PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials on Cocoa Frameworks

kate
2006-02-01, 00:31
Hi,

Iam new to Cocoa and frameworks.

1. Can any one plz send the website address for "tutorials on Cocoa frameworks" . I searched in google , but couldnt get the best result.
Can anyone suggest me a good site on this.

I read frameworks in "Aaron Hillegass" book ,but i need more information regarding frameworks.

2. I don't think this is good question, but..
How to add nib file to a framework?
i.e by default when a framework is created we dont get a nib file.
Is the nib file created seperately in interface builder and added to the Framework?

Thank You.

scratt
2006-02-01, 05:16
Hi Kate,

Welcome to AppleNova...

Really all of this is in the Apple Developer Connection and the Xcode documentation.. Well that's where I learned about it...

I even seem to remember some cool stuff about how to structure application bundles..

See how you go with ADC, and then come back here if that's no good. I know of a few Quicktime movies on some sites which actually run through some similar processes using Xcode, so you can follow along..

pmazer
2006-02-01, 10:02
I'm just wondering why you think you need a nib file in a framework. As far as I know, most frameworks don't involve themselves with GUIs. Do you have a correct understanding of application vs framework?

Mr Beardsley
2006-02-01, 14:08
Pmazer is correct that frameworks don't have a GUI. A framework is a chunk of code that you need to reuse in several places so rather than copy the source code and compile it everytime, you just create a framework that your application can link to. Cocoa is a framework because every application needs to have objects, arrays, buttons, and so on. It would suck royally to have to compile all of Cocoa everytime you built your app.

kate
2006-02-02, 06:39
Thank you for your opinion.
I was given an application, which had frameworks.
The frameworks consisted of Nib files.
The Nib files were present in XYZ.framework > Resources > English.lproj
So, I thought that Nib files are added to framework from Interface builder.

Enki
2006-02-02, 11:08
Well, you see it can be done, but as the previous folks have said it's normally extremely poor programming style to do so. It may be the example you have is the exception to this rule, or it could just have been done stupidly.

For just a little background as to whetherr you even NEED frameworks at all take a read from wil: http://wilshipley.com/blog/2005/11/frameworks-are-teh-suck-err.html (http://wilshipley.com/blog/2005_11_01_archive.html)