PDA

View Full Version : is Rosetta any good?

kungfuelmosan
2006-02-02, 01:31
Im thinking of buying a MacBook Pro as a desktop replacement for my powermac as it is unfortunately, undoubtebly faster - :o - i generally use my powermac for maya and a bit of FCP but its only a 1.8GHZ with 2g ram so its not gutzy enough - ive heard that rosetta only has to translate a program once to work on intel macs so does this work for all apps - eg Maya which isnt intel yet - or would it be better for me to get a dual 2GHZ g5 powermac?

Banana
2006-02-02, 01:42
Erm, I don't think rosetta cuts it for FCP and Maya at all.

You'll have to wait for a universal binary to come out... There was some noise saying FCP for intel may be available in spring- dunno about Maya.

Zorn
2006-02-02, 01:42
Well things running under Rosetta are going to be slower than PowerPC, but from most reports they aren't terribly bad. If you are COMPLETELY unable/unwilling to put up with a performance drop that is very temporary until the Universal release comes out, don't buy a Mactel now. But if you can put up with it for a little while, by all means get the newest technology.

canyon_Carver
2006-02-02, 13:20
My 20" Imac Duo runs C4DXL fine-- even renders with both processors-- I have a more detailed review in the apple products board "My review of 20" Imac DuoCore"

I would assume that Maya would run fine in Rosetta, it may be a bit slow...but thats what you expect.