PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to switch

psgamer0921
2006-01-16, 22:48
Through my entire life, I've been a Windows user. I started looking around today, and priced out a Mac Mini for $679. I don't do anything obscure with my computer now, just browsing, chatting, and light photo editing.

So I'm calling upon the members of AN: Tell me, why should I switch? How is it so much better on the other side? Do you ever feel 'left out' for being the computer minority? Any things you don't like?

Convince away!

Blue Light Bandit
2006-01-16, 22:59
1. I don't think anyone should try convincing anyone else on a matter like this. You should use the right tool for the job. For us, Mac OS X is generally a better tool for what we do. This is not the case for everyone and not all people would be better off switching to Macs.
2. Consistency. Interoperability. Discoverability. Intelligently-designed UIs. Not having to think about spyware, adware, malware, viruses, trojans, and such appearing at the drop of a hat.
3. No, I don't.
4. More games would be nice, I suppose, but I don't really have time for them and consoles and handhelds are better suited than any PC anyway.

In order to the questions that you asked.

Sargasm
2006-01-16, 23:08
No worries whatsoever about malware. No viruses, spyware, adware, worms, etc. I know there are a few out there, but I haven't heard anything about 'em. Beautifully working, intuitive, aesthetically pleasing OS. Everything just works, and it doesn't take long to adjust. I was a Windows user for over 8 years, switched last summer, and was pretty proficient in about 2 weeks.

Very stable, and the little things like Exposé that make it a good experience. Lots of third party support, and everything just works. I'm thinking of buying my sister a mini as well, since her windows box requires a reformat every time I visit for school vacations.

Kraetos
2006-01-16, 23:13
Biggest reasons I love my Mac? Reliability and stability. It doesn't crash, it doesn't ever have weird driver and compatibility issues.

I am not blind Mac fanatic. I have a PC. A nice one at that, the hardware in my Alienware puts my little PowerBook to shame in every single way. But its missing my most favorite feature: Mac OS.

I trust my Mac to safely store all my papers and projects, and anything else I need. I dont trust my PC. My Alienware is new, but the Compaq I had before it got so gunked up from regular use (installing programs, weird updates, etc.) that I had to wipe it almost every 12 months. I can't imagine storing anything IMPORTANT on a machine as unreliable as that.

I ask you, Windows user, how often does a program crash that takes down the entire OS, forcing you to reboot? How often does the installation of a program cause something weird to happen with Windows, forcing you to use that neat little System Restore feature (notice, they dont have one on Macs - its not needed) and roll back your computer to an earlier date? Or, if you buy perpherials (cameras, scanners, printers), how much time do you spend looking for and installing weird drivers - and of course, if those weird drivers gunk up your machine, its back to system restore you go.

If this has happened to you once in the past year - thats too much. This stuff never happens with my Mac. A third party program locks up, I force quit it, and the OS keeps chuggin along like nothin' happened. I buy a new scanner, printer, camera, whatever, plug it in, and it works. Instantly. Didn't even need the install CD. And System Restore? Bah. My Mac needs not such a sketchy piece of software. And, of course, my Mac never gets viruses, spyware, adware, or anything like that.

The Mac just WORKS. Period. End of story.

Maybe none of this has happened to you, and thats not unheard of. Some Windows users get lucky, and their experience is flawless as a Mac.

I've yet to meet one of these mythical Window's users in person.

And if all that isn't enough for you, remember: Apple just switched to Intel chips. So on top of all that, Mac's are now just as fast - if not faster, thanks to a far better designed OS - than their PC counterparts.

That's why my 2 and a half year old Powerbook remains my primary machine, while my shiny new Alienware is used for programs I otherwise cant run on my Mac.

MCQ
2006-01-16, 23:16
1. I don't think anyone should try convincing anyone else on a matter like this. You should use the right tool for the job. For us, Mac OS X is generally a better tool for what we do. This is not the case for everyone and not all people would be better off switching to Macs.

Repeated for emphasis.

If you don't have problems running a Windows box and are productive with it, then stick with it.

psgamer0921
2006-01-16, 23:17
This is part of why I'm so confused whether or not to switch. I haven't had the "conventional" Windows experience. I haven't had a virus take down the system, I rarely have a program lock up and take the system with it, though I will say that System Restore has saved my ass more times than I'd like to admit :o But I will say that random quirks in XP have pissed me off to seriously consider a Mac.

If I decide to get one, it won't be until around December, so I've got plenty of time to wait for Intel Mac Minis, and possibly even a Rev.B. In the next few weeks I'll go over to a friend's house who has an iBook, sit down, and really get to play with OS X.

Blue Light Bandit
2006-01-16, 23:25
Well, if you can, do what a I did with a friend of mine a while back. My friend was an expert PC user who knew Windows inside and out and had dabbled with Linux. His fiancée had gotten a 20 GB iPod (back when they were top of the line) and he was curious about Apple's other offerings and asked me about it. I sat down one weekend afternoon and showed him the basics of how Mac OS X worked on my PowerBook. I backed up my own data, set him up his own account, and handed him the machine to play with and tinker and learn for about two weeks.

Fast forward about two months and he had a PowerBook of his own. He still has a PC on his desk with Windows and I believe a spare box for tinkering with Linux, but now he takes his PowerBook everywhere for most day-to-day activities.

Walking into an Apple Store for an after noon simply does not do justice. Period. You have to use the machine for a week before you really notice and appreciate the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) nuances that make a Mac... well... a Mac. If you want to make a truly informed and educated decision about this, seek out a computer to borrow. If you're a university student, check with your library or other departments. I know some will loan PowerBooks or iBooks to students free of charge.

psgamer0921
2006-01-16, 23:29
Well, if you can, do what a I did with a friend of mine a while back. My friend was an expert PC user who know Windows inside and out and had dabbled with Linux. His fiancée had gotten a 20 GB iPod (back when they were top of the line) and he was curious about Apple's other offerings and asked me about it. I sat down one weekend afternoon and showed him the basics of how Mac OS X worked on my PowerBook. I backed up my own data, set him up his own account, and handed him the machine to play with and tinker and learn for about two weeks.

Fast forward about two months and he had a PowerBook of his own. He still has a PC on his desk with Windows and I believe a spare box for tinkering with Linux, but now he takes his PowerBook everywhere for most day-to-day activities.

Walking into an Apple Store for an after noon simply does not do justice. Period. You have to use the machine for a week before you really notice and appreciate the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) nuances that make a Mac... well... a Mac. If you want to make a truly informed and educated decision about this, seek out a computer to borrow. If you're a university student, check with your library or other departments. I know some will loan PowerBooks or iBooks to students free of charge.
Well that's definitely encouraging. I guess I'm stupid for trying to make a decision without actually having a Mac in front of me. Don't think I can get him to lend it to me for 2 weeks, but I'll be able to sit there for a couple hours playing with it.

While there may not be much of a reason to switch, there's also not much of a reason not to switch. I need to upgrade this computer (No DVD drive, 40gig harddrive, Dell, etc.) so I'm taking this as a perfect oppritunity to look at alternative choices.

Well now, just see you edited your post. Sadly, I'm a freshman in high school, so there's no such luck for me to borrow one from a college. But, with enough convincing (and maybe some bribing) I might be able to get him to lend me his iBook for a week. He's got another Mac, so he shouldn't have TOO much withdrawl

azcoder
2006-01-16, 23:38
Why switch?

Here are some of the reasons I love the Mac (I also use Linux and Windows at work all the time):

#1) Best UI. Hands down. I love the Dock, Finder, Spotlight. Everything just works.
#2) Unix under the covers. (Linux has this too). The command line is simply a critical and necessary tool for many system functions. Bash,grep, et al. are my friends.
#3) iLife - If you have a digital camera, dgital camcorder, iPod, or play guitar(i have them all), then iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and garageband are simply outstanding.
#4) Media - As I collect more and more media - music, movies, photos, etc.....the mac is best place to use media.
#5) This may sound silly - but I just enjoy using the mac so much more.....it is....just...cooler....

Windows is like cheap beer - everyone drinks it, its cheap, not that satisfying.
Linux is like Jack Daniels - it gets the job done. Straight to the point - be careful.
The mac is like a fine wine....something to be experienced, appreciated, and enjoyed.

;-)

chucker
2006-01-16, 23:50
Walking into an Apple Store for an after noon simply does not do justice. Period. You have to use the machine for a week before you really notice and appreciate the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) nuances that make a Mac... well... a Mac.

I would say it's more than just a week, in fact. It does take a lot of time for most people to realize the subtle, but notable, differences between the two operating systems. It takes a long time for someone to drop Windows-esque habits and start learning stuff the Mac way.

That said, people have already summed it up nicely:
1) "Convincing" you is not going to work. What works for you works for you, what works for us may not work for you the same way, and your mileage may (and will) vary. You have indicated that you yourself, out of own interest, are considering a Mac. That's what matters, not what others say. So if you do want to give it a try and if you can seriously say that you have the time to take that plunge, then:
2) Either get a Mac from a friend for a while, or, much better, buy one from your nearby Apple Store and check with them regarding restocking fee. You can probably keep it for two weeks, or maybe even more, then having to pay back a fee of maybe $150. Then, spend this time, and perhaps most importantly: forget (almost) everything you've ever learnt about computers before. Try and approach your new Mac from a completely naive perspective.

And if you like it? Keep it. If you don't, well, you've just pretty much had a computer rental for about ten bucks a day.

Either way, do come back here and give us reports of what you like and what you don't like. :)

turbulentfurball
2006-01-17, 05:40
I would say it's more than just a week, in fact. It does take a lot of time for most people to realize the subtle, but notable, differences between the two operating systems. It takes a long time for someone to drop Windows-esque habits and start learning stuff the Mac way.

I've just started the new semester, and all the computers there are Dells... I've lost count of how many times I;ve tried to get expose to work in windows now.

I agree... and to add to the point it's very easy to pick up OS X-esque habits

arnoct
2006-01-17, 10:41
I ask you, Windows user, how often does a program crash that takes down the entire OS, forcing you to reboot? How often does the installation of a program cause something weird to happen with Windows, forcing you to use that neat little System Restore feature (notice, they dont have one on Macs - its not needed) and roll back your computer to an earlier date? Or, if you buy perpherials (cameras, scanners, printers), how much time do you spend looking for and installing weird drivers - and of course, if those weird drivers gunk up your machine, its back to system restore you go.

The answer to all three of your questions is "never." Then again, I've been using computers for a very long time and know how to do things. I've never had a program bring down the OS (except for one that I KNEW would screw up :P), ALWAYS have had system restore turned OFF, and have NEVER experienced "driver hell." XP has reached a point where it can be considered "stable" (although, it's still not as stable as Mac OS and other *nix/BSD-based OSes.)

Although spyware/malware is a big issue that needs to be dealt with.

sloth501
2006-01-17, 12:39
Sargasm hit the "nail on the head" for my reason to swtich. After using Windows for over 10 years (going back to Window 95), I got sick of the malware, program crashes, security holes, etc.

My most recent expereince related to removing Zone Alarm from my notebook because the security software from SBC/Yahoo was supposed to be "really good." It was good at finding stuff after the fact but not preventing. After spending 6 weeks removing spyware, viruses (typically 3 to 6 new ones a day) and toolbars from Internet Explorer (that required registry edits to remove) I got fed up with it and bought an iMac last week.

I was going to buy another Windows PC to build a PVR system but after my wife decided she wanted the satellite line coming into our kid's play room/home office in a different location, I lost interest in getting another Windows PC and the malware situation finalized the decision for me....

By the way, I'm an old Apple user. I used an Apple IIe from '82 to '89 before I got my first MS-Dos PC. Its kind of cool be coming full circle IMHO....

Wraven
2006-01-17, 13:20
Two words - Norton Antivirus.

But seriously, as a fellow PC person (who has built 10+ computers in his time...), I have not once regretted switching to the Mac. It did take some time to figure out how to replace some of the tasks I did on the PC, but now I have no good reason (other than Lotus Notes :( ) to keep a PC around in my house.

Try it - you'll like it. If you don't, you have 2 weeks to take it back (minus the restocking fee most likely).

toyotaco01
2006-01-18, 13:26
Wraven: I don't understand your two words (not sarcastic, I honestly don't know whether you're talking about OS X or XP)

Do you use Norton Systemworks/Antivirus on your Apple? If not, isn't it kind of dangerous not have virus protection and a firewall?

I'm a Windows user that will probably get an iMac in a few months, so I'm trying to learn things here and there.

curiousuburb
2006-01-18, 13:42
Not only is virus protection on the Mac unnecessary (there are NO Mac OS X viruses after six years... zip. zilch. nada. not a sausage.), but Norton for the Mac is generally considered malware in and of itself... crashtastic piece of dreck.

The only reason antivirus software even exists for the Mac is to clean attachments received and forwarded from/to Windows users, and for the less than 50 viruses that existed for the Mac prior to 2000 (none of which can infect OS X itself). Read the many other threads here for more data.

The built-in firewall uses IPFW, and unlike Windows machines, ships with all ports closed by default.

There is no reason to purchase 3rd party antivirus or firewall tools under OS X, except as a courtesy to your typhoid mary windows colleagues.

Try saying that with any flavour of Windows... ;)

DMBand0026
2006-01-18, 13:49
toyotaco01, allow me to set the record straight for you once and for all.

1. Antivirus software is not necessary for a Mac machine. There is not a single known virus, worm, trojan, spyware, or malware that can affect OSX, which is the operating system that Apple computers use. However, if you wish to be a good net neighbor, you may want to install some sort of virus scanner to scan your outgoing e mails for viruses. Although Macs can not be infected by malware, those sort of programs can be on a Mac. Often times malware propagates itself through e mail. You are able to send a piece of malware to another user, although it can not do any harm to your computer. However, most Mac users don't feel it's necessary to spend money to protect users of other computers, myself being one of them. I've never had an antivirus program and I don't intend to get one.

2. If you do decide to get an antivirus program, avoid Norton products like the plague. Norton and OSX have a long and complicated history frequently involving the installation of Norton and the subsequent downhill slide of the machine into the land of unusability. In other words, do not, under any circumstances, use Norton. This mostly applies to Norton System Works, but it may carry over to the antivirus programs. Personally, I don't feel comfortable using any Norton products considering the utter crappyness of System Works.

3. OSX has a built in firewall that is very good. To turn it on, you click one button and you're all set. Easy as that. A majority of Mac users will use a firewall, just because it's a good idea, not to mention, we're not paying anything extra for it.

Hope this helps.

Blue Light Bandit
2006-01-18, 13:51
Wraven: I don't understand your two words (not sarcastic, I honestly don't know whether you're talking about OS X or XP)

Do you use Norton Systemworks/Antivirus on your Apple? If not, isn't it kind of dangerous not have virus protection and a firewall?Absofrigginlutely not! :) I just posted a similar reply a couple days ago in another thread about just how unnecessary and actually downright bad Norton's software for Mac OS X is:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=12933

You really, really, really should get rid of Norton AntiVirus and Norton anything software that's running on your Mac. There are lots of horror stories about it here and elsewhere on the web.

edit: here are just a few:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...ghlight=norton

edit: and, like DMBand said, there are zero native viruses for Mac OS X.

brichpmr
2006-01-18, 15:59
I use XP Pro and OSX about 50/50. In my daily use, both platforms are pretty stable; but I have a definite preference for the aesthetic of Tiger...XP feels like an OS from about 1999 to me. I enjoy using the same MS Intellimouse Optical on both platforms. Perhaps, the OP will want to 'add' instead of totally switching. For me, one of the real Mac advantages is the ease of using great shareware like SuperDuper! to quickly create incremental bootable clones to external firewire. I find this much more reliable than, say, the restore point option in XP (which I tend to turn off anyway).

The main advice I give folks like the OP is to obtain an informed preference by using OSX on tasks you normally do in Windows, then see how you like the Mac computing environment.