PDA

View Full Version : General Error (34)??

Nitemeister
2004-08-11, 21:45
Ok, i've been using FCP 4.5 and been editing along nice.. every now and then when i try and use a clip and input it onto the timeline, it gives me that error.. no problem cuz when i just slide along diff video levels, it lets me sooner or later import it into the timeline.. now here's the big one.. i've been editing on low quality and now i'm changing it all to high res in order to render.. cept when i render.. it renders for like 10 secs, quits and then gives me this stupid General Error (34) msg... HALP! wtf does it mean??? it's never done it before.. why now?? pls help!

p.s ok this is where it get's weird.. so i rendered everything else like just clip by clip basically, but there's a part in my timeline at about the 30 second mark where even tho there's no clip, the previous clip that was there STILL PLAYS!! it's like.. there's nothing on the timeline (and i've checked up and down everywhere) and yet a clip plays!! argh!! driving me nuts!

and yes i've trashed all the preferences and all that stuff and i still get this stupid msg and that weird ghost clip!

alcimedes
2004-08-11, 22:13
Generally, I have found that general error 34 has something to do with the external drive devices (fireware drives).

If you disconnect.all 1394 devices, and record to your internal drive, do you experience the same problems?

Are you using two firewire ports at the same time by chance? If so, only use one port at a time, and loop all of your other devices.

Replace your firewire cables, and verify the connections are good. I have also run into problems when mixing different brands of firewire cables.

i'd start there. Google is your friend.

or Quit FCP. Trash your preference and POA cache files. Restart FCP. Allow it to pick it's own settings. Quit FCP, restart FCP, and then set things the way you want them.

Io settings can wreak havoc with FCP settings when you're flipping them around a lot. Our best solution has been the above procedure, which seems to establish a good setting foundation. Clears things up every time.

although both sound semi related.