PDA

View Full Version : When will the MacBook Pro be available in stores?

davidfalling
2006-02-17, 15:40
Okay, so i am just wondering when the macbook pro will be available in the apple stores? and when they are available is it going to be easy to go about getting the exact upgrades that i want? (i.e. 2gb ram, and 7200 rpm hd) Basically will this be better than ordering from the online apple store? (which right now says the estimated ship is 3-4 WEEKS!)
If possible i would like to just go down to the store and pick it up because i need this computer urgently for a project i am doing using logic pro.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :|

Luca
2006-02-17, 15:43
You can't get most BTO options in stores. Sometimes they have a few pre-built "Ultimate" configuration machines, with the highest of every available option, but I wouldn't even count on that. You'll probably just have to stick with one of the base models.

If they do have an Ultimate configuration, it'll probably look like this:

2.16 GHz Core Duo
2 GB RAM
100 GB 7200 RPM hard drive (or maybe the 120 GB 5400 RPM one)
$3199

FWIW, I don't think any of the BTO options on the MacBook Pro are very good deals. The extra RAM and hard drive space is overpriced and can be bought from third parties instead (though you cannot easily upgrade the internal hard drive as you can with the RAM; if you need more storage you must buy an external hard drive). And the 2.16 GHz processor upgrade is too expensive to be worth it as well. I even see the $2499 configuration as a pretty bad deal.

But yeah, if you want BTO, you have to buy from Apple online.

davidfalling
2006-02-17, 19:25
Okay, so if i did want to go to the apple store to buy instead of ordering online and waiting, how long do you think it will be until they are actually available in the stores??

Brad
2006-02-17, 23:39
They should be available now or very soon. Simply call you local Apple Store on the phone and ask if they have any in stock or when they expect to receive some.

billybobsky
2006-02-18, 00:49
They should be available now or very soon. Simply call you local Apple Store on the phone and ask if they have any in stock or when they expect to receive some.
As opposed to calling them on a bullhorn?

scratt
2006-02-18, 00:52
Yeah.. And when on the bullhorn use more descriptive information in your phone conversation than you did when you put the title for this thread together.. :p

Brad
2006-02-18, 01:08
As opposed to calling them on a bullhorn?
I've seen crazier!

davidfalling
2006-02-18, 13:29
Haha... actually we dont have a phone, we only have a bullhorn, so that actually works out. ;)

Oh yeah and scratt, the idea of using non descriptive information in the title was so that you would wonder what its about and look. Thought it might work. :\

But thanks for your help guys, im just gonna go down there today (or use the bullhorn:lol:) and find out. The reason i didnt do that in the first place was because last time i went there the person there seemed to be clueless. They kept talking about G5's in powerbooks, and i was like "NO! MAC-BOOK PRO... with INTEL!" but he just didnt get it. :no: Musta been a nooB.

Brad
2006-02-18, 15:07
Oh yeah and scratt, the idea of using non descriptive information in the title was so that you would wonder what its about and look. Thought it might work. :\
I figured as much; please don't do that again. From our Posting Guidelines (http://forums.applenova.com/guidelines.html):
Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." or "Help!" and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Do not give threads misleading titles in an attempt to gain more views. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums.

davidfalling
2006-02-18, 18:26
okay, no prob. thanks for the help.