PDA

View Full Version : iBook - to buy or not to buy?

wecallitfall
2006-01-11, 04:00
that is the question

i had postponed my purchase og a G4 iBook with the hope that an intel machine would have arrived yesterday.

the question is should i just go for the current model, after all it could be months before the intel version arrives.

the G4 model serves all my needs, and i would be very pleased to own one.

the apple website currently says it ships with iLife '05, will '06 come with it or not?i'm guessing its just not been updated yet

thoughts, comments and abuse all welcome in equal proportions

digitalprimate
2006-01-11, 04:22
I have the same problem. I was going to buy a laptop by the end of the month and was hoping for a opportunity here.

But as this will be my first mac and I really need one (for my thesis/dissertation) I'll just go ahead and buy the small one. In the mean time, I guess I'll be getting more and more familiar with the hardware and can move up to the intelmacs.

I've heard/read numerous stories of first-time mac'ers who upgraded relatively quickly (often within the first year or so) to a more powerful mac.

Personally I think it'll be two to five months until we see the other intel-books appear. For me, that's too long, so I'll push ahead with my purchase of an iBook G4.

wecallitfall
2006-01-11, 04:34
we certainly are in the same situation here buddy, i am also at university and could really use the 'book for this term, if i leave it until june the semester will be over

Everywhere you go on these mac forums there is always some guy who's been shafted because 1 month later a new product/update has been released rendering their purchase outdated. the only Apple product i have purchased is a 4G iPod when they were first released June 04 and by October 04 the Ipod photo was released

but hey thats life

digitalprimate
2006-01-11, 05:12
Everywhere you go on these mac forums there is always some guy who's been shafted because 1 month later a new product/update has been released rendering their purchase outdated.

Yeah, but everyone that came here and asked a question about wether he/she should buy or wait would have been advised to wait. Still, I think it's about perception - Apart from the new models coming out every month or so, if you've bought a new computer last month, it's still quite new, IMHO.

EDIT: The only thing which bugs me big time about all this, is that allthough it's clear that the iBooks are at their life's end, they won't bring down the price.

wecallitfall
2006-01-11, 05:25
i think i'm gonna order my 12" iBook today, just get it done, it'll be here by next week then

Performa636CD
2006-01-11, 12:06
Good choice

LudwigVan
2006-01-11, 14:07
the apple website currently says it ships with iLife '05, will '06 come with it or not?i'm guessing its just not been updated yet

I have no inside knowledge on this, but it's possible that despite what Apple notes on their website, they may toss an iLife '06 disc into the PowerBook box even though iLife '05 has already been installed on the hard drive. I have vague recollections of this happening last year.

Good luck with your 12" PowerBook.

noah
2006-01-11, 15:00
I actually called apple because of the iLife '05 listing on the powerbook and ibook pages. They told me that they hadnt been able to change it to iLife 06, but any computer purchased as of yesterday WILL have iLife '06.

wecallitfall
2006-01-11, 17:13
its ordered and on its way

:D

this will be my first apple and also my first laptop so i am doubly excited!