PDA

View Full Version : To keep dotMac or not to keep?

losslesshead
2006-01-17, 16:12
Well, my dotMac subscription is expiring in about two days, and I am wondering whether I should keep it or not. I really only use it for email, nothing more, I already have 1and1 for quality hosting (with 30 GB of storage!). My question is, should I keep dotMac? Really? What would I do about Apple ID's and iTunes and such? Please respond ASAP!

Wraven
2006-01-17, 16:22
losslesshead,
Apple ID's and iTunes have nothing to do with dotMac. If you don't use it, then you could drop it. There would be no effect on iTunes OR your Apple ID (the ID for the Apple web site, NOT your email account).

However, you might want to check out iLife '06 before deciding not to renew. There are new features of iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand that integrate more with dotMac, and iWeb is built all around it. Personally, I am renewing (mine is up in March), but that is because I am getting iLife '06 for free on my new MBP.

Good luck in your decision!

losslesshead
2006-01-17, 16:27
Well, I have checked out iLife 06- I have been using it for a couple days now. iWeb particularly is a VERY limited product- only can use Apple's templates, and you cannot insert HTML nor make image links (easily). The iWeb Blogs do not have a comment nor trackback system and you can ONLY use a desktop client. In terms of the other iLife apps, I can always publish things manualy.

What I mean by ID is that by dropping my dotMac account- what would happen to the actual ID since the ID is your email address?

shell
2006-01-17, 17:22
You can change the ID at any time, my ID used to be my .mac address, then I changed it to my school email address, then I decided to change it to be my name so that it was future proof the next time I changed my addy.

losslesshead
2006-01-17, 18:31
I tried that but it only let's me change the primary email address, so I would still have to sign in as losslesshead@mac.com. I am wondering how you got to change yours?

EDIT: Wait, that might have been before Apple intergrated dotMac and Apple ID...

losslesshead
2006-01-17, 20:52
Any one have anymore advice?

rasmits
2006-01-17, 21:00
I keep my .Mac account mostly because I don't want to change my primary email address again. I really don't use any of the other features.

losslesshead
2006-01-17, 21:05
Well, my main question is: do you think I should keep it for iLife future upgrades and is there any way to change your Apple ID.

rasmits
2006-01-17, 21:35
Keep it for iLife updates? You don't need .Mac for iLife. What exactly is it that you mean? If you're asking everyone whether you should keep spending $99 per year, that's up to you. I have no idea. Do you use it? Are you hard up for cash? Only you can decide.

Don't let the fact that you still need to log in with "@mac.com" stop you from deleting the account. A minor inconvenience at most, and that's if it's unchangeable.

And as for changing your Apple ID, try calling Apple, or going to an Apple Store. (Good luck with the genius bar. On second thought, don't go to a store)

losslesshead
2006-01-18, 09:42
What I mean is: I would gladly get rid of it (it has kind of kept me under a spell with Apple, like refusing to use better products even if Apple only has a crappy one)- but I am wondering whether future versions of iLife will RELY on dotMac. Do you use it?

LudwigVan
2006-01-18, 14:26
What I mean is: I would gladly get rid of it (it has kind of kept me under a spell with Apple, like refusing to use better products even if Apple only has a crappy one)- but I am wondering whether future versions of iLife will RELY on dotMac. Do you use it?

If it did rely on it, Apple would lose sales--it's probably safe to say that a majority of iLife users do not have a .Mac account.

EDIT: Corrected spelling error.

Phoenix
2006-01-18, 16:54
sails hehehe :D

losslesshead
2006-01-18, 18:29
If it did rely on it, Apple would lose sails--it's probably safe to say that a majority of iLife users do not have a .Mac account.
Yeah but would they risk it and does anyone have a straight anwer (Yes or No) for me?

SonOfSylvanus
2006-01-18, 19:25
Yeah but would they risk it and does anyone have a straight anwer (Yes or No) for me?
How could anyone possible have a "straight answer" for you?

It's the future—we don't know!

So, like everyone's said, for the foreseeable future, iLife will probably not rely on .Mac.

FFL
2006-01-18, 19:35
I would say that iLife is enhanced by .mac, but does not require it, and that will probably remain true in the near future.

losslesshead
2006-01-18, 20:17
I think I am just going to keep it for now....

LudwigVan
2006-01-18, 21:43
hehehe :D

D'oh! Thanks for catching that.

Phoenix
2006-01-18, 22:25
No worries. It amused me anyway.