller printer while surfing the web a few months ago - - it was really small, almost hand-held size (and only printed on smaller paper, but I could live with that) - - I didn't make a note of it at the time because it worked only with Windows PCs.
I guess I was hoping there was something like it for Mac OS.

If anyone else rememberts seeing this little one, or one like it, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise, thank you for the tip about the i80.
Cheers,
mhcbc

MCQ
2005-12-30, 13:26
Another option to the Canon i80 is the Deskjet portable 450/460 series
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=storefronts&category=inkjets&subcat1=portable&AOID=1032

About the same size as the i80 though.

Drws
2006-01-02, 23:25
The Pentax is the smallest printer to use with a PB. The only drawback is the need to use Pentax thermal paper. It is battery operated, (or 110V) the quality of the output is great, the speed is about 2-3 pages per minute, and the printer is completely quiet. I use mine all the time "on the road"
The newest model (about $500) uses Bluetooth and probably can easily be paired with a PB for completely wireless operation.

LudwigVan
2006-01-03, 01:09
Here's a link to those Pentax PocketJet printers:

http://www.pentaxtech.com/Products/pocketjets.html

pilot1129
2006-01-03, 20:55
the i90 replaced the i80. i have the 90, its great! best is getting a battery pack for it and it'll print easily everywhere.

FFL
2006-01-03, 21:32
The i90 is also known as having comparable speed and quality to Canon's consumer desktops - a pretty unique feature of a portable printer.

Brave Ulysses
2006-01-03, 21:40
The i90 is also known as having comparable speed and quality to Canon's consumer desktops - a pretty unique feature of a portable printer.

I have the i70. Their first version. It's wonderful. The quality is very comparable to my Epson Photo R800. And it's pretty speedy. The i90 only improves upon it and has the addition of bluetooth i believe. IMO, you can't beat it.

FFL
2006-01-03, 22:01
if someone gave me, for free, any inkjet printer other than a Canon, I'd sell it on eBay and use the money for buying a Canon.

They're that much better than any other inkjet you can get right now.

chucker
2006-01-03, 22:31
What he said.

SonOfSylvanus
2006-01-04, 06:51
I've got a Canon ip90. I bought it for the smallness and the fact that it matched my PB, Lacie D2 and ACD. Its very good. Reasonably quick, not to shabby colour reproduction, not too loud. Gets through ink quite quickly though.