PDA

View Full Version : buying from amazon.com

j. smith
2006-02-03, 19:23
Just purchased a powermac dual core from amazon. Then it dawned on me that it could have earlier software versions. I had assumed it was the same as the current line at the apple store. re-checking didn't provide answers. the description of all the software omits the version, ie; OS X. Does anyone know if they ship with the latest. Amazon's customer support wasn't able to help. Thanks in advance!

chucker
2006-02-03, 19:32
You can usually trade in software for newer versions from Apple for a small fee of like $20.

j. smith
2006-02-03, 19:38
$20 per software item, or $20 for all items that aren't up to date?

chucker
2006-02-03, 20:03
Per item. What makes you think the software's all gonna be outdated, though?

j. smith
2006-02-04, 16:19
I know Ilife 06 was just added (and apple was giving updates for Ilife 5 until all their inventory was up to date). I didn't know if any other software had been added since Jan 10, and if amazon's inventory had all the latest updates. Thanks for the reply, Chucker.

Sony
2006-02-10, 04:20
With amazon you get free shipping, no tax, and instead of a 14 day return policy you have 30 days. Amazon is definetly a better deal, Oh Amazon also gives you a $150 rebate. thats like $500 difference.

fotomaker
2006-02-16, 16:58
Has anyone else recently purchased one from Amazon? What was your experience?

I was thinking purchasing the iMac from Amazon because the girl that I talked with at the Apple store isn't there today, neither was she there yesterday and they are not allowed to give out her schedule. What if she isn't working there any longer and I'm just waiting longer and longer . . . I'll never get this computer. But, I don't want to deal with older software, etc.

Also, a reason that has me wanting to purchase from the Apple store is the Pro Care . . . for $99 you can go in an get help with your computer. Anyone have any experience with that?

Luca
2006-02-16, 17:14
It does come with a warranty, you know. $99 for Pro Care seems a bit overpriced when all you really get is priority help at the Genius Bar. You can always call in for phone support (in the first 90 days, or three years if you buy AppleCare), and it's not like they'll turn you away from the Genius Bar.

fotomaker
2006-02-17, 13:43
It does come with a warranty, you know. $99 for Pro Care seems a bit overpriced when all you really get is priority help at the Genius Bar. You can always call in for phone support (in the first 90 days, or three years if you buy AppleCare), and it's not like they'll turn you away from the Genius Bar.

Can anyone go to the Genius Bar at the Apple store? How does that work?

I thought Apple Care was just for troubleshooting problems . . . I never used mine before for anything else except when I had problems. . . never to learn how to operate software.

I just called the Apple store again and they won't give out any schedule information. . . she hasn't been there all week. I want to get my computer now! I've put it off too long. But I want all updated software and not have to deal with that, which may be the case with Amazon.

Luca
2006-02-17, 14:04
Let me break down my own understanding of how all these things work. The Genius Bar is just the part of every Apple Store where you can ask for help with stuff. You don't have to be a customer or have a valid warranty to ask. But if you buy Pro Care, you can schedule Genius Bar appointments and get other services. Apple Care is an extension to the already-included warranty and phone support. The warranty covers non-accidental hardware failures for one year; buy Apple Care and it becomes three years. Phone support means you can call in and ask tech support questions. Standard phone support lasts for 90 days; buy Apple Care and it becomes three years again. But you can always ask for support at the Genius Bar itself even if you don't have Apple Care or Pro Care.

fotomaker
2006-02-17, 14:28
Let me break down my own understanding of how all these things work. The Genius Bar is just the part of every Apple Store where you can ask for help with stuff. You don't have to be a customer or have a valid warranty to ask. But if you buy Pro Care, you can schedule Genius Bar appointments and get other services. Apple Care is an extension to the already-included warranty and phone support. The warranty covers non-accidental hardware failures for one year; buy Apple Care and it becomes three years. Phone support means you can call in and ask tech support questions. Standard phone support lasts for 90 days; buy Apple Care and it becomes three years again. But you can always ask for support at the Genius Bar itself even if you don't have Apple Care or Pro Care.

Thanks! ~ Actually, I'm getting ready to go to the Apple store now. I did see that they offer classes at the stores. Anyone take advantage of them?

If I choose not to purchase Pro Care today, am I able to get it at a later date? I don't want to be pressured into getting it today if I don't really need it.

I wanted to give the girl that was helping me a couple of weeks ago my sale, but if she not there, then the first person that waits on me will get it. The store makes it so secretive as to their work schedule. . . . I could be waiting until next week. . . or longer!!!

j. smith
2006-02-17, 19:43
I had a very easy time dealing with amazon. Not only did they send out a new computer overnight when my first one went "missing" at the UPS warehouse, they also give great rebates and no taxes if you live in CA. My G5 2.0 dc cost $1799 out the door after the rebate. The only downside is you can't order hardware updates like those offered at the online apple store. But, my first purchase at amazon will definitely have me considering more purchases from there. Also, phone support, via their instant callback online, is very quick and friendly.

usurp
2006-02-18, 02:33
i purchased 1 ibook and 3 powerbooks so far from Amazon. They always have good deals and they usually have the latest software on them since they sell a lot of Macs and so their inventory is usually always being restocked.

k squared
2006-02-18, 13:35
I wanted to give the girl that was helping me a couple of weeks ago my sale, but if she not there, then the first person that waits on me will get it. The store makes it so secretive as to their work schedule. . . . I could be waiting until next week. . . or longer!!!

I wouldn't want my schedule given out to a stranger -- especially if I am a girl -- would you? I understand you just want her to have the commission from the sale, but take a step back and think about it.

Back on topic: I believe you have until the last day of your initial warranty period to buy AppleCare. Apple will even send you a friendly email reminder. And the Genius Bar is open for anyone with an Apple hardware related problem. If there are a couple customers hanging around just be sure to make a reservation on one of the store computers -- that screws all the people coming in thinking that their problem is more important than yours and also allows you to browse the store instead of waiting in line.

j. smith
2006-02-18, 18:23
i purchased 1 ibook and 3 powerbooks so far from Amazon. They always have good deals and they usually have the latest software on them since they sell a lot of Macs and so their inventory is usually always being restocked.

i guess it all depends on what product you buy. my powermac i received yesterday shipped with ilife5. this computer, i found out, had been in amazon's inventory since november. but, it's of no consequence since the hardware that's shipping out of apple is identical to this model(2.0 dc). i checked. as far as ilife, there's a $10 upgrade fee for ilife 6. apple tech support has been very helpful with my purchase.