PDA

View Full Version : Windows Emulator

Straylight
2006-02-06, 22:41
I know that the powerbook has virtual PC..

but will the macbook pro also have a windows emulator w/o me having to wait til windows vista to come out (or something like that)?

Brad
2006-02-06, 22:48
The PowerBook does not come with Virtual PC. It never has.

There are emulator-like solutions based on WINE that are almost ready for deployment. Give them a few months and I'm sure you'll see several spring up. OpenOSX.com already has an implementation for sale (correction: it's not WINE-based, but it does run on Intel), but I generally steer users away from buying OpenOSX's products.

torifile
2006-02-06, 22:49
Well, MS has said they're going to update VPC to run on the Intel Macs, but they haven't given a timeframe. So, you'll have to wait for SOMEthing to come out. As of now, there's no solution to run Windows on the new macs. :\

tacvbo83
2006-02-06, 22:49
I have the same dilema since I am about to order my macbook pro in a couple of weeks. I know microsoft will probably issue universal office in the next month or so. But VPC, they have not said anything about that. I think they are just waiting to release VPC with Vista at the end of the year. Why do anymore work on VPC XP universal for mac since they are already coming out with a new OS.

FFL
2006-02-06, 23:16
I think they are just waiting to release VPC with Vista at the end of the year. Why do anymore work on VPC XP universal for mac since they are already coming out with a new OS.That's an interesting theory. However, I'm not sure if it really applies here.

VPC emulates an x86 chipset, not an OS. In fact, one of the touted benefits of both the Mac and the PC versions of VirtualPC is the ability to run multiple OSes.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
for more on the Windows version.