PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Memory Advice

Mac Donald
2006-01-31, 17:19
On the day the MB Pro was announced, I ordered it configured with 2 X 512 MB of memory and 5400 RPM 100 gig hard drive. Thinking about it some more, would it make sense from a cost perspective to stick with 1 512 stick and then buy an aftermarket 1 gig stick to put in the other slot?

That way I can justify getting the 7200 RPM drive.:) :)

Franz Josef
2006-01-31, 17:25
Have a look at Crucial RAM. Certainly I'd prefer a 7,200 RPM 100GB harddrive and 1.5 GB RAM than a slower drive and less RAM.

chucker
2006-01-31, 17:25
You can only do that with the smaller MBP configuration; the bigger one is 1 GB minimum.

So, if you have the smaller one: yes, it would be a good idea. Keep in mind, though, that this change will move your shipping date back, probably to late March.

Mac Donald
2006-01-31, 18:14
Keep in mind, though, that this change will move your shipping date back, probably to late March.You sure about that????:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: If so, not doing it. Won't even chance calling and inquiring. I want my MBP on Feb. 15 -- worth it to me to take the slower drive for the extra few weeks.

Brave Ulysses
2006-01-31, 18:38
I read on another board that Fry's/Outpost had 1GB Mushkin ram for $99.

Seem's like a good deal if you have a Fry's near you, unfortunately I don't.

chucker
2006-02-01, 02:25
You sure about that?

Pretty sure.

I want my MBP on Feb. 15 -- worth it to me to take the slower drive for the extra few weeks.

Have you checked your order status lately? Are you sure it's still shipping Feb 15?

dngonzales
2006-02-01, 14:33
i aggree with franz
the 7200 drive would be my top and most major decision. first of all its only like what, $90 something dollars, it would cost you more in the long run to try to add in this option, and void warranty.

now to the memory, the macbook can only take advantage of dual channel memory if it has 2 equal amounts of ram so ........
you could get two 512s and enjoy the faster speed coupled w/7200
or run on 1 gig (single stick) now and enjoy it maxed out later.

Personally i dont see why every one doesent get the 7200, its one of the most crucial parts of the system.
memory can be changed and swapped more easily than a hard drive

so what you gotta wait a couple more days, what you get is what you are stuck with so you make the call

Brave Ulysses
2006-02-01, 14:45
i aggree with franz
the 7200 drive would be my top and most major decision. first of all its only like what, $90 something dollars, it would cost you more in the long run to try to add in this option, and void warranty.

now to the memory, the macbook can only take advantage of dual channel memory if it has 2 equal amounts of ram so ........
you could get two 512s and enjoy the faster speed coupled w/7200
or run on 1 gig (single stick) now and enjoy it maxed out later.

Personally i dont see why every one doesent get the 7200, its one of the most crucial parts of the system.
memory can be changed and swapped more easily than a hard drive

so what you gotta wait a couple more days, what you get is what you are stuck with so you make the call

the difference between 7200RPM and 5400RPM on the laptop is not a dealbreaker for most people. More ram will help a hell of a lot more than the extra RPMs.

Mac Donald
2006-02-01, 14:47
Have you checked your order status lately? Are you sure it's still shipping Feb 15?

Yeah, I check every day. It arrives Feb. 21, which sucks because I ordered 2day shipping, and the weekend interferes with it, and bumps it to the 21st.

Do you know of anyone whose date has been bumped? I see that one guy has said he has a shipping date earlier than the 15th, but I don't see how -- I ordered mine within minutes of the keynote. ;) I know, I know, that's a little crazy, but I have been waiting on buying since November, and just pulled back from buying a PB G4 then because of the screen issues which I then couldn't even notice anyway, and then decided to hold out for the intels.

Mac Donald
2006-02-01, 15:01
inow to the memory, the macbook can only take advantage of dual channel memory if it has 2 equal amounts of ram so ........

Is that right?

I don't recall that being the case with PB's -- I thought you could have 1 gig in one slot and 512 in another, for a total of 1.5 gigs. . . . I could be wrong however.

dngonzales
2006-02-01, 15:13
yeah it is
straight from the horse's mouth
scroll down to page 14

http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/pdf/20060120_MacBookPro_TO.pdf

Brave Ulysses
2006-02-01, 16:12
Is that right?

I don't recall that being the case with PB's -- I thought you could have 1 gig in one slot and 512 in another, for a total of 1.5 gigs. . . . I could be wrong however.

you still can, it just won't be "dual channel". In real world performance I think you would be very hard pressed to see a difference.

m4hl3r
2006-02-02, 14:10
Hello.

I know this is slightly off tropic, but I hope it's ok :)

I'm going to order a MacBook 1.83 soon - not quite sure when. I've know that Apple is crazy when it comes to RAM prices, so I'm going to "settle" with a MacBook 1.83 with the 100 GB 7200 HD, AC and 1 GB ram (1 stick รก 1 GB). And go buy 1 GB Ram from a 3-party.

I've done a little reseach, and found
www.memorytogo.com

They want $106 for 1 x 1 GB stick to a MacBook 1.83.
(btw, all memory from w3.memorytogo.com, comes with a lifetime warrenty - isen't that rather good?)

Can anyone of you, recommend a good place to buy from ? (please add cons, pros etc. :))

Thanks.

M4hl3r

Brave Ulysses
2006-02-02, 14:17
Should work out fine, it's a lifetime warranty, if it doesn't work, just swap it for another one.

Buying from high priced places such as Crucial is highly overrated in my opinion.