PDA

View Full Version : Buy Woodcrest MacPro or Clovertown?

CineAlta
2006-02-13, 16:11
Hey guys,

I'm planning on purchasing a new Woodcrest (dual-core) MacPro in the Fall, for video-editing with FCP 6, but am wondering whether to wait an additional 6 mos (early 2007) for a quad-core Clovertown MacPro?

Does anyone have any guidance for me, on which would be the best path? Has anyone heard any updates on release dates etc? Thanks for your advice!

Robo
2006-02-13, 16:31
Er, first of all, I'd like to point out that as far as we know, the Power Mac replacement could be using Conroe.

That said, if the "Mac Pro" does use Woodcrest, one of the reasons would be to allow two dual-core processors. You could effectively have four cores without waiting for Apple to use Clovertown.

But it's really too early to tell. Buy a computer when you need it.

chucker
2006-02-13, 16:32
Umm, it's pretty pointless to give "guidance" since you are basing your post on four highly-speculative items:
1) that there will be a "Mac Pro" that replaces the PowerMac this year
2) that there will be a Final Cut Pro 6 this year
3) that there will be a Woodcrest-based Mac Pro
4) that, later on, there will be a Clovertown-based Mac Pro

Now, all of the four are reasonable guesses and may very well turn out that way, but I don't believe it's any good to base such an expensive business decision on such vague terms. Ergo, it is near-impossible to provide advice.

Are you positive that the current PowerMac G5 Quad, or even a smaller model, won't suit your needs?

chucker
2006-02-13, 16:33
Eep, cross-post.

Er, first of all, I'd like to point out that as far as we know, the Power Mac replacement could be using Conroe.

That said, if the "Mac Pro" does use Woodcrest, one of the reasons would be to allow two dual-core processors. You could effectively have four cores without waiting for Apple to use Clovertown.

Very true.

psmith2.0
2006-02-13, 16:36
Jeez-louise, that's so far off. :confused:

I mean, Woodcrest-based Macs aren't even anywhere near existence (and no guarantee they will exist, we can only assume and speculate), and we're supposed to know enough to compare them to something even further out than that (Clovertown)?!?

:D

Here's an idea: buy a 20" iMac Core Duo and quit worrying about 6-12 (or more) months down the road. Revisit all this "Woodcrest vs. Clovertown" stuff, if you must, in mid-2007, when the stuff a) actually exists, b) has actually existed for some time so accurate, well-informed assessments can be made and c) the products actually exist to buy.

;)

Seriously, it's such a vague, far-off notion...so many factors and variables we can't possibly know about, about both Apple AND you (your usage, demands/expectations, budget, patience, etc.

Edna Crabtree
2006-02-13, 22:27
Clovertown? This wouldn't have anything to do with..., nah!

http://www.clovertown.com /:p