PDA

View Full Version : MacBook 1.67 or MacBook 1.83


Tenbaum11
2006-01-15, 18:57
Is it worth the $500 to upgrade to the 1.83 MacBook. How significant is the extra 128 vram for the X1600 in terms of performance for HD video playback, gaming, and general computing performance. The same goes for the extra .16 Ghz for the higher priced model. Thanks.

chucker
2006-01-15, 19:06
Well, you can save $100 on the 1.83 if you decide for 2 512 MB sticks instead of one 1 GB stick. So that makes a $400 difference, and you still have twice the RAM, twice the VRAM, a bit more CPU and a slightly bigger hard drive. Frankly, that's not a bad deal.

For gaming, every piece of performance counts, so you might indeed want to have the bigger VRAM. It depends on how important that is for you. For general work, 128 MB is more than enough.

spikeh
2006-01-15, 19:10
I'm guessing the extra VRAM is going to be noticable if you're playing games and doing things with 3D, and not for much else. I doubt you're going to miss 160MHZ anytime soon, but I could well be wrong about that.

pscates2.0
2006-01-15, 19:18
Too bad they don't allow BTO to 256 VRAM on the $1999 MacBook Pro.

chucker
2006-01-15, 19:21
Too bad they don't allow BTO to 256 VRAM on the $1999 MacBook Pro.

Yeah, that's a bummer. But then again, it would make me want the $1999 model more. This way, it's easier for me to justify the higher model.:lol:

mrkamputee
2006-01-15, 19:49
Personally I'm going for the 1.67GHz option myself. The way I see it, doubling the VRAM on the same GPU isn't going to make that huge an impact unless you're in the most demanding of environments. The processor difference is almost not worthy of thinking about. My opinion is, on the UK prices, the price difference means I can upgrade the RAM to 1GB myself and buy AppleCare.

Personally, I think the performance difference isn't going to justify the extra that could be better spent.

If money isn't holding you back mind, go all the way and buy that top end beast. :)

spikeh
2006-01-16, 16:54
Can you buy applecare at a later date, or does it have to be in the same order as the product? If I don't get it does it mean I just have to pay for my future upkeep and parts, etc?

chucker
2006-01-16, 17:00
Can you buy applecare at a later date, or does it have to be in the same order as the product?

You can wait an entre year to buy it, i.e. you need to buy it before the standard warranty expires.

noah
2006-01-16, 20:47
I wouldn't worry about gaming, at least for now. The intel machines won't run pc games. They wont run Mac games. They wont run anything. If you want to game then you will have to wait at least 6 months, maybe more.

http://macteens.com/index.php/features/fullstory/intel_and_the_gaming_scene/ explanes it

Wraven
2006-01-16, 20:53
I ordered the 1.83GHz version with the 100GB / 7200 RPM HD, for no other "good" reason than I can afford it. Really, it is just personal preference. The higher model will be a little snappier with the higher clock speed and more VRAM on the video card.

No big deal, but if you can afford it, go with AT LEAST 1GB of RAM and the 7200 RPM HD (again, just personal preference, but you might as well since you are already paying so much...).

Kraetos
2006-01-16, 23:22
I'm not ordering either - waiting for Merom MacBooks that should be coming out at the end of the summer. Intel has slated Merom and Conroe's release for "sometime between July and September," and you gotta believe Apple isn't going to let Dell put Merom's in the Inspirons while the MacBooks are still running Yonah's.

The current MacBook's seem rushed to me - like they wanted to get them out for the Expo. Yonah is going to be replaced by the 64-bit Merom, and by then, the Core line will probably be SIGNIFIGANTLY faster. The Core's just came out, their infants in the microprocessor world.

I was planning on upgrading my machine then anyways (come September, my current PowerBook will hit the big 3.0 years... meaning AppleCare expires, among other things) so it worked out pretty well. But even if I had been planning to upgrade sooner, I'd be waiting for Merom anyways. Yonah seems like a stopgap measure to me.

Wraven
2006-01-17, 10:51
I'm not ordering either - waiting for Merom MacBooks that should be coming out at the end of the summer. Intel has slated Merom and Conroe's release for "sometime between July and September," and you gotta believe Apple isn't going to let Dell put Merom's in the Inspirons while the MacBooks are still running Yonah's.

The current MacBook's seem rushed to me - like they wanted to get them out for the Expo. Yonah is going to be replaced by the 64-bit Merom, and by then, the Core line will probably be SIGNIFIGANTLY faster. The Core's just came out, their infants in the microprocessor world.

I was planning on upgrading my machine then anyways (come September, my current PowerBook will hit the big 3.0 years... meaning AppleCare expires, among other things) so it worked out pretty well. But even if I had been planning to upgrade sooner, I'd be waiting for Merom anyways. Yonah seems like a stopgap measure to me.
Yes,
There will always be something faster coming out 6-9 months down the road. But some of us need a computer now. He is asking about which of the 2 MBP's available "now" (as in, within a month), to order.