PDA

View Full Version : Want a new book

Dima
2006-01-10, 18:52
So I'm thinking of selling my powerbook 15 and getting a new top macbook
I've got 1 mounth old powerbook 15 1.67 with 1440 display, standart HD, 128 VRAM and 2 gigs of RAM
How much money can i sell it for now?

Luca
2006-01-10, 18:56
Just keep the PowerBook. The value of it will probably go up once the PowerBooks are discontinued. It's still a new machine, and the MacBook probably is going to have a lot of "growing pains" as Apple works out the kinks.

Besides, who wants to own something called a "MacBook"?

Dima
2006-01-10, 18:59
me
i dont care how it's called - powerbook is just too slow for me

Luca
2006-01-10, 19:01
What do you use it for that's so demanding that your current PowerBook can't handle it? And don't be sucked in by the "4x faster" hype; that's extremely biased. Maybe 1.5x faster, depending on what you're doing.

Dima
2006-01-10, 19:05
I'm using Macromedia Director, Flash, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Illustrator etc. I know the versions of this software for the Intel books aren't ready yet but I believe they'll be pretty soon - overwise, why you need a pro machine

Performa636CD
2006-01-11, 12:12
The new MacBooks just seem rather sketchy.

They're revision A, so that's an automatic flag that says DO NOT BUY. (then again, a new product has to start somewhere)
They can only max out at 2 GB RAM
Smaller screen (fewer pixels)
No real software for it yet (will improve, obviously)
No firewire 800
DOWNGRADED Superdrive

They are better than the current G4 PowerBook line in that they have a faster CPU, bigger HD, iSight, faster FSB, DDR2 RAM, and larger video card.

I just think MacBooks are basically a G4.5 PowerBook.

torifile
2006-01-11, 14:01
I'm using Macromedia Director, Flash, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Illustrator etc. I know the versions of this software for the Intel books aren't ready yet but I believe they'll be pretty soon - overwise, why you need a pro machine
Don't expect any speed improvements using those apps. Your computer is top of the line and I don't think that a Macbook will help your speed concerns.

Dima
2006-01-11, 14:19
Why you think so?

torifile
2006-01-11, 14:24
Why you think so?
Because those apps will run in what's called "Rosetta", essentially under emulation which will cause a speed hit. The faster processor might be able to offset the speed hit, but might not. Even if it does, it won't be as fast as a native app.

noah
2006-01-11, 14:57
So are you guys actually reccomending purchasing the current 12" or 17" pBooks?

fookie
2006-01-11, 15:16

I think that the MacBook Pros will eventually come in the smaller ~12"-13.3" and the larger ~17" form factors soon...just wait till the dust settles. As a side note: It's the opposite from the AlBooks (during their conversion from Ti) intro, where they did the 12" and 17" before the 15" update (recall Yao Ming and MiniMe).

torifile
2006-01-11, 15:31
No. We're recommending knowing what you're getting. ;)

Dima
2006-01-11, 15:43
Because those apps will run in what's called "Rosetta", essentially under emulation which will cause a speed hit. The faster processor might be able to offset the speed hit, but might not. Even if it does, it won't be as fast as a native app.

I'm awared of this - as I said - I count on the fact that these applications will be released for MacIntel soon

Wyatt
2006-01-12, 08:01
I'm awared of this - as I said - I count on the fact that these applications will be released for MacIntel soon
Are you "awared" of your extremely poor spelling and grammar that make you look like a 5-year-old? (You have at least one spelling or grammar mistake in every post in this thread. Impressive. I'm so impressed I'm not even going to point them all out individually, I'm just going to be annoyed by how little time you put into your posts.

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-01-12, 08:12
Are you "awared" of your extremely poor spelling and grammar that make you look like a 5-year-old? (You have at least one spelling or grammar mistake in every post in this thread. Impressive. I'm so impressed I'm not even going to ponit them all out individually, I'm just going to be annoyed by how little time you put into your posts.

Don't be poniting out spelling mistakes in other people's posts if you don't bother to remove them from your own. :)

Dima,

History has shown that Adobe has taken time to convert to a new OS (think 12-18 months for PS 7 which was the first OS X native version). Now that Adobe has bought Macromedia all the programs will probably be on the same schedule.

I would say wait until you can demo a MBP in the store first. Bring in your laptop and do an A / B comparison before making a purchase.

Wyatt
2006-01-12, 08:19
Don't be poniting out spelling mistakes in other people's posts if you don't bother to remove them from your own.
Shit. I knew I'd miss one. It's too damn early for me to be posting.

Bryson
2006-01-12, 08:21
Skitt's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skitt%27s_law) strikes again. Oh well.

curiousuburb
2006-01-12, 08:26
fcgriz, did you note the Russian domain in Dima's sig?

It wouldn't kill you to cut newbies some slack on the off chance English isn't their first language, would it?

Plus, it would make your spelling case stronger if your own post was typo-free. ;)
ponit them all out

Dima, if you're looking for recommendations, I'd echo much of what has been said earlier...

Given that the apps you're talking about aren't universal binaries yet, you'd take a performance hit under Rosetta emulation anyway, so any perceived speed bump from the Core Duo chip will be minimized.

Rev A machines are almost always buggy. That's why Rev A is generally looked on as a poor investment for those seeking stability and long-term value... they're built for the bleeding edge early adopters... those willing to pay what is ungenerously known as the "sucker tax" in other circles.

Your current PB is good enough for your tasks, the risk of losing stability or value with a Rev A running your apps under emulation is high, so wait for at least a few months if you can. By July, the apps may be universal binaries, the model line may be fleshed out with a 17" and/or a 13.3", and/or the 15 might get some tweaks to become a more refined Rev. B. I cannot see any real advantage to risking a switch for 5 months of bragging rights.

edit: bassplayinMacFiend and Bryson type faster ;)