PDA

View Full Version : the required, "What will we see next Tuesday" thread...

thegelding
2004-05-18, 09:18
iMac G5

1.6 GHz
256 MB
80 gig HD
15" screen

1.8 GHz
512 MB
80 gig HD
17" screen

2.0 GHz
512 MB
160 gig HD
20" screen

and yes i have no inside info and really don't expect to see this, but why let sanity break with tradition

g

othello
2004-05-18, 09:53
the oldies are the best

DMBand0026
2004-05-18, 12:19
Nothing.
The iBooks and PBs were just updated a few weeks ago.
If anything, we'll see updates to the iMac line in one or two weeks. If they don't show up in the next two weeks, than I've got money on WWDC.

Wickers
2004-05-18, 12:26
Yah I'd expect a shit load of updates at WWDC. Much more then just PMs.

psmith2.0
2004-05-18, 13:42
Well, there isn't much left, besides the iMac and G5. What "shitload" are you thinking of, exactly?

The laptops have been revved, as has the eMac. iPod still selling well (although...) and the iPod mini is not even shipping worth a damn yet (so don't expect any updates to that).

Software? Something new?

iMacs, G5s and displays are about the only hardware (minus the iSight, I suppose) we could talk about, considering all the above.

WWDC isn't a consumer type of gig, so I'd be more inclined to imagine G5s there, not iMacs. iMacs probably in the next few weeks.

BTW, how do you guys like that one year period with the same G5 line-up? If this had been Motorola, many of you would be having a cow.

:D

Can't see much difference with IBM (well, besides the chip, of course). But a WHOLE YEAR? Jeez (and no, I don't consider that dual 1.8 addition anything substantial...the basic line-up announced last June 23 is STILL, essentially, the line-up for sale). That's pretty lame, any way you slice it.

:o

IBM getting a pass?

;)

alcimedes
2004-05-18, 13:56
IBM gave us 2Ghz 64 bit chips.

and they're already making the 90nm ones, so it's just a matter of ramping up production for the faster chips in the towers. i think the big problem with Moto wasn't only the lack of progress for what's in the actual towers, but a lack of direction for the future. (at least one that people knew about)

the fact that IBM is producing 90nm chips TODAY makes me a lot more relaxed about the whole thing. besides which, it makes me feel all smart for getting that dual 2Ghz a year ago. :p

psmith2.0
2004-05-18, 13:59
I'm not shortchanging the G5 or IBM...don't misunderstand. I'm just saying it's been very quiet for 11 months. :)

Hope that's not set to be the pattern.

curiousuburb
2004-05-18, 14:54
another tuesday down... how many more before WWDC?

applenut
2004-05-18, 16:40
the fact that a year later apple is charging the same price for the same exact models (G5s) is quite sad.

if they aren't going to update in a timely manner they should at least progessively cut prices as the cost inevitably goes down for them. and they wonder why power mac sales suck

WWDC will be an interesting event....as I fear the G5 news is going to be a bit underwhelming.....hopefully the unveiling of the new iMac will overshadow the negatives a bit.

HoTT RoDeR
2004-05-18, 18:14
the fact that a year later apple is charging the same price for the same exact models (G5s) is quite sad.

if they aren't going to update in a timely manner they should at least progessively cut prices as the cost inevitably goes down for them. and they wonder why power mac sales suck
I too can't believe they haven't lowered the price. It's extremely sad!

I think nothing will show its face this Tuesday or the next. I think the iMac G5 will be shown at WWDC just to show Apple's commitment to the platform with hopefully competitive prices.

_Ω_
2004-05-18, 18:40
Problem is that if they lower the price, then when the new models come out every one will bitch and moan about the price jump.

They are trying to maintain their product at a certain price point.

2c. :)

Messiahtosh
2004-05-18, 21:20
I dont see how Apple could introduct new PM's and iMacs at the same show, without overshadowing one or the other. A tough balancing act, to be sure.

Quagmire
2004-05-19, 16:06
I dont see how Apple could introduct new PM's and iMacs at the same show, without overshadowing one or the other. A tough balancing act, to be sure.

WWDC is a 5 day event. One day they can introduce imac G5. They wait 2 days then introduce new powermac G5's and new displays. Or they can do it the other way around. They can lower the prices on the imac G5 dramatically to keep it from being shadowed.

Mac+
2004-05-19, 21:45
One year at the same speed for the G5 - and at the same price points is pretty poor.

I think only those that bought a dual 2GHz would be happy about that scenario presently.

Hopefully, we'll see a substantial upgrade to the PowerMac and displays (long overdue) at the WWDC. As for the iMac - I have no idea how they're going to time its unveiling, but I am certainly intigued to see what form it takes!

Chinney
2004-05-20, 23:24

As for the iMac - I have no idea how they're going to time its unveiling, but I am certainly intigued to see what form it takes!

In the absence of really big chip processor news (??), the form factor of a possible new iMac is something to watch. And yes, it matters a lot.

applenut
2004-05-21, 01:00

hardly.....different markets. apple needs the iMac to get publicity. PowerMac, no matter how fast, wont appear in Newsweek or Time. A new iMac will. Professionals will take notice of a new powermac though.

they don't really overshadow...if anything, a new attention grabbing G5 imac would create more attention for faster G5 towers.

i think we may be in store for a shake up....really hoping for a G5 minitower.

Mac+
2004-05-21, 01:16
good points a*nut - Time , in particular, has always seemed very Apple friendly and I think you are right - a new consumer Mac has more chance of press coverage than a beefed up PowerMac.

As for the shake-up and potential minitowers - then I hope you are right.

About the only person I don't mind being blindsided by is Jobs at the moment. I always love waking up the next morning after a WWDC or Apple press conference, clicking on the Apple homepage and seeing what's new! :)

[EDIT: typos - hate 'em]

Crusader
2004-05-22, 12:34
I've given up hope till WWDC, sigh...

DMBand0026
2004-05-23, 03:20
I've given up hope till WWDC, sigh...

You and me both brother, but I gave up a long time ago...long long time ago.

I hate to say this, but this reminds me of the Moto days.
But it's so much different with the movement from the 130nm to the 90nm chip. So IBM gets a pass on this one. But rest assured that if the Rev. B G5s don't show up at WWDC, heads will roll, and it won't be pretty. :mad:

AirSluf
2004-05-23, 10:05
XXXXX

FFL
2004-07-29, 00:47
hmm... next Tuesday
Bumped Powerbooks, maybe?

Or maybe not.

But maybe...

Mac+
2004-07-29, 01:10
that would rock! :D

DMBand0026
2004-07-29, 01:13
hmm... next Tuesday

Or maybe not.

But maybe...

Too soon. Not time for an update yet. It'll be another two months at least. I'm going with November.

Robo
2004-07-29, 03:35
I don't think Apple will simply bump the PBs at WWDC. I KNOW they will debut the Powerbook G5. I'm positive. I'd bet money on it. It WILL happen. I've said so since January, and I'm saying it now. Next Tuesday, we'll all be freaking out about the new Powerbooks, and I'll be right. I'll be so totally right. Just you watch.

;)

thegelding
2004-07-29, 07:17
hmm... next Tuesday

Or maybe not.

But maybe...

ha, just woke up this morning thinking, "hmmm, wonder if apple is gonna do anything next tuesday"

g

colonelforbin
2004-07-29, 20:27
I don't think Apple will simply bump the PBs at WWDC. I KNOW they will debut the Powerbook G5. I'm positive. I'd bet money on it. It WILL happen. I've said so since January, and I'm saying it now. Next Tuesday, we'll all be freaking out about the new Powerbooks, and I'll be right. I'll be so totally right. Just you watch.

;)

that'd be good, because that way rev b would probably be out by the time i buy one for university :)

Kickaha
2004-07-29, 20:35
that'd be good, because that way rev b would probably be out by the time i buy one for university :)

Then I hope you're a junior in high school... :lol:

(Hint: WWDC is long past - that was a joke post...)

2004-07-29, 20:38
hmm... next Tuesday

Or maybe not.

But maybe...

:D :err: What's so special about 8/3?

Though, if true, I will wet myself. I've been waiting for the next revision, and coming this close on the heels of the last one will make me click the 'Buy' button as soon as I'm dryed off. Maybe sooner. :D

colonelforbin
2004-07-29, 21:04
Then I hope you're a junior in high school... :lol:

(Hint: WWDC is long past - that was a joke post...)

that confused me a bit, yes. long day :lol:. i thought he meant the august paris expo, and had just typed wwdc by mistake. i'm going into grade twelve this year.

Paul
2004-07-30, 00:25
I wonder if we will finally see 15.4" screens on the Powerbooks/iMacs in the near future...