PDA

View Full Version : iMac or Athens?

kbk
2006-02-19, 04:42
Here's the deal,

I have a MacBook Pro on order ("should" arrive very soon) and I was considering getting an iMac Core Duo.

But my situation becomes complicated because a friend has invited me to travel to Athens and Rome in January next year (I live in Australia).

I really cannot afford both because my airfares alone are almost $3000.

Im only in Year 11 and sort of figure maybe travell could wait untill i was finished school but my friend is going this year and can't postpone it until next year.

So should i travel, hold off travel for a year and get an iMac instead???

Franz Josef
2006-02-19, 06:33
So should i travel, hold off travel for a year and get an iMac instead???No, absolutely not. The truth is that travel at your age is priceless; it will change the way you think and make you a more rounded and perceptive individual. The iMac won't do that. In any case you're going to have a great time with the MBP. Go to Athens and Rome and enjoy.

FJ

scratt
2006-02-19, 06:38
Agreed...

Toys are great.. New computers are great, but actually doing stuff is far more rewarding..

I often toss up whether to spend roughly the price of a new Mac on going to a skydiving boogie, or holiday, against upgrading, or getting another machine... The holiday, the friends (new and old) and the experience is worth far more than a new computer...

That said, I will sacrifice the odd trip when it's time for a new Mac, or Steve comes out with something just too juicy to resist.

Bearing in mind you already have a Mac that most would be jealous of you for, I think the trip wins hands down... Plus you can take your laptop with you on the trip!

Koodari
2006-02-19, 08:19
Why on earth would you need an iMac when you already have what is basically the same computer in a portable form?

Mac+
2006-02-19, 09:58
Gotta agree with everyone so far. You're getting a MacBook Pro ... that ought to be enough. Not sure why you would also consider getting the iMac Core Duo, especially considering that it is similarly specced.

Anyway, as one fellow antipodean to another: you have to get out of what one of our ex-PM's so eloquently dubbed "the arse end of the world" ;) and broaden your horizons. FJ is right ... it will change the way you think and make you a more rounded and perceptive individual.

Enjoy the MBP, but save the other $ for that o/s trip in January. (Be sure to pack Winter clothes. ;))

tacvbo83
2006-02-19, 10:17
The truth is that travel at your age is priceless; it will change the way you think and make you a more rounded and perceptive individual.

That is absolutely 100% true. I agree with everyone else. Go on the trip and put that MacBook Pro to use!

Dorian Gray
2006-02-19, 10:27
Greece is one of the most amazing places on earth, drenched in history and culture, and Rome needs no recommendation of course. You would be mad to get a second computer instead of taking that trip with your friend! :) Even if the option were having a Mac or taking the trip, I would take the latter every time.

I have an Australian friend here in London who sacrificed a lot to spend a year here, and he is loving every day, making friends for life, and realising there is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. That's not because other places are "better" than Australia, but because they're different. The same would undoubtedly be true if I went to Australia.

Go for it! Take your MBP along for the ride and you'll have the best of both worlds. Also make sure you take a camera, a cheap digicam would do fine. And make sure to have a hard copy of all the contacts you are bound to make!

intlplby
2006-02-19, 10:45
$3000 geez... i thnk you can do better than that for airfare

Mac+
2006-02-19, 11:05
It's $3000Au ... which is about $27.58 US these days. :p

jevau
2006-02-19, 12:54
i just want to emphasize what everyone else has said and say: TRAVEL!!

my family vacationed in Athens, Greece a few years ago and it was completely awesome. the beaches are killer, the food is great and the atmosphere is amazing. it really is a beautiful place to visit.
on a side note, i also spent a month in Australia this past summer, 3 weeks in Sydney and a week in Cairns and i had the greatest time in my life. i wouldn't trade that experience for an iMac or MacBook Pro or anything material for that matter. you guys have a great country and i plan on moving there shortly after college if possible!

also, i agree that travel is almost essential at your age and i know this because im just a freshman in college and i'm nowhere near done travelling yet. i really want to do an exchange program in Japan, Germany, the UK and/or Australia.

so just to reiterate: opt for the travel. you can bring your MacBook Pro with you and the iMac will still be around when you get back!

ghoti
2006-02-19, 12:59
It's $3000Au ... which is about $27.58 US these days. :p
Wow, that's less than 1 Euro! ;)

But seriously, travel! Especially since this isn't your only computer, or even your only Mac. I can't even see why this would be a hard decision.

wecallitfall
2006-02-19, 13:54
if you already have a macbook (coming) why on earth would you need another mac - as someone said "which is practically the same"

go to greece

torifile
2006-02-19, 14:39
Ditto what everyone else said. Why would you get the iMac, too? That's just crazy.

kbk
2006-02-20, 05:16
Yea,

Figured. I was pretty certain on travel I was just worried it would throw off my study before my final year.

Bryson
2006-02-20, 07:22
I agree entirely. Take your MBP with you, sit on the beach in Greece and enjoy the best of both worlds.

psmith2.0
2006-02-20, 08:47
You gotta travel. Especially now, while you can. It'll stay with you forever.

For crying out loud, you're already getting a killer laptop that is basically a mobile version of the iMac Core Duo anyway...what's the problem? Why both?

:confused:

octavist13
2006-02-20, 09:36
Screw the iMac and go to Greece. Bring us back some gyros.

ghoti
2006-02-20, 10:23
I agree entirely. Take your MBP with you, sit on the beach in Greece and enjoy the best of both worlds.
No, please don't do that! Don't spend your entire holiday surfing the web and chatting with people online. You can do that at home. There are Internet cafes everywhere for checking email and sending some photos home. Best leave that MBP at home, where it's safe and where it's waiting for you to return ;)

scratt
2006-02-20, 11:48
Just get Brad to ban him her for the duration of his holiday! ;)

EDIT : I do apologize kbk :o

Brad
2006-02-20, 11:56
Go for the iMac. :)

AWR
2006-02-20, 11:58
Her, scratt, he's a her. ;)

scratt
2006-02-20, 12:13
Her, scratt, he's a her. ;)

They allow girls here? :eek:

Why doesn't anyone ever tell me when the rules change....? :grumble:

kbk
2006-02-21, 05:05
hahahah :lol:

Yes last time I checked, I was a girl :lol:

Oh and as for taking it with me. NO WAY! Firstly its a holiday. Secondly, we're backpacking, I don't want to even think about carrying it around with me and I'm to terrified I'll get mugged, being a vaulnerable girl and everything.

;)

RowdyScot
2006-02-21, 05:51
Enjoy the traveling experience, take a digital camera with you, and when you get back be sure to photocast everything to us here at AN :D

AWR
2006-02-21, 08:16
Yes last time I checked, I was a girl :lol:

Can I get a moderator's decision on whether this is free game for comment? :eek:

BOT, the answer is Greece. Hands down, no question, get a grip. ;)

gabv
2006-02-21, 16:31
Do whatever makes you happy
You can travel to Athens and Rome, and when you'll go back home you'll have plenty of time to cry for not buying the imac. :D
OR
Buy the imac and you can fool yourself into believing you were there. Just open idvd or imovie hd, look at the "pass through" theme and see what you'll be missing (the beach is in extras!)
But how can anyone say "no" to Rome? :mad:

"pass through" theme reminds me of the history parade in 2004 opening ceremony

shell
2006-02-21, 17:22
The only reason you could possibly want the iMac when you already have a laptop is for the bigger screen, so why not just buy an external monitor for your MacBook for far less than the cost of a whole computer and then go to Europe too?