PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mouse Specs?

Gotoboy
2006-01-23, 14:18
So I was thinking about getting the mighty mouse but I wanted some info about it before I buy.
I have a 12" iBook and I find that the standard Apple mice cords are a little short. The USB ports being on the left and being right handed, makes the use of the mouse a pain. So my question is how long is this cord on that mouse and is it good for the iBook? Also is there any speculation of a wireless version coming out anytime in the future?

chucker
2006-01-23, 14:23
Get a retractable USB extension cord (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=retractable+usb+extension). You can get them for just a few bucks and might even find one at the dollar store.

I personally prefer short cords as they don't get in the way as much, and if I want to extend them, I just use something like the above. Takes up almost no space and lets you extend the cable just as little or as much as needed.

That said, yes, Apple's mouse cords are usually rather short.

DMBand0026
2006-01-23, 14:27
Have you ever used an Apple Pro mouse? Have you ever used a Mighty Mouse?

If not, make sure you use one first before deciding that this is the mouse for you. It's unlike anything that you're probably used before, and that's usually not a good thing for most users.

Gotoboy
2006-01-23, 14:45
Have you ever used an Apple Pro mouse? Have you ever used a Mighty Mouse?

If not, make sure you use one first before deciding that this is the mouse for you. It's unlike anything that you're probably used before, and that's usually not a good thing for most users.
what kind of differences are there? I have used single click mice and I have not heard anything about these mice being hard or strange to use.

jevau
2006-01-23, 19:28
what kind of differences are there? I have used single click mice and I have not heard anything about these mice being hard or strange to use.

i think DMBand0026 was just refering to the difference between Apple mice and standard two button mice. Apple mice do feel a little different compared to say Logitech or Microsoft, but i wouldn't worry about that too much.

i agree with chucker on the usb extension if you really want to use the Mighty Mouse, otherwise, i'd consider the wireless mouse or a different bluetooth mouse as another option

Windowsrookie
2006-01-23, 21:55
there are also 2 usb ports on the back of most keyboards, including the apple keyboard.

Ichiban_jay
2006-01-23, 22:03
I haven't seen very many keyboards in the "windows" world that have USB ports on the back of them.... Only have seen them on Apple's wired keyboards.

Yontsey
2006-01-23, 22:07
i know all the dells we have here at BGSU in our computer labs have 2 usb 2.0 ports on the keyboard and 2 usb 2.0 ports on the side of the flat paneled lcd's

DMBand0026
2006-01-24, 00:38

Just making sure you knew what you were getting yourself into. Apple mice are an acquired taste, and one that some never quite get the hang of. I used one until about 6 months ago when I got a Logitech MX1000. I bought the Mighty Mouse before that and was less than impressed, so much so that I returned it a day after I bought it.

Personally, I'm very comfortable using Apple mice and I really see no problem with it, I just wanted to make sure you realized that there is a difference between Apple mice and most others.

Maciej
2006-01-24, 01:11
i know all the dells we have here at BGSU in our computer labs have 2 usb 2.0 ports on the keyboard and 2 usb 2.0 ports on the side of the flat paneled lcd's

I think this is a very recently introduced feature on Dells? Is it not?

Paranoid666au
2006-01-24, 01:13
Yea there different, I think the Mighty Mouse is flatter and less 'shaped' than other mice. To me it's more comfortable and nicer to to hold, its kind of like holding a polish stone in your hand, except it's smooth polished plastic (and much lighter!).

The left click is easy but right clicking only happens when all you fingers are on the right side. That's how the touch sensitivity works, sensing fingers on the left side or on both sides registerers a left click; sensing fingers on the right side, a right click. For me it works, it's so so easy to move the index finger over to the right side, in fact I click with mostly my index finger. Though some might not get out of the habit of right clicking with the middle finger.

The scroll ball is simply awesome and I can never go back to linear scroll wheels. Sure there's not much true 360 degree scrolling but being able to scroll side ways just as freely as up down is simply fantastic!

I plugged the mouse into my 12" powebook and there's just enough cord for right handed usage. I haven't actually used it like that but there seems to be just enough too allow free moment.

Yontsey
2006-01-24, 01:16
I think this is a very recently introduced feature on Dells? Is it not?

i dunno, ive been here about 2 years and they have had the same computers the whole time. id say there about 3 years old

RowdyScot
2006-01-24, 01:56
Yeah, BG hasn't switched it up for awhile. They still have the G3 iMacs around campus. Have they upgraded to 10.4 yet? Last year they were still OS 9.

I personally like the Mighty Mouse, but I know a lot of people don't. I guess it can best be described as an acquired taste. Try it out before you make a purchase.

chaos123x
2006-01-25, 09:56
Dude the Mighty mouse SUCKS... I bought one when they first came out... It mistakes a left click for a right click ALLOT... making it very annoying to use... The scroll ball is nice, but works like TOTAL crap if you use firefox (left and right act as back and foward on Firefox browser, so if your scrolling up or down the page you might accidently scroll left and go back like 5 webpages)... Other anoying things is Expose and your Dashboard constanly going off because you accidently touched the buttons... You can turn these features off... but then that defeats the purpose of the mouse...

I bought the Mighty Mouse because I was going to by a 2 button mouse anyway and I though it would nice to have the Apple brand on it.... But I could of got a much nicer mouse for a cheaper price if I went with another companies product.

chucker
2006-01-25, 10:07
The scroll ball is nice, but works like TOTAL crap if you use firefox (left and right act as back and foward on Firefox browser, so if your scrolling up or down the page you might accidently scroll left and go back like 5 webpages)...

That's a Firefox setting that you can easily fix.

Maciej
2006-01-25, 11:33
In any way, if I were to buy a mouse - it would most probably be one of the higher end Logitech models.

The Mind
2006-01-25, 12:01
im using a Logitech MX510. For me it works well, good shape, stoped my RSI comming back, plenty of discrete shortcut buttons that dont get in the way if you dont want to use them and a clicky scole wheel (which I like).

The Mind

Gotoboy
2006-01-27, 02:07
About the side scroll thing on firefox and it scrolling back pages. How do you keep it from doing that anyways?

chucker
2006-01-27, 02:20
About the side scroll thing on firefox and it scrolling back pages. How do you keep it from doing that anyways?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040617000005758

Brad
2006-01-27, 02:27
BZZT.

Sorry, chucker. The correct answer is: don't use Firefox!

;)

chucker
2006-01-27, 02:30
BZZT.

Sorry, chucker. The correct answer is: don't use Firefox!

;)

Just trying to be constructive. Sorry I failed horribly. :) :D