PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide.....

Back2Mac
2006-01-30, 20:19
OK as my username implies, I am in the middle of coming home to Mac, where I started. My main computer right now is a Gateway 305 laptop. It's only 2 years old and constantly freezes, crashes and has convinced me to make the move. My new employer is all Mac. They gave me and old 2nd Generation G3 iMac to take home and goof around on. It's the company's computer and is almost as slow as my gateway. I'm really torn what to do.
I have a laptop, which has hardly ever left my home. Possibly because it's not wifi ready and i've never been able to get it to work. I do however like to be able to work in bed, kitchen or in my recliner. I've debated an iMac basically to turn it into a media center in my bedroom, complete with eyetv for DVR. However, I've heard very mixed reviews of this product. So I may just get a regular DVR and be done with it. My main uses for the computer are internet, word processing, some spreadsheets for work, and watching movies in a hotel when i travel. Seeing all the cool features with iLife '06, I really think I'd love to do some very basic video editing stuff. I got excited about the Macbook pro, but wonder about battery life and will it run just as hot as my POS gateway that it burns my lap.

FFL
2006-01-30, 20:31
It sounds like you might want to wait untel the MacBook Pro has been shipping for 30 days or so. We've learned a lot about the real-world performance of the Intel iMacs since they started shipping, and I'm sure the same will be true with the new notebooks.

NosferaDrew
2006-01-30, 20:57
I agree with FFL.
The MacBook Pro sounds like it'll suit your needs.

And I use EyeTV 200 every day on my G5 and really love it.
If there's anything you need to know about it, I'll answer any questions you have.

In a month or so I'll also be able to answer any questions about the MacBook Pro too since hopefully by then my order will be fulfilled. :)

tacvbo83
2006-01-30, 21:29
Excuse my ignorance, but what is EyeTV?

FFL
2006-01-30, 21:48
Excuse my ignorance, but what is EyeTV?
remember - search is your friend!
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=12964&highlight=eyetv

Franz Josef
2006-01-31, 03:32
Excuse my ignorance, but what is EyeTV?It's simply the only way to watch TV. More details here > www.elgato.com

Back2Mac
2006-01-31, 06:46
I've been on their website a lot. I really would love to hear from more people who have it. In the Feb. Macworld they hook it up to a G5 and say it gets a lot of streaking and banding when you make the image full screen. If anyone here has experience with this, could you drop me a pm or post here?

Franz Josef
2006-01-31, 07:47
We use EyeTV DTT regularly on a PowerBook 15" 1MB RAM, 1.67Ghz. The DTT model is a small digital receiver for capturing free to air digital TV, as such it isn't very processor intensive. Our experience has been flawless - full screen works very well indeed, the Elgato software UI is good. CPU usage varies a bit but 10-15% or so seems common. If you're using a more processor intensive model you may want to make sure your RAM buffer is set to high and to close other apps.

We're seriously considering buying an Intel iMac / MacBook pro with a large LCD to use with one of the Elgato tuners as a fully fledged digital hub, depending on whether Apple manage to release their own PVR etc this year as is rumored. Personally I think Elgato are a very exciting outfit and I've found them to be helpful - if you've got questions suggest you just drop them a mail.