PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Suggestions

PKIDelirium
2006-01-11, 15:54
My mid-2002 model digital camera, a Pentax Optio 330GS with 3.2 megapixels, the battery door and power contacts snapped off the other day. The extended warranty expired in mid-December, and taping it together doesn't work.

It's dead, Jim. :(

I'm now in the market for a new one with a maximum price of $300 US. Any opinions on what the best camera I can get for that is?

I have my eye on the Canon PowerShot A610 for $299. 5MP and 4X Optical zoom. It's really nice, but I want to make an informed purchase here, and make sure I get a camera that takes great shots and will also last about as long as the Pentax did.

And, I don't want another Pentax. It had to be sent in twice for mechanical failures, each of which took about 6 weeks from time I dropped it at place of purchase (Click Camera, Dayton, Ohio) to the time I FINALLY got it back. First time it took nearly ten weeks.

usurp
2006-01-11, 16:00
the canon a610 is amazing. i got it for my wifes sister on christmas and for the price there is nothing better on the market. a really good deal.

kieran
2006-01-11, 16:07
I recently bought the Canon PowerShot a520 based on a few recommendations from other members and it has been everything I needed it to be.

It is a good camera for novice photographers bc there are dedicated auto modes, but there are also a good amount of manual controls.

For under $200, you can't beat it.

DMBand0026
2006-01-12, 01:47
I'll second the Canon A520 recomendation. I bought it about 4 months ago from amazon.com (it was $180 USD at the time, it may be even less now.) It's a great camera for the money, does everything I need and much more. Takes quality shots, long battery life, it's small enough to be portable but large enough to feel solid in your hand.

If you're not convinced the A520 is for you and you're interested in more digital camera reviews, check out www.dpreview.com

Edit: Compile a short list of cameras that will meet your needs, go to your local electronics store, try out the ones you found online, figure out which one you like best, than go back home and order it online, it'll be much cheaper that way. Check out www.tigerdirect.com for memory cards, they routinely have them for $5-$10 after rebates. I got a 256mb card for $4 after a rebate.

torifile
2006-01-12, 08:06
Moving to purchasing advice.

Drat! I can't do that. :lol:

Matsu
2006-01-12, 09:06
Fujij F11, best small sensor available, resolves as well as most 8MP compacts. The price is not bad, you might be able to find it on the street for 350, it's close to your upper limit and worth looking at (if available for a small increase.)

I like the compact Canons as well, I have an A75 that still sees regular use.

Heart
2006-01-12, 10:20
Try the Ixus 50 (i think it's the Powershot SD400 or something in the US) - it's pretty much the same price A610 (on Amazon anyway) and with a similar spec. A couple of nice effects are available on the camera; my favourite is Colour Accent, where you can choose and isolate a particular colour, making everything else monochrome. Plus it's small, metal and very sexy.

PKIDelirium
2006-01-12, 12:01
OK, I'm going down to Cincy in a few minutes, gonna check at two malls I'm going to to see what's available.

I'll DEFINATELY be checking out TigerDirect about the memory cards. My Pentax took CompactFlash so I have to get a new set.

PKIDelirium
2006-01-12, 12:11
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1697021&Sku=C930-1122%20KIT

Oh man....

I think I've found it. I'm still gonna look, but that looks SWEET.

FFL
2006-01-12, 12:51
looks like teh win - great camera, great price

PKIDelirium
2006-01-12, 19:03
I demoed it at Apple Store earlier.

I love it. It's comfortable to hold, has a 4X optical zoom, and has a great price.

Definately looks like teh win!

kieran
2006-01-12, 19:20
I'd jump on that offer...

...if i hadn't just bought the exact same thing last month. But nice find nonetheless.