PDA

View Full Version : Should I do this?

torifile
2004-08-08, 08:37
It's tax free weekend.

I've got a rev. a powerbook.

I'm thinking of getting a new 12" to replace it. Ed discount price: $1399.

The cram and jam deal is going on now too. iPod for $69.

Total price: $1468.

Sell the iPod on ebay: ~$200.

Net price: $1268.

Sell my computer on ebay: ~$1000.

New computer for $268. I figure when it's time for me to get the 15" pb I *really* want, I'll make up that much in the sale price. Should I?

trailmaster308
2004-08-08, 09:16
Um err do you have to ask? Man if you can get a new PB for $268 then go for it!

Is the iPod the 4G's? If so I will buy it from you for 200 right now! You scratch my back i'll scratch yours! :p ;)

torifile
2004-08-08, 09:21
Yup. It's a 4g iPod. I could get the 20gig or 40gig. It's all the same to me. As long as I can get an extra $100 for the 40, I'd do it. If that's what my buyer wanted.

Maciej
2004-08-08, 09:52
It's an excellent idea. My friend just did it, all you have to do is take the proof of purchase barcodes off and mail them in. He did exactly what you said, but sold the new laptop and bought a refurbed PB. The cram and jam is a pretty good promotion and deal IMO.

Barto
2004-08-08, 10:26
Go for it!

Wickers
2004-08-08, 12:11
:magic 8 ball says: -=Yes=-

billybobsky
2004-08-08, 12:16
actually, the magic eight ball says "it appears that you should"

DMBand0026
2004-08-08, 12:32
I'd do it. Being the proud owner of a Rev C. 12" and a 4G iPod, I couldn't recommend either of these more.

However, selling that 4g iPod should get you more than $200, people are going nuts for those on eBay right now. If not, just sell it off to one of your friends for $250. It's cheaper for them than getting a new one, and you still make some cash.

Moogs
2004-08-08, 13:06
Just Do It. ™

Hell I just spend $500+ on 2GB of RAM because the price dropped through the floor on Friday... and I didn't even have an eBay sale item to offset the cost. Woe is my credit card balance... but the G5 will be most pleased.

[m.burns]Splennndid.[/m.burns]

torifile
2004-08-08, 15:17
Well, I did it! Unfortunately, the entire store was cleared out of computers. All they had left was one 17" completely maxed out, one iBook and a few eMacs. No 12", 15" or G5s. I ordered one and a 4g iPod. Now off to eBay to sell my current 'book. I just hope I get the compute before my trip next week...

psmith2.0
2004-08-08, 15:30
Cool! Good for you...that's a great deal to jump on.

Lately, all I think about is getting rid of this 15" PowerBook and getting a 12" (the opposite of your goals), along with a 20" or 23" Cinema Display.

But would like to wait a bit and let the processor get to 1.5GHz AND see if a 128MB graphics and lighted keyboard option make it to the Rev. D 12".

Luca
2004-08-08, 15:57
I thought you said you weren't a spec whore, pscates? Surely your current PowerBook is far beyond what you actually need to get your work done!

;)

Maciej
2004-08-08, 16:02
I think we're all a little spec whore at heart. ;)

psmith2.0
2004-08-08, 18:05
I'm not a spec whore...but I'd like to be able to comfortably drive a 23" display (since I lean toward that the more I think of it) and the lighted keyboard is a truly useful, practical thing, considering how much I like to sit in the dark (or dimly lit rooms) and surf, e-mail, chat, etc.

What about those two things makes me a Spec Whore?

If I were screaming that I was never buying another Apple laptop (or seriously considering a move to the "other side") until they get to liquid-cooled 2GHz G5s, 256MB base graphics and so forth, THEN you can fling that label my way. Until then, tread lightly with that word and how it's used toward me.

:)

Yeah, my current PowerBook is fine and handles everything wonderfully. But seeing how we're more than halfway into a cycle, it just makes sense to wait and see what's what, doesn't it? And going from a 15" widescreen DOWN to a 12" 4:3 (with no FireWire 800, PC card slot, etc. automatically disqualifies me from being a Spec Whore). Do you see me clamoring for any of those things, actual features I CURRENTLY have and don't - and probably never will - use. A difference. Just waiting for the next logical step up to the line, and make a decision from there.

My reasons are less "spec" related than they are convenience and easy-portability related. I'd rather have a powerful, cute little PowerBook hooked to a honkin' bastard giant of a Cinema Display while at home, then something really small and light when I take it off the iCurve and go places. That's not a "spec whore" concern.

Dig?

Maciej
2004-08-08, 18:25
I'm not a spec whore...but I'd like to be able to comfortably drive a 23" display (since I lean toward that the more I think of it) and the lighted keyboard is a truly useful, practical thing, considering how much I like to sit in the dark (or dimly lit rooms) and surf, e-mail, chat, etc.

Yeah, my current PowerBook is fine and handles everything wonderfully. But seeing how we're more than halfway into a cycle, it just makes sense to wait and see what's what, doesn't it? And going from a 15" widescreen DOWN to a 12" 4:3 (with no FireWire 800, PC card slot, etc. automatically disqualifies me from being a Spec Whore). Do you see me clamoring for any of those things, actual features I CURRENTLY have and don't - and probably never will - use. A difference. Just waiting for the next logical step up to the line, and make a decision from there.

My reasons are less "spec" related than they are convenience and easy-portability related. I'd rather have a powerful, cute little PowerBook hooked to a honkin' bastard giant of a Cinema Display while at home, then something really small and light when I take it off the iCurve and go places. That's not a "spec whore" concern.

Dig?

I understand completely what you mean. I might be over reacting, but was actually contemplating how well my 15" 1.25 Ghz would run with a 23" display, and whether I should wait and upgrade (for the stronger vid card) before purchasing the display.

Hehe.

torifile
2004-08-08, 19:09
Cool! Good for you...that's a great deal to jump on.

Lately, all I think about is getting rid of this 15" PowerBook and getting a 12" (the opposite of your goals), along with a 20" or 23" Cinema Display.

But would like to wait a bit and let the processor get to 1.5GHz AND see if a 128MB graphics and lighted keyboard option make it to the Rev. D 12".
Funny thing, scates. I seem to remember espousing the virtues of the 12" 'book back when you were trying to decide. Of course, you decided to listen to murbot... You shoulda listened to me! ;)

We'll see if this one will do me. I've had my current pb for 18 months and haven't had any regrets about getting it. I hope that I have this next one for 18 more.

Mac+
2004-08-08, 19:12
torifile - good deal, but what happens if you sell your old computer before the new 12" arrives? How will you survive if you have work to do that requires the PowerBook? :err:

psmith2.0
2004-08-08, 19:27
Funny thing, scates. I seem to remember espousing the virtues of the 12" 'book back when you were trying to decide. Of course, you decided to listen to murbot... You shoulda listened to me! ;)

We'll see if this one will do me. I've had my current pb for 18 months and haven't had any regrets about getting it. I hope that I have this next one for 18 more.

Yeah, yeah...pipe down. :D

I love my 15", don't get me wrong. It was different then vs. now. I've had nine months to experience owning a laptop, the new Cinema Displays (DVI) have come out, the 12" slowly keeps creeping up to zippy 1GHz-plus speeds and faster optical drives, AirPort card is now standard, etc. If those two other things fell into place in the next six or so months, I think I'd pounce!

It's not a "have to" thing as much as a "hmm, that might be a nice way to go" thing. In the meantime, I ain't sufferin'...

torifile
2004-08-08, 20:06
torifile - good deal, but what happens if you sell your old computer before the new 12" arrives? How will you survive if you have work to do that requires the PowerBook? :err:
The new computer is supposed to get here by Friday. I'm going to hold off listing it on eBay until later this week - ideally after I've gotten shipping info. If I have to part with my current one, I'll just clone the drive to my external HD and boot off it using my wife's iBook. I don't think I'll have to do that, but it's my contingency plan. :)

Mac+
2004-08-08, 20:33
ah - the contingency plan: 2 Macs in the same household ... I'm hoping to join that club myself later this year! ;)

Maciej
2004-08-08, 20:45
I wish I could afford a powermac right now, cause I would take advantage of that deal in a second!