PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a Philnote at Paris, guys...

psmith2.0
2004-08-16, 09:14
And a heavy sigh was heard across the land... (http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/16/schiller).

:)

I suppose an iMac would still be a go, huh? I mean Phil's no Steve, but they HAVE to get this thing unveiled, right? In any case, I think he should wear the jeans/black shirt thing in tribute.

:D

This might be interesting. Of course, I could see them tapping into iChat/iSight to allow a "special appeance" by Steve, where maybe he can have a role in the unveiling?

Luca
2004-08-16, 09:24
i think he should come out and eat a donut and then get his smile surgically implanted on his face like he has always done in the past

psmith2.0
2004-08-16, 09:44
Hmm, yeah...I missed that one. :err:

Messiahtosh
2004-08-16, 09:49
I think he'll do a fine job as the keynote speaker.

Luca
2004-08-16, 09:51
Sorry, I just really, really dislike Phil. Every time I've seen him make an appearance at a stevenote, he seems like a total phony. He lacks charisma and is the one ultimately in charge of what you deem to be a major problem with Apple, pscates (that is, marketing). I dunno, I guess I'll still read the real-time updates at MacNN or Macminute or something, but I won't bother viewing the QuickTime stream.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-16, 10:04
Phil is one of Steve's handpicked executives and Phil just has a way about him that makes some people cringe or some people like him. I tend to actually like him because he's a fluid speaker and knows what he's talking about. The cadence he uses can be annoying, but again, I don't mind his car-salesman, "fake enthusiasm" approach.

dfiler
2004-08-16, 13:08
My take?

Phil is a total dork, pure and simple. ;)
Great guy... But no where near Steve's charisma.

psmith2.0
2004-08-16, 13:20
I know I'm biased on this, but you know who would do a good job with the keynote, probably MUCH better than Phil?

;)

This could've been Ms. Cleary's moment to shine...

Think about it: the male Mac-using population (and some females, I suppose), would've tuned in for this keynote like no other. Goodness knows I would!

:eek:

Do you get a goofy schlub most Mac users ridicule in some way, OR a fetching cutie-pie with an infectious smile and boatloads of enthusiasm?

Apple blew it...this could've been the best keynote EVER!

;)

ast3r3x
2004-08-16, 13:29
I remember when she first appeared in that iSight video or whatever, she was called the female jobs. Good looking, and similar enthusiasm and charisma.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-16, 13:34
I remember when she first appeared in that iSight video or whatever, she was called the female jobs. Good looking, and similar enthusiasm and charisma.How true. :eek:

psmith2.0
2004-08-16, 13:50
See?!? Told you...

You know, we could start a "dump Phil, use Danika instead" campaign.

:lol:

MacUsers
2004-08-16, 15:15
ah hahaha... danika.
We might just see her... TS is talking about an iSight 2.

JohnHenry
2004-08-16, 22:25
I'm sorry but I like Phil a lot. Steve is a good speaker but his whole thing is "by the number". Not that its necessarily a bad thing, but when Phil is up there, it seems more natural with silly things he does during ichat with steve or whatnot. I'm not really bummed about no Stevenote

alcimedes
2004-08-16, 22:26
so is it safe to assume this is because of medical reasons that Steve isn't presenting?

Brad
2004-08-16, 22:30
so is it safe to assume this is because of medical reasons that Steve isn't presenting?
Nah. It could be that there's simply nothing new to present; so, they're sending good ol' Phil to waste some time, grinning like an idiot, and hype up how great Apple is doing.

;)

psmith2.0
2004-08-16, 22:33
I would imagine so. A month after such a surgery (and the implications of it all, and the rest and downtime required), I'm guessing his doctors weren't nuts about him flying halfway around the world, going full-tilt for a few days, etc.

And I agree. No sense pushing it or diving in before he's feeling 100% again.

I still think, however, he'll make an appearance via iSight/iChat, just to a) hype the "talk around the world" cool nature of it AND b) to just say a quick "hi guys, I'm fine...enjoy the show!" to everyone.

Showman that he is, I don't doubt this for a second... ;)

Steve, via iChat, will get a bigger ovation and response than Phil in person.

:D

Ouch!

windowsblowsass
2004-08-16, 23:18
hes goin to isight it from a hospital bed so theyll just draw the turtle neck on the camera lens with a marker

drewprops
2004-08-16, 23:30
Poor Phil has a reputation amongst Mac fans as the kid who will do anything to hang out with the cool kids. He'll do anything the cool kids tell him to....even jump off a ledge with an iBook, just to hang out with them.

Of course, the Mac fans would all do the same thing....

The reduction of overhyped product announcements over the last 16 months may indeed be followed by a growing panoply of Apple Wizards to host various annual events....reducing the dependence on Jobs at every event, yet maintaining his status as Legend. I think that a charismatic businesswoman would be wonderful for the company, someone with far more "cool factor" than Fiorina.

There will ultimately be "new" Richard Branson's and Steve Jobs' in the business world, Apple would indeed be wise to groom someone for that possible position.

But then I've been drinking a lot tonight.

naren
2004-08-17, 00:49
ah hahaha... danika.
We might just see her... TS is talking about an iSight 2.

She has an awesome, husky voice. :smokey:

alcimedes
2004-08-17, 00:56
from all those awsome, husky blunts.

ast3r3x
2004-08-17, 05:14
Maybe they decided there would be too many mac users enjoying the key note a little to much if they danika do it. Hell, a 30 second iSight video or whatever, had her personal information out on the internet and people talking about her for weeks.

psmith2.0
2004-08-17, 08:13
And the bad, downside to this is...?

Can one "enjoy something too much"? Wouldn't more viewership and attention be the good outcome?

Put aside the babe factor for a minute. She's just got a very casual, perky vibe to her which would probably make for a brisk, fun-to-watch keynote. And her enthusiasm for this stuff is obvious and doesn't feel pasted on or pumped up.

The cutie-pie aspect is merely iCing on the cake. If you gotta look at someone give a 90 minute presentation, they may as well be easy on the eyes.

:)

Eugene
2004-08-17, 08:17
Pasted... Heh.

psmith2.0
2004-08-17, 08:20
Don't you have a class to go to or something? :err: :p

Barto
2004-08-17, 08:48
Danikanote? That's setting the bar a little low. After all, her support base is growing:

http://homepage.mac.com/barto_act/linkage/danika_for_president.jpg

Looks like your fearless leader enjoys something easy on the eyes too. I wonder what Laura Bush has to say about this?

InactionMan
2004-08-17, 17:52
Who the hell is Danika Cleary!?! Seriously.

As far as the Philnote goes, I imagine you'll go through the usually nonsense about iTunes/iPod, another preview of Tiger, blah blah blah. Then he'll leave the stage and Steve Jobs will appear on the big screen via iSight 2 to do the One More Thing crap and announce the new iMac. All the Mac Faithful will spontaneously ejaculate and it will be pronounced the Greatest Keynote Ever.

ElMacintismo
2004-08-17, 17:57
LOL

I think Danika's position is head of iPod product and iChat/iSight teams.

stoo
2004-08-17, 17:59
No no no, half of the mac faithful will gripe about how cack the new iMac's specs are and how it hasn't advanced in ages. (Whether or not these accusations turn out true remains to be seen...). ;)