PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB, 14"iBook, or wait for intel for video editing?

appledummy
2006-02-12, 00:32
Well, I've been thinking about making the switch for about 6 months now. I was going to buy a 14" iBook last fall but read about intel switch and decided to wait. Unfortunately the MacBook Pro is way out of my price range.
-I'm looking to spend as close to $1000 as possible. (but realize i'll be around $1200-$1300)
-I'm mainly going to use the machine for internet, email and editing short entry level footage from a SONY TRV33 Mini-DV camera via iMovie.
-A few months from now I'd like to run FCE.

My question is: Should I buy a 12" PB for $1250 on Amazon? Should I buy an iBook on Amazon? Or should I wait for the iMacBook :p ?

I've been reading alot of posts on here and if the new iMacBook/iBook is going to be single core and comparable to a Celeron chip I assume I'd be better off with the 12" G4 PB.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

PB PM
2006-02-12, 02:53
You might as well wait for the Intel ibook (Macbook?). It will be a lot faster than even the current 12" Powerbook, which is hardly faster than the 12" ibook in any case. The Macbook (ibook) is likely to have a Core Solo (single core verson of the current Core Duo), not a Celeron by any means. I think Apple would lose a lot of buyers if they stuck one of those junky chips into one of their products.

The G4s are old technology and have slow bus speeds (167Mhz max) vs. 500-677Mhz which is likely to be on the new Macbook (ibook). Older slower RAM, and the 12" Powerbook has an extermal old graphics chip.

Beed
2006-02-12, 04:12
I just got a refurb 14" ibook from the apple store and I love it my total was with tax 1136.50 and then I spent 100$ on a 1gb ram to bring my ibook to 1.5 ram and its running smooth but if this computer not for you I would still check the apple store for their refurb PB and ibooks they're as good as new

Franz Josef
2006-02-12, 06:20
Assuming you can afford to be slightly elastic with your timelines, wait for the new Intel iBook / MacBook. With native apps, it will almost certainly run much faster than the 12" PB / 14" iBook. As PB PM says above, it's not just a new CPU under the hood; there are a lot of improvements (bus speeds / RAM) in the new machines which make them attractive.

And BTW, welcome to AppleNova.

appledummy
2006-02-12, 18:21
Thanks for the replies. Consensus seems to be wait for intel iBook. I will try. But when that is released people will probably tell me to wait for Rev B. I don't think I can wait until the fall.
Regardless, I do appreciate the advice...