PDA

View Full Version : Submissions now being accepted for my first AppleNova article

murbot
2004-08-04, 16:09
That's right. Chuck your mental workings on this subject at me. If one hits and sticks, the front page of AppleNova will rock your world next week.

The only rule for submissions is that there are no rules.

Submissions will be accepted until Friday at lunch.

DMBand0026
2004-08-04, 16:12
Why dudes that use aluminum PowerBooks get more action.

I don't think there is a need to write an article on anything else.

Unless you wanted to write one about the benefits of eBaying (or as we call it murBaying) your computer every few months. Cause I never really understood that. :)

psmith2.0
2004-08-04, 17:41
This is too easy:

"Ebay is Your Friend: Turning a Profit and Making Your Dreams Come True in the Digital Flea-Market"

Next question?

:p

- How to write an attention-getting headline
- Finding appropriate "stars and stripes" clip art to accentuate whatever you're selling
- The tasteful use of nudity to help sell your item
- Dealing with dickheads
- How to take pictures to make your stuff look bigger/shinier/cooler than it really is
- "You call it shipping charges, I call it keg money"

...and on and on...

Windswept
2004-08-04, 18:22
Topic: the Jekyll and Hyde personalities of Murbot/Murbo/Murboh/Murbeau/Murbotsky. :D

Topic: how people who own Powerbooks are smarter, more charismatic, and WAY better-looking than your ordinary, run-of-the-mill laptop owners.

Actually, that topic would be great for a research project. I mean, seriously. I think people who love Apple are a breed apart from the rest of humanity, and I know you all agree with that. hahaha :D Someone should look into this matter for real. :)

Messiahtosh
2004-08-04, 19:15
Well I own a 15'' PowerBook and I'd have to say that, ah, I'm drop dead gorgeous. :lol:

;)

thegelding
2004-08-04, 19:26
Sex and Drugs and Mac Products: The true confessions of a young canadian man who buys and sells apple computers and iPods on ebay to support his addiction to alcohol and medicine hat hookers

g

psmith2.0
2004-08-04, 19:35
Well I own one and I'm a complete troll, so that blows that theory out of the water, doesn't it? :)

However, my theory on VWs and cutie pies driving them has NEVER been disproven. I mentioned to a friend, in passing, years and years ago "you know something, you never see an unattractive woman driving a Volkswagon...EVER!".

And by damn, 15 or so years later, I was right. Babydolls, sweetpeas and vixens...every one. Teens, 20-somethings, 30-somethings, Moms of Stacey types, etc.

:eek:

Look around, start noticing. Jettas, Beetles, Passats, Golfs, etc. "Holy cow, I think Paul is really on to something...".

It's uncanny, my friends. :D

every one of you will be craning your necks for the next two weeks, checking out my theory...go ahead, you'll see :lol:

alcimedes
2004-08-04, 19:46
dude, women driving beetles are ugly. period.

they all are.

i've yet to see a hot chick in a beetle. your theory is poop.

now, that little convertible they make, that's a different story.

as for murbot, how about writing an article on the 100 ways that Canada wants to be like the US, but are too chicken shit to go for it. :D

Windswept
2004-08-04, 20:35
Well, I think Canada is incredibly wonderful. British Columbia. Victoria, Vancouver. The Banff area. Quebec City. The Canadian Rockies are astounding.

The people are the best in so many ways. And as I've said before, the guys are absolutely the cutest in the world.

I avoid telling people how fantastic Canada is, because I don't want them going there and crowding it all up, and ruining it for when I want to live there. The Pacific Northwest, US and Canadian, is a region of unparalleled beauty. I'd love to live there.

Back on topic:

Article idea - To what extent has the popularity of iPod promoted increased interest in Apple computers in the oblivious PC community?

Windswept
2004-08-04, 20:45
Well I own a 15'' PowerBook and I'd have to say that, ah, I'm drop dead gorgeous. :lol:

;)
Yes, Chris. You *are* a VERY handsome guy. :)

Modest too. :D

psmith2.0
2004-08-04, 20:47
Hey, if we want any serious, legitimate topics we'll ASK for 'em! ;) :D

Seriously, that's a good one. Is the iPod making legitimate inroads at all? Or is it just seen as a cute gadget and this year's "hot thing".

You could write about the whole iMac situation (the line stagnating for so long only to be augmented with this recent "oops, we messed up..." development).

You could write about the how iChat and iSight have made worldwide, realtime video conferencing actually do-able and EASY.

The future of Apple? The cult of Mac forums and various goings-on and quirks found there? Some myth-busting?

I don't know...

Wrao
2004-08-04, 21:10
you could write about...the pancreas.

Mac+
2004-08-04, 21:34
OK Murbot - I'll take one for the team:
(although I think I may be speaking for the majority of males on this board)

"Unveiling the secrets of the Double Clutch technique" ;)

Moogs
2004-08-04, 21:55
Why hockey will still be the world's greatest sport, even if there's an NHL lockout.

:D

Maciej
2004-08-04, 23:17
OK Murbot - I'll take one for the team:
(although I think I may be speaking for the majority of males on this board)

"Unveiling the secrets of the Double Clutch technique" ;)

I really hope your talking about driving 80's cars with standard transmissions, ie. pre-synchros times.

Ryan
2004-08-04, 23:28
dude, women driving beetles are ugly. period.

they all are.

i've yet to see a hot chick in a beetle. your theory is poop.

now, that little convertible they make, that's a different story.

I agree. My 8th grade English teacher drove a beetle.

Ick.

That's all I'll say.

Windswept
2004-08-04, 23:37
I really hope your talking about driving 80's cars with standard transmissions, ie. pre-synchros times.
Believe me, he's NOT!!! :lol:

Mac+
2004-08-04, 23:45
^ ;)

:lol:

Maciej
2004-08-04, 23:53
Wonderful, sounds like I'm too young for this convo then. LOL :-D

thuh Freak
2004-08-05, 08:31
i got it: "Diary of an eBay Scammer: How Did I Get Here, Where Are My Pants, and Why Am I Hung Over?"

drewprops
2004-08-05, 09:03
- Why I don't miss mouse balls
- Jobs & Schiller : when the loving went weird
- 5 minutes to voiding your warranty (warning:erotica)
- Naming your hard drive, the most important decision you may ever make
- Happy Bar Mitzvah Murray, Today You Are A Man!

(I always use that last one on birthday cakes for friends because it makes me laugh....did it even before I knew that there was a Murbot)

Messiahtosh
2004-08-05, 10:29
Yes, Chris. You *are* a VERY handsome guy. :)

Modest too. :DCarol, do you have my number? Maybe you have a rule against being with guys that are a couple generations younger? :confused:

Windswept
2004-08-05, 10:48
Carol, do you have my number? Maybe you have a rule against being with guys that are a couple generations younger? :confused:

OMG!!! A couple generations ??!!!! :p :p :p :p :p

Oh, Chris. Please tell me you didn't really say that!!! :lol: :p

Moogs
2004-08-05, 10:52
Yep. Handsome, modest... and not very bright when it comes to women.

DMBand0026
2004-08-05, 11:17
Yep. Handsome, modest... and not very bright when it comes to women.

Seriously... :no:

You've got a lot to learn kid. ;)

Of course I say that being only a few months (if that) older than you, but even I know you don't say stuff like that. Apologize to the lady and than go back to your hole. ;)

curiousuburb
2004-08-05, 11:29
Murbot's Hard Drive Repair Tips

iBrowse
2004-08-05, 13:18
-WWJD: What Would Jesus Drink, the battle between light and dark beers
-Here, smell this chloroform scented rag: iBrowse's guide to dating

alcimedes
2004-08-05, 13:23
-WWJD: What Would Jesus Drink, the battle between light and dark beers

OMG, that's it.

Dave
2004-08-05, 13:26
-WWJD: What Would Jesus Drink, the battle between light and dark beers :lol: :lol: :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-08-05, 13:28

Actually, Murray, you need to repost that little nugget. Carol started that "laughing out loud" thread in 'Outsider, and your little hard drive escapade made me cackle uncontrollably.

Find it, repost it. Good stuff.

:)

DMBand0026
2004-08-05, 13:38

Oh geez. Please please please do this one. I started laughing uncontrollably just sitting here thinking about that thread. Someone has to have a copy of it somewhere, I think it's gone from .com

Moogs
2004-08-05, 14:23
Well I think we clearly have this month's and next month's article ideas for Murbot wrapped up!

Messiahtosh
2004-08-05, 14:32
Carol, I'm sorry baby, come back to me.

thegelding
2004-08-05, 14:39
a collection of "saucy" limmericks all using different pronunciations of Murbot

g

"there once was a man named murbot...."

you get the idea

shit, how does one get murbot to rhyme with nantucket?

Windswept
2004-08-05, 15:00
There once was a man named Murbotsky,

Who was definitely pretty hotsky.

Always a guy with a plan.

Watch out!!! Ceiling fan!!!

Better cover yourself for his shotsky.

( :lol: :D :p )

Moogs
2004-08-05, 15:43
http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif

Carol's got skills.

Maciej
2004-08-05, 15:47
"Like nun-chuck skills, bow-hunting skills, and computer hacking skills."

Windswept
2004-08-05, 15:48
Moogs, are you *really* shocked? :confused: :( :o

murbot
2004-08-05, 15:54
Thank christ my wife doesn't know about this place.

Windswept
2004-08-05, 16:10

A-HA!!! You should NEVER have said that, my sweet. :lol:

(rubs hands gleefully)

Now I have you in my power!!! :D heh heh heh

(What's a little blackmail and/or extortion between friends? ;) muahahahaha)

(Just kidding. I would *never* break a trust. :) )

PS - what happened to 'your' poem? Did you post it, and then delete it?

curiousuburb
2004-08-05, 20:45
There once was a Mihr driven 'Bot,
Who'd eBay the gear that he's got.
From obscure to bizarre,
he bought near and shipped far.
Macs move in and out quite a lot.

(that's the kid-safe version) :devil:

Moogs
2004-08-05, 21:21
Moogs, are you *really* shocked? :confused: :( :o

No, no... not that you have skills. Just that someone came up with a timely and relevant poem about Murbot that quickly. I figured it would take a while for anyone to come up with something humorous but you just rattled it off like nothing. Impressive.

;)

Spart
2004-08-06, 03:16
I think that so long as it involves trashing something in a massive way, hopefully involving illegal firecrackers, alcohol, and power tools, you will have a winner.

drewprops
2004-08-06, 07:01

The Secret Life of Murbot

Messiahtosh
2004-08-06, 12:44
The iPod People

At this point in time, it is positively safe to say that we are an "iPod nation," as Steven Levy of Newsweek put it. The mobile music junkies from United States of America have come to embrace the diminutive music player, and its effect on the nation has been tremendously positive. Music loving people of all ages are now able to walk the streets, bunker down in coffee shops, or take long trips without ever missing a beat, literally. The iPod has ushered in a better way of taking all of your music with you, wherever you go. In life, the dull moments of a bus ride or a work commute are all but gone, the iPod has breathed new life into the music industry and music lovers alike. It is so easy to use and so wonderfully designed, people who abandoned the hassle of portable music are now rediscovering their love for music. But, Apple has been in the position of market dominance before, and lost it just as quickly as it had reached the top. Silicon Valley pundits are asking whether or not the iPod can remain on top and they are wondering what Apple has to do to keep the iPod that way. Can the iPod continue to dominate the music market or are there competitors out there that are coming up with an “iPod killer?” And why is it that the iPod has the mass appeal that it does, when there are countless other devices on store shelves, that do the same thing?
People love music, they are inspired by it and they are attached to it. The iPod is a product that has reached ubiquity, because it is the perfect extension for mobile music listening. Music is a huge part of our culture, and as a nation the U.S. is responsible for about 35% of global music sales. Because of such a huge music buying market, a decision came from computer hardware and software manufacturer, Apple Computer, for the idea to unleash the iPod. The concept called for a music player that was designed very well, operated with ease, and made to hold a massive amount of songs. The iPod was introduced in October of 2001 and even though it weighed 5.6 ounces, it carried a hefty price tag of $399. Journalists and Mac fans scoffed at the high price, but months later, the more than 250,000 units that sold were proof enough that the iPod was a success. Why did, what seemed like an over priced music gadget sell relatively well? The reason the iPod sold so well is because it was designed perfectly, designed with aesthetics and culture in mind.

The U.S. loves “big” when it comes to cars, houses, and jewelry, but when it comes to technology, we love “small and simple.” The iPod is the perfect example of a small and simple technology, it is about the size of a deck of cards, yet has the capacity for hundreds of CD’s. Smash Mouth lead singer Steve Harwell praised the iPod saying, “It’s like having your own damn record store on this thing!” This brings us to another point, Americans love instant gratification. The iPod is all about instant gratification, and because of the storage capacity, there is never a time when you have to be without a certain song or album. Americans love that! We can drive from Pennsylvania to our summer home in Florida with every song you’ve ever owned, without taking up more dashboard or cup-holder space than a cigarette pack would.

The design of the iPod was intended to make it iconic and instantly recognizable. With the striking but minimalist two-toned white plastic front and stainless steel back, the look of the iPod was unlike any music device ever before. Apple made a remarkably wise decision to differentiate the iPod from all other music players by making the headphone cords completely white. That difference made finding an iPod user very simple, because the cords show up on clothing like a white stain. It is as beautifully designed as any piece of technology could be, it has the look and feel of something that is expensive, but is also extremely rugged. Many Americans are decidedly fashion conscious, and once a product reaches a point where it is desirable because of what it can do, what it looks like, and for what it “says” to other people, that product becomes a fashion fad. This phenomenon happened for the hula-hoop, the bell-bottom jeans, and the Sony Walkman. It has happened to the iPod. Even with a relatively high price tag, the iPod sells wildly.

Other music devices are readily available and some are just as or more capable than an iPod, but they don’t sell. Nike, Harley Davidson, and Rolex are all companies that have products that people will pay premiums for, because customers value whatever it is about the brand that they feel makes it better than a lower priced competitor. Why buy a pair of Reeboks when you could get Nike Air Jordan’s for the same price? Why buy a Suzuki motorcycle when you could have a Harley? The answer is universally the same, branding and image means a lot. The perception of a higher quality, an upscale product is important to the dominating majority of the Americans that make up our culture. Apple has spent millions of dollars on research and development, marketing and branding for the iPod, it has paid off for them. The tech business is so very risky because the probability of sending a product to the marketplace that will end up as a failure is very high. Apple did enough research about the particular market that they were contemplating making an entrance into, and realized that they had the right formula for success within it.

Once the iPod reached iconic status, Apple made some business moves to help solidify and protect its leadership position. They made the iPod available to the PC using population (instead of just Mac users), rolled out the iTunes Music Store (which allows for the legal purchasing of music online), and they dropped prices and released new versions of the iPod. The iTunes store has a 70% market share for legal music downloads, the iPod has a 50% share of all music devices sold, and all of this is especially incredible for Apple because they have a computer business that has a meager 5% of the PC market.

The success of the iPod proves that Apple has the right formula for success, outside of their computer business. They found a way to get out of being a niche computer manufacturer to being the “Microsoft of music.” People everywhere, not just in the United States know about and lust after an iPod. Competitors are stymied and do not know how to compete with Apple’s patented song search tool, the scroll wheel. The design of the iPod is something that would make Frank Lloyd Wright do a double-take, indeed some people look twice when they pass an iPod user on the street. Regardless of what Apple’s competition can come up with, the iPod will continue to sell. Apple is putting a lot of resources behind the iPod, so there will be no stagnation. The competition will be hard pressed to surpass a breathlessly innovating company like Apple. The employees at Apple don’t lay awake at night, worrying about what might compete with the iPod, because Apple competes with Apple. Every new iteration of the iPod is making the best music device just a little bit better, and the only thing one can really wonder now is, “how good can this thing get?”

Brad
2004-08-07, 20:04
Murbot's Hard Drive Repair TipsOh geez. Please please please do this one. I started laughing uncontrollably just sitting here thinking about that thread. Someone has to have a copy of it somewhere, I think it's gone from .com
I agree. murbot, you've got to resurrect that puppy! :)

psmith2.0
2004-08-07, 21:53
There once was a fella named Murray
Who sometimes did things in a hurry
When it all got too much
He'd engage the double-clutch
And wrap it all up with no worry.

iBrowse
2004-08-08, 21:16
I think that so long as it involves trashing something in a massive way, hopefully involving illegal firecrackers, alcohol, and power tools, you will have a winner.

I can't decide which story to tell, I'm sure I've told all of them that involve the above the above here (or at AI) before...

http://tweedledee.dyc.edu/nation/fire.shtml

I'm the Gabe mentioned in this one.

Spart
2004-08-09, 04:23

I'm glad I live in Iowa, where at least the grass is green and pretty resistant to fire caused by experiments with explosives gone wrong...

But then again, I have managed to set fire to green grass on several occasions.

sunrain
2004-08-09, 12:00
However, my theory on VWs and cutie pies driving them has NEVER been disproven. I mentioned to a friend, in passing, years and years ago "you know something, you never see an unattractive woman driving a Volkswagon...EVER!".

My baby drives a Jetta and she's as lovely as can be. You won't get an argument from here.

nomorewindows
2005-01-08, 17:40
"Keep Your F*%#$*g Hands off my PowerBook--You're mac, He's Windows--How to make a mixed marriage work" :lol:

kieran
2008-11-10, 22:07
This came up in the similar threads to the Folding@Home thread.

Just wondering if anything like this is going to happen or if it's just too much for the admins to handle the site as is.

Brad
2008-11-10, 22:33
Yeah, not gonna happen any time soon.

Banana
2008-11-10, 22:36
Just in case kieran & others missed, this kind of talk has surfaced now and then again.

Noob: "Hey, we could use a front page!"

Brad & Co: "Sure, round up some volunteers and we'll see what we can do!"

*crickets*

Brad & Co: "Guess nobody is interested after all."

<lather, rinse and repeat />

;)

kieran
2008-11-10, 22:46
Just in case kieran & others missed, this kind of talk has surfaced now and then again.

Noob: "Hey, we could use a front page!"

Brad & Co: "Sure, round up some volunteers and we'll see what we can do!"

*crickets*

Brad & Co: "Guess nobody is interested after all."

<lather, rinse and repeat />

;)

Yeah, I know that the discussion has come up a few times, I was just asking a question because I saw the thread sitting there.

Just thought I'd bring it up so some "noob" doesn't get accosted if they brought it up.

Would be interesting to see what people here could come up with, but I guess the story ideas just turn into a thread anyways, so it's really not that different.

Brad
2008-11-10, 22:53
And with that, I'll close this thread. Should the subject arise again, we'll start a new thread rather than resurrecting a 4-year-old one. ;)