PDA

View Full Version : Need a refurbished PCI/AGP graphics card

cmdugan
2006-01-18, 14:46
I've got a PowerMac G4 (Gigabit-Ehternet) 500mhz dual-processor that I'd like to put a newer graphics card in.

Currently it has the stock 16 meg Rage 128 which is pretty pokey in OSX. I'd like something along the lines of a 32 meg GeForce2 or better. I'm hoping that it will pep up the Quartz graphics system. I'm also currently running Jaguar so it would need to work with that.

Anyone know where I could find something compatible? Will any PCI card work in this computer?

I'd like to spend under $100...

Luca
2006-01-18, 16:55
Jaguar is the first version of OS X to introduce Quartz Extreme, which gives a major performance boost if you have a compatible video card. The Rage 128 is not, but nearly everything else supports QE.

First off, do not get a PCI video card. There is a hack that allows PCI video cards to run Quartz Extreme, but it's not officially supported and there are several drawbacks. You really want/need an AGP video card.

eBay is a good place to look, as long as you watch out for scammers and read the fine print. This auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ATI-RADEON-7500-32MB-MAC-CUBE-ADC-VIDEO-CARD-N10476_W0QQitemZ8753212203QQcategoryZ25449QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem) seems like a good deal... $52 shipped for a decent card that supports Quartz Extreme and is compatible with your Power Mac. Just try not to spend too much, and make sure you're getting an AGP card instead of PCI.

allied
2006-01-23, 21:54
You might try Other World Computing for this:

Apple OEM / ATI Technologies RADEON 9600 PRO 4X AGP 64MB Video Card for the Power Macintosh G4s* - ADC(unpowered) and DVI Outputs W/ 1yr Warranty *For PowerMac G4 Digital Audio/Quicksilver/Mirrored Drive Door Only! - Modified! (APL630ATI96G4) more info... $79.00

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/video/hardware/

Luca
2006-01-24, 00:01
That graphics card is not compatible. It's for 4x AGP only, and the Gigabit Ethernet Power Mac G4 uses 2x AGP. It won't even physically accept the card.