PDA

View Full Version : iPod video

patrickatm08
2005-12-30, 15:44
I hope your holiday season has been wonderful.

I'm considering asking for a 60gb video iPod for my upcoming birthday. My music library quickly outgrew my mini's storage capacity and would like to upgrade. One of the things that really attracts me to the video is the, duh, video capabilities. Do any of you smart people know if it would be possible to use the iPod as a video player. I would like to be able put movies on there (My friend did this via a third party application) and then watch them on a TV using the included cords. Would the resolution make this impossible or does this idea actually have a future to it? I think it would be great to be able to store about 10 movies on there to take on vacation or what not. I have no experience with the photo iPod and what the on screen quality it had.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Windowsrookie
2005-12-30, 17:05
the only problem is the screen, if you wanted to watch them on the ipod and tv, you would have to encode the movie twice in diffrent resolutions. Because the ipods screen is 320*240 it would look awfull on a tv.

eochs
2005-12-30, 17:36
also, the cords aren't included, you need to buy them... As long as you record using Mpeg-4 instead of H.264 you can go larger then 320x240 (although the iPod's screen will scale it down to 320x240)... Mpeg-4 should let you record at 640x480, which on a smaller tv would look ok... Trying to hook it up to a big screen would be really ugly though...

pkatzman
2005-12-30, 18:17
also, the cords aren't included, you need to buy them... As long as you record using Mpeg-4 instead of H.264 you can go larger then 320x240 (although the iPod's screen will scale it down to 320x240)... Mpeg-4 should let you record at 640x480, which on a smaller tv would look ok... Trying to hook it up to a big screen would be really ugly though...

I've encoded stuff at 320x240 and watched it on a TV and it wasn't too bad. Personally, I wouldn't use that resolution on anything bigger than 24". If you encode in MPEG4 (Handbrake is a good Mac program to do this) you can go up to 480x480 (or widescreen equivalent) and you iPod will scale it down.

Also, don't get ripped off by Apple for the video out cord, buy a standard one for video cameras and such. You'll just need to use the red plug for video and the yellow and white for audio.