PDA

View Full Version : isight2 coming at Paris?

Quagmire
2004-08-16, 15:09
TS reports that the isight supply in retail stores dried up and not expected to get new ones intill September. Sources say that the isight2 is in production as we speak. Ts says it only improvment is the mounting. While I doubt the only thing improved was the mounting we might see it at the Paris expo. Who knows Jobs might use it himself if he decides to pop in via video chat. TS also reports the high demand for the original airport cards and ebay prices have reached $150.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/isightairport.html

sCreeD
2004-08-16, 16:26
Mine shipped the 11th and will arrive Wednesday. (Yes, the one with the new SKU number).

Screed

LoCash
2004-08-16, 21:50
The ones with the new SKU are most likely the ones mentioned at WWDC that include the magnetic mount for the new Cinema Displays.

psmith2.0
2004-08-16, 21:56
And the Diane Sawyer Soft Gauze Filter, standard. Should be cool. :p

k squared
2004-08-16, 21:57
The ones with the new SKU are most likely the ones mentioned at WWDC that include the magnetic mount for the new Cinema Displays.

So, an obvious question would be: who thinks that the magnetic mount works on the Titanium and Aluminum PowerBooks? And, of course, the new iMacs?

Maciej
2004-08-16, 21:58
I didn't think magnets stuck to Aluminum... am I wrong?

DMBand0026
2004-08-16, 22:04
they will apparently stick to the new displays. And if you're daring, try out a magnet on your PB ;)

Maciej
2004-08-16, 22:05
Again, I wasn't sure if magnets effected LCDs like they do CRTs. I will try it now.

EDIT: On second thought, since it could permanently damage this gorgeous screen, I will refrain.

aswitcher
2004-08-17, 03:28
I was hoping for more...like a wideangle attachment or zoom to improve video conferencing...or an inbuilt light...or a vertical not horizontal tube arrangement to save space and make it less prone to knocks...

El Guardo
2004-08-17, 07:24
I was wondering more about it being able to "scan" - perhaps a follow on from the announcement of Delicious Monster's upcoming iLibrary software where the iSight can be used to scan and record the barcodes of books, DVDs, movies and CDs. The current isight surely can't focus well enough to pick up the intricate detail of a barcode (without continual errors) no matter how good any OCR software may be....

atfault
2004-08-20, 13:04
No, titanium and aluminum are not magnetic materials and a magnet will not stick to them. I can see them having a small stainless/steel plate in the iSight kit that you stick on your display or powerbook and then attach a magnetic base to.

Most, if not all, Apple laptops have magnets right beside the display in the bezel on the right that activates a magnetic reed switch beside the keyboard when the lid is closed; this is what causes it to sleep when you close the lid. You can prove this by taking a magnet and waving it along the right edge of your keyboard and your machine will go to sleep.

DISCLAIMER: While I have done this with my PB Wallstreet 233, I am not responsible for any damage you may incur to your 30" Cinema should you try to prove the effect magnets may have.

The current iSight is more than capable of reading barcodes with the right software driving the reader.