PDA

View Full Version : The Obilgatory MLB 2004 Thread

HOM
2004-05-18, 14:12
Someone had to do it.
:p

So far there are few surprises this season except that my Mets are somehow hanging around .500. I could have sworn that they would be cellar dwellers at this point.

Anyone else think at some point this season Bond's, Giambi's, and Sosa's drug tests are going to leaked and they're all going to turn up positive?

How's your team doing? Anything standing out so far?

eventhorizon
2004-05-18, 14:32
WHERE DID OUR PITCHING GO?

Sucks getting swept by the Reds but the Dodgers are still a damn good team this year...despite the recent pitching slump.

Eugene
2004-05-18, 18:39
Where did our everything go? Oh yeah, Magowan pissed everything away and he thinks fielding the worst Giants team since the early 90s is going to help his financial situation.

Bonds should hit lead-off because he has no protection anyway. They should still line-up the same as with Bonds batting 4th, except with every hitter shifted 3 positions up. I could care less if Durham, Snow and Tucker have one less AB if it means Bonds has one more.

It looks like Clemens is going to have a career year...at 41 years old. :eek:

HOM
2004-05-18, 22:46
Well, I just got back from the Mets game and I can't stop :eek:

Bottom of the 9th comeback was unbelievable. I've been all over Matsui this year because he is allergic to back handing the ball, diving for the ball, or making a play in the hole, but he sure came through in the clutch. And Floyd? He's been on a tear since coming off the DL. A 2 run homer and the game winning hit after fouling a ball off his soar ankle. As I like to say, that's why they call them Amazin'.

In other MLB news, Randy Johnson pitched a perfect game tonight. Not sure, but I think it's the 14th in the history of the game. Can't wait to catch the highlights on Baseball Tonight.

Argento
2004-05-19, 00:47
17th in Baseball history and he's 40 years old.....I hope i age half as well.

DMBand0026
2004-05-19, 00:53
Cubbies...gotta love those cubbies

6 of their 25 roster players from opening day are on the DL...and they are still hanging in there head hunting Houston for 1st in the NL Central. Just proves that they have great depth. I can't wait till the team is healthy again, than we'll see what's up in the NL Central, these Cubbies are gonna run away with it.
And as far as The Series goes, Cubs over Red Sox in 6.
Just wait and see. It's bold, but it will happen.
Hold on to your butts baseball fans, it's gonna be an awesome year!

Eugene
2004-05-19, 04:29
Cubbies...gotta love those cubbies

6 of their 25 roster players from opening day are on the DL...and they are still hanging in there head hunting Houston for 1st in the NL Central. Just proves that they have great depth. I can't wait till the team is healthy again, than we'll see what's up in the NL Central, these Cubbies are gonna run away with it.
And as far as The Series goes, Cubs over Red Sox in 6.
Just wait and see. It's bold, but it will happen.
Hold on to your butts baseball fans, it's gonna be an awesome year!
Hmm, you'll have to convince me the Astros won't keep hitting the way they do. Biggio, A. Everett, Bagwell, Kent, Berkman, Hidalgo, Engsberg, Ausmus...that line-up is relentless. On paper, that beats a line-up of Grudz, C. Patterson, Sosa, Alou, Ramirez, D. Lee, Alex Gonzalez, and Barrett. You also have to consider that right now Houston has the best 1-2 punch of all 30 teams in Clemens and Pettite, neither of which were the opening day starter. Oswalt and Wade Miller aren't too shabby either.

As for the Red Sox...
Wait till the Yankees trade for Freddy Garcia, Randy Johnson or another starter that'll be a free agent in the off-season. Sheffield and Bernie Williams will heat up. Will Aaron Boone be ready by August? Will the Yankees sign him to play 2B? Hmm.

I think this is how the postseason will shape up:

AL West: Oakland
AL Central: Minnesota
AL East: New York Yankees
AL Wild Card: Boston

NL West: San Diego
NL Central: Houston
NL East: Philadelphia
NL Wild Card: Chicago Cubs

I pick Oakland over Anaheim because of all the injuries. Oakland losing Ellis for the season is much less of an issue than the Angels losing Glaus. Garret Anderson is still on the DL and nobody knows why. Erstad is hurt. Guerrero is guaranteed to aggravate his back injury or knee injury or both.

The Twins offense is full of power and speed. KC looks to be back to its pre-2003 self. The Twins will wrap the Central Division up quickly.

The Yankees are always going to be in the thick of it.

Boston will get back Trot Nixon and Garciaparra and make it interesting, but they don't have the rotation beyond Schilling and Pedro, both of which are injury risks. They can't expect too much from Lowe, Wakefield and Arroyo (?!).

San Diego is my riskiest pick. Burroughs, Loretta, Giles, Nevin, Klesko, Payton, etc? That's a big league line-up...finally. Khalil Greene is going to be the NL Rookie of the Year. The Dodgers are scoring runs right now, but their baby-faced middle infielders are going to be back to hitting .250 or below. Milton Bradley's going to get frustrated. Gagne will blow his first save in a hundred years and the mystique will be gone a la John Smoltz. Dave Roberts is going to play 90 games at most.

Houston is stacked.

The Cubs...I think it's going to take more than blowing up a baseball to lift the curse. Bartman is still out there, waiting for the post-season. He's still a fan...he'll attend a game.

DMBand0026
2004-05-19, 23:15
The Cubs...I think it's going to take more than blowing up a baseball to lift the curse. Bartman is still out there, waiting for the post-season. He's still a fan...he'll attend a game.

Nice evaluation. Good stuff. However, on paper and on the field have proven to be to entirely different things. We shall see come October who stands alone :)

As for Stevo...if he rears his ugly head anywhere near the city of Chicago again, he'll be killed. Mark my words. He's got a price on his head higher than Bin Laden himself.

Argento
2004-05-20, 02:19
Anybody see Fat Matt Lecroy hit that grandslam in the top of the ninth??? HELL YES TWINS!!!

DMBand0026
2004-05-23, 23:48
Anybody see Fat Matt Lecroy hit that grandslam in the top of the ninth??? HELL YES TWINS!!!

Anything that keeps the Sox out of first place is fine by me.

Go Twins, but more importantly, go Cubs!!!

First place in the NL Central even with almost half their opening day lineup on the DL, that's impressive if I do say so myself.
Things are gonna be mighty interesting when everyone comes back, Sosa, Prior, Grudz., Gonzo, Remlinger, Wood...unbeatable :D

HOM
2004-07-12, 17:01
Bumpity bump bump.

Apologies to divisions that are not the NL East. I don't follow them like I do the NL East.

NL East
Well, well, well. The East is the division nobody wants to win. With the exception of the Expos, every team is within 2 games of first place. Although the Phillies have built their team for this year they haven't made that push yet to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. The Marlins are still struggling with being a young team and the seams are starting to show. Most importantly for their chances, the loss of Pudge seems to have really impacted the young pitching staff. The Braves were terrible for two months, but Bobby Cox has willed that team back into contention as he always does. Until proven differently, the NL East still runs through Atlanta.

Ah, now the Metropolitans. They've shown signs of life recently and since stealing Richard Hidalgo from the Astros they've upped their runs per game by more than 2. The addition of Rick Peterson as pitching coach has had an immediate impact as the Mets have the lowest team ERA in baseball and the crusty veterans like Glavine and Leiter are having their best seasons in years. Got a ton more about the Metropolitans, but I'll save it for another time.

NL Central
The Houston Astros have gone nowhere despite having arguable the best rotation going into the season and after picking up Carlos Beltran they're still in 4th place 10.5 games out of first. The Cubbies have been a solid team, but have been hampered by injuries and inconsistent play. At this point, baring some amazing turn, the Cardinals have this division wrapped up. The biggest shock to me is that the Bewers are playing good baseball despite the fact that there is the stench of criminal charges against the Seligs and having the second lowest payroll in the game.

NL West
Another division that nobody wants to win. The Padres have made a good showing, but it's unlikely they can hang in there with the New York deserters from LA and SF. Barry Bonds continues to be un-Godly at the plate on pace to destroy every offensive record there is. Gange's consecutive Saves streak came to an end a few nights ago. That streak has apparently changed the entire dynamic of Not Brooklyn Dodgers' games. At this point, I would guess the NL West goes to whomever stays the healthiest. The other thing to watch is if the Diamondbacks are willing to part with the Big Unit and sacrifice fan attendance for the next 3-4 years.

AL East
The Yankees. Is there anything else I really need to say? Boston is out of it. Baltimore is rebuilding. The only stand out has got to be the Devil Rays. Just as Bobby Cox has willed the Braves, Lou Pinella's singular drive to win and understanding of young players have made the Rays a good team. Everyone laughed when he said that they wouldn't finish in last place, but at this point they have a 5 game lead over Toronto for 4th place. It will be interesting to watch the Rays in the second half.

AL Central
With the exception of the Royals, 5.5 games separate the rest of the division. The Tigers are really not bad this year and are on the verge of one of the biggest turn arounds since the Braves in 1991. Pudge is providing the leadership that is so sorely lacking in Florida. He is also poised to become the first catcher ever to lead his league in batting average assuming he can stay healthy. The White Sox picked up the best pitcher available in Freddy Garcia and locked him up for the next 3 years. Most people think that they gave up too much for him, but with the complete and utter lack of quality starting pitching in the game right now no price is too high.

AL West
Once again the team that ditches A-Rod rises to the top of the division. At what point will pundits start opining about wether he is a cancer for a team? Buck Showalter has once again shown that he is the man to rebuild a team and prepare them for a run. Wether he gets the boot like he did in NY and Arizona or he gets to wait this out has yet to be determined. Anaheim has been devastated by injuries this year, but Vlad has carried this team on his shoulders the entire season and kept them in the race. Oakland's Money Ball roster continues to perform in the regular season, but nobody really believes they can win in the post season. There are too many rumors that Zito is on the trading block to dismiss them out of hand, but his numbers have been on the decline for a few seasons now. It's one thing to trade top prospects for a fire baller like The Unit, but it's an entirely different beast to trade for a junk baller that can't break 88 MPH.

Well, the season is half over now and we're in the All Star Break.

Players to watch
After a surprisingly good start Junior Griffey is on the DL again with another hammy pull. At what point does he just give up on playing the field and become a full time DH?

Will the Unit be in Arizona at the end of the season?

Will Pittsburgh really get the Queen's jewels for a mediocre pitcher like Benson?

Is Lowe really on the way out of Bean Town?

All Star Game
The home run derby is tonight. My money is on Bonds. He's going to put on an exhibition like we've never seen before. I mean, he gets one or two pitches to hit in an entire series and by god he kills those two pitches. With a guy throwing them down the heart of the plate he's going to show people why using steroids is good for baseball.

The NL is going to start the Clemens/Piazza battery. There is no love lost between these two men, but don't expect any fireworks. They are both professionals and despite the fact that they can't stand each other, they'll keep their mouths shut and play the game. It would be nice for Piazza to tip off the batter to what's coming.

Once again, the league that wins the ASG gets home field in the World Series. Last year it didn't make a difference, but as the promos say, "This year is counts."

That's about it for now.

Eugene
2004-07-12, 18:11
NL East:
The Mets are NOT contenders. I'm betting Hidalgo, Cameron and Floyd disappear down the stretch. I don't believe in the Braves, but where Sheffield is missing, they now have a healthy JD Drew? Weird. I guess you really can't count them out...ever. I think if the Phillies didn't play in a boombox like Citizen's Bank Field, they would have left the other teams in the dust. Live ballparks tend to act as equalizera. The Marlins are done...Juan Pierre and Castillo don't seem to want to run. They have corner power with Lowell at 3B, but Choi can't hit lefties...at all.

NL Central:
The Astros...yikes. They're done. The Cubs are still in it. Wood is healthy again. Dusty needs to stop abusing his pitchers and fake the killer instinct, since he has none. He doesn't know how to use a bullpen. Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen...wow. The Reds are going to have the bottom fall out on their season beginning now. Griffey is going to be out for some time, Dunn and Casey are going to fall back to Earth. Milwaukee has been largely ignored, but they've done a great job. I love watching Podsednik steal bases because healmost NEVER gets caught. The Pirates get an A+ for effort.

NL West:
No way are the Padres out of it. In fact, I like the Padres a lot. With Nomo suddenly the worst pitcher in the majors, the Dodgers can't win with a rotation of Odalis Perez, Ishii, Weaver, et al. Shawn Green continues to struggle. The Dodgers need a starting pitcher worse than the Giants do. Speaking of the Giants, they're fielding one of the most ho-hum teams in their history. I STILL don't know who the every day SS is. Other than Snow, Bonds and Durham, the Giants hitters are a bunch of swing happy hacks who can't take a walk.

AL East:
Thanks for playing... TB is the big surprise. Credit to Carl Crawford for being a superstud. Otherwise it's all Yankees.

AL Central:
This is the hardest division to predict every single year. I'd still go with the Twins, but that is dependent on them picking up a decent starting pitcher very soon. The Sox are looking set... Cleveland is clearly overachieving and they'll be out of the race by August.

AL West:
With Chavez back, I think the As are going to squeak past the Rangers, whose pitchers have clearly overachieved. The Angels arent going to make it. They don't have Glaus, and somebody abducted the real Bartolo Colon.

Not a chance. He'll most likely be a Yankee.

Will Pittsburgh really get the Queen's jewels for a mediocre pitcher like Benson?

Probably not, and a few years ago they didn't ask for much when they dealt Schmidt...

He'll be gone as soon as the season is over. So will Garciaparra.

Home Run Derby. I'd say Thome or Bonds, but the park is really set up for right handed hitters. The only righties in the contest are Tejada and Sosa.

SKMDC
2004-07-12, 19:23
Dusty Baker seems to fill out the line-up card with his butt-cheeks.
If he puts Ordenez (on a tear, he's raised his avg. from .153 to .172) in the two hole one more time I'm gonna puke.

The Cubs need a lead-off hitter, they have never won when the haven't had a good man at lead-off. look it up: 84 - Dernier 89 - Jerome Walton (rookie of the year) last Grudzielanek did the job so-so, but when they acquired Lofton they bloomed.

Also, time to either shit or get off the pot, is Farnsworth the closer or not?
How long is this project going to take? This is his sixth season for god's sake.

One more thing, I just realized why i don't watch the home run derby......Chris Berman, jeez how many Bob Seger or Bruce Springsteen lyrics will he manage to get in tonight? I can see not getting a haircut since Berman is an established fat greasy pig, but could a production assistant tie him down and at least comb it for heaven's sake?
What a blowhard, and flat out bad broadcaster.

Eugene
2004-07-12, 19:50
Oh man, forget Bonds and Thome. One of the righties is going to win the Derby. Minute maid = Juice Box indeed. Berkman put on a pretty good show from his weaker side. He did look pretty tired by the 10th out though.

HOM
2004-07-12, 21:53
NL East:
The Mets are NOT contenders. I'm betting Hidalgo, Cameron and Floyd disappear down the stretch.

Well, there is nowhere Cameron can go, but up. He has been by far the biggest disappointment in my eyes this season. I'm not concerned that the bats are going to fall asleep. It's the pitching that really concerns me.

Not a chance. He'll most likely be a Yankee.

Probably not, and a few years ago they didn't ask for much when they dealt Schmidt...

He'll be gone as soon as the season is over. So will Garciaparra.

I actually don't think that the Unit is going to the Bronch's. Their farm system is completely devoid of talent. Money can buy you a lot of things, but Arizona is not hurting for cash and the need some young talent. The Skanks have nothing to offer in that arena.

As for Benson, the NYC media is convinced that he's going to the Metropolitans for Wiggington and two non-Scott Kazmir pitching prospect. I just think that teams are desperate enough to give the Pirates Grade A prospects for a pitcher with a career ERA above 4.50.

I know Lowe is going to be gone at the end of the season, but there are some mumblings coming out of Florida that he's heading to the Marlins. With the Sox completely out of it, I don't see why they wouldn't trade Lowe for a few prospects.

Eugene
2004-07-12, 22:06
Heh, I bet Tejada wants to be an Astro now. Minute Maid is a joke, though Citizen's Bank Park may give it a run for its money.

InactionMan
2004-07-13, 15:32
I'm not watching baseball till the Jays trade Carlos Delgado. Worthless piece of crap. I love baseball, but somehow the Jays complete suckiness has made it impossible for me to care.

HOM
2004-07-13, 20:02
This is a great All Star Game. Clemens just game up another homer in the first inning. There are few joys such as watching Roger Clemens get spanked. I'm sure Piazza is loving every moment of this.

Well, here's to Clemens having a career ending injury.

InactionMan
2004-07-13, 21:35
I think Piazza pulled a Crash Davis on Clemens.

Crash Davis: Well, he really hit the shit outta that one, didn't he?
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: I held it like an egg.
Crash Davis: Yeah, and he scrambled the son of a bitch. Look at that, he hit the fucking bull! Guy gets a free steak!
Crash Davis: You having fun yet?
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Oh, yeah. Havin' a blast.
Crash Davis: Good.
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: God, that sucker teed off on that like he knew I was gonna throw a fastball!
Crash Davis: He did know.
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: How?
Crash Davis: I told him.

I love it when Clemens sucks. :)

Eugene
2004-07-13, 22:18
I don't think Piazza had anything to do with it. Clemens was shaking off every thing Piazza called. He'd call an outside fastball three times in a row, but Clemens kept going back to his slider...and hung it every single time.

SKMDC
2004-07-13, 22:42
i think clemens has become aware of how old he is the last few weeks, will he even hit 15 wins this year? i mean he got #9 a month ago.

but i've written him off so many times before.

Eugene
2004-07-13, 23:08
Who should have started? Jason Schmidt! Ooh yeah...

SKMDC
2004-07-13, 23:27
Who should have started? Jason Schmidt! Ooh yeah...

yeah. but he pitched sunday, right?

Eugene
2004-07-14, 03:56
yeah. but he pitched sunday, right?
Yes, but that was after the fact. Had Schmidt been announced the starter earlier in the week, I bet Alou would have accomodated the decision by McKeon.

HOM
2004-07-14, 09:56
There was no way that Roger Clemens was gong to do anything, but start the All Star Game. He did have a dominating first month and a half of the season. The game was in his home park, in his home state. He was going to start the game even if he had a shitty year.

Did anyone else vomit during the on field ceremonies honoring Clemens?

If Selig wants people to watch because 'now it counts' then he has to stop treating it like an exhibition game. Only the best players play. No substations for the hell of it. And all ceremonies take place before or after the game.

Well, I can't wait for Thursday when the season picks up again.

HOM
2004-07-14, 10:42
Why I hate the greatest pitcher of all time. (http://slate.msn.com/id/2103760/)

It's a great rant about Clemens.

A little taste from the article:
I'd like to add that it's not just me. Nobody likes you. It's just a matter of degree—of how much we hate you. Personally, I measure my hate in terms of how severely I want you to be injured. Like, I guess I wouldn't want to see you crippled for life, so you couldn't walk anymore. But I really wouldn't mind if you pulled your groin and missed five starts. That's the over-under on my hate.