PDA

View Full Version : How to select memory in the Apple Online store

machick
2006-01-18, 00:13
Again, I am not so sure if this is where I should post this, so feel free to let me know or move the thread .

I am going to buy a new Mac online, and in the part of the store that lets you customize your new machine (in this case, a 12" iBook or 12" PowerBook), it states that if you get 768MB of SDRAM, that it's 512MB built in + 256MB SO-DIMM, and for the 12" Powerbook that 512MB of RAM is 256MB built in + 256 SO-DIMM. Can anyone tell me what this means? Does this mean that the computer comes with 256MB of memory in it and that I have to install the rest?

As you can see, I am extremely technologically unsavvy, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MCQ
2006-01-18, 00:20
Again, I am not so sure if this is where I should post this, so feel free to let me know or move the thread .

I am going to buy a new Mac online, and in the part of the store that lets you customize your new machine (in this case, a 12" iBook or 12" PowerBook), it states that if you get 768MB of SDRAM, that it's 512MB built in + 256MB SO-DIMM, and for the 12" Powerbook that 512MB of RAM is 256MB built in + 256 SO-DIMM. Can anyone tell me what this means? Does this mean that the computer comes with 256MB of memory in it and that I have to install the rest?

As you can see, I am extremely technologically unsavvy, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Built-in means that it's soldered to the internal logic board of the system and cannot be removed. The SO-DIMM module is something that can be removed/replaced.

Both the iBook and PB have one slot which can be filled with an SO-DIMM, and based on your selection Apple would install the relevant SO-DIMM into the slot.

SuperMi
2006-01-18, 00:20
Yes.
I have been to Apple store....The 256MB in powerbook is already installed....You have to install the rest...

The maximum for ibook RAM 1.5Gb
While, Powerbook RAM 1.25 Gb

euain
2006-01-18, 04:44
Yes.
I have been to Apple store....The 256MB in powerbook is already installed....You have to install the rest...

The maximum for ibook RAM 1.5Gb
While, Powerbook RAM 1.25 Gb

That could be a bit misleading. If you order from the Apple Store, it will come with all the memory installed; you do not need to get any screw drivers out.

As someone might point out (I suppose I am), you may be cheaper buying the iBook with the base memory (512MB) going elsewhere to get additional memory. Or, you might not want to go to the extra bother..

If you do this, you will need to install this additional memory. This requires a screw driver - but is a simple operation. There are instructions in the manual that comes with the 'book and it does not affect your warranty.

Euain

machick
2006-01-18, 08:42
Great, thanks for the info everyone. I was worried that if I ordered online that it would get here and I would have extra memory that I wouldn't have a clue what to do with!

Appreciate the input!