PDA

View Full Version : Disk image won't unmount - reason?

Koodari
2004-08-16, 19:52
It tells me that there is an application using it. I went through Process Viewer (only my own apps), one by one checked their open files, hoping to see the disk image. Nope.

Searching the other forum I already found a tip that tells me that from the Terminal I can check out the mounted disks with 'df' and force an eject with 'hdiutil eject -force diskname' but I didn't do that yet because I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Is there a way to find the process or glitch that is keeping this image open?

(not that I think it helps any, but this is a fresh OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 (?) install disk image. I did nothing but opened it, installed OO.o, checked that it's working (launches) and then tried to "eject" the image by dragging on trash)

DMBand0026
2004-08-16, 20:58
Something has to be keeping it open, probably just a background process. Re start and that thing will be gone.

Luca
2004-08-16, 21:14
You don't even have to restart. Logging out and back in quits all processes, after which you should be able to eject it.

Koodari
2004-08-17, 06:16
I doubt there even was an offending process. I found this thing called lsof that is supposed to display all open files and give the corresponding process' information. But the disk (the mounted device file) was not there.

So I just force ejected the image with 'hdiutil'.

I never want to reboot unless I have to. Sure, it's easy and when I was on Windows that was often my solution to a problem, but I'm an OS X / Unix user now. When I am administrating a server someday and get the same problem, and I've always went the easy way, what then?