PDA

View Full Version : RAM for Quad - 2GB or 4GB?

badgerbadger
2006-02-14, 17:00
I was wondering if I will notice a significant difference between 2GB and 4GB.
I need to upgrade the pathetic 512 to at least 2GB. But I also heard that it's good to
have a gig for each processor.
I the computer for FCP editing and general tasks.
So, 2 or 4 - and why.

Thanks!

Brad
2006-02-14, 18:11
You might notice a moderate performance increase when you're working with a gig or two of video files at a time. For general tasks, though, I doubt you'll notice any difference over the 2 GB amount unless you are running a lot of applications.

Red Scare
2006-02-15, 10:35
I'm using the Quad with 2.5GB of RAM for audio and running mix sessions with 20+ tracks, 6 stereo returns, 50 plugins, rendering the mix while surfing the web, chatting, and building a website, I've usually got about 800MB of RAM idle along with 25-30% of my processor unused as well.

I'm not too sure how much audio differs from video in RAM usage, so this might not be the best comparison for you, but I'd say that you'd want at least 2GB just to ensure the headroom, but more than 2.5GB and it's probably just all overkill.

I got a good deal on my RAM through NewEgg pqi with heat spreaders for about $85/GB.

Mr Ten
2006-02-18, 15:12
i had the dual 2 with 2.5 gb and only use it for still graphics and editing but tend to have lots of applications and files open. RARELY did i experience a lag, not enough to be disappointed at all, but enough to where the thought of buying more stuff for my mac sounded fun... i now have 4.5 gb ram and easily have 2gb to spare when maxed out.

like red said, anything above 2.5gb is overkill but to me, whatever to a few hundred bucks. :)