PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express and Dual Ethernet Basestation

ericarthur
2004-08-10, 06:00
I have a dual ethernet basestation connected to my DSL router and while this works fine, I have recently purchased an Airport Express to use at university, but I would also like to be able to use it at home to extend the range of the network. I believe that this uses WDS, but I cannot seem to allow the main basestation to support it - every time I update the settings in the admin utility, they revert to being unchecked when I check the settings following the restart. Simply, given my kit (APEx, ABS), what can I do to get online when in reach of either of the two access points.

Thanks in anticipation for your help

Luca
2004-08-10, 09:22
I think Airport Express can only extend the range of an Airport Extreme base station. Normally I would think they'd at least make it so it can extend the range of any Apple ABS, but I am pretty sure the Airport Extreme was the first ABS to support range extension. So I guess you'll have to either live with it or buy an Airport Extreme Base Station.

FFL
2004-08-10, 09:30
luca is correct

DMBand0026
2004-08-10, 09:36
Does anyone else think that's really stupid? :grumble: :mad:

I'd vent, but it's too early, and I've said it all already.
:(

Luca
2004-08-10, 09:38
I would guess that the older ABSs actually can't work with it. The reason is that the older ones are just wireless transmitters - they send out wireless signals. The APEBS, on the other hand, has the hardware necessary to receive incoming wireless signals and retransmit them as part of the same network. Maybe that's not how it works but that might be why it only works with the APEBS.

DMBand0026
2004-08-10, 09:43
But what about third party basestations? Do they not have the same hardware as an APExtreme basestation would? I guess I'm just a little disappointed that I'm going to spend $120 on this thing and it won't rebroadcast my wireless signal. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Luca
2004-08-10, 09:52
Nope, no third party base stations have this ability. In fact, I challenge you to find a single wireless router (Apple or otherwise) that supports range extension using a wireless router made by a different company. I don't think there are any.