PDA

View Full Version : MBP RAM... easy to install??

davidfalling
2006-02-24, 20:37
Okay, so i am about to pull the trigger on my new macbook, but a lot of people are telling me to upgrade to 2gb ram on my own, instead of ordering it with 2gigs. I know the upgrade from apple is $270, but i can get a 1gig stick of ram for about $115 from a third party.

The only question is.. how difficult is it to add a stick of ram to one of these babies??

If its going to be some big ordeal where i have to completely take the thing apart, i'd rather just order it, because i wouldnt want to mess something up on my new $2500+ machine. Know what i mean? ;)

Any quick last minute tips would be greatly appreciated, because i am one click away from placing my order!!! :D

tacvbo83
2006-02-24, 20:54
everyon else here will tell you to do what you just described, I on the other hand went for the 2 Gigs already installed because I am new with Macs....just my case

you will save about $100 I guess....but i rather pay to not go through the trouble this first time

by the way..when you order it, can you post your shipping date...just curious

Brave Ulysses
2006-02-24, 22:12
everyon else here will tell you to do what you just described, I on the other hand went for the 2 Gigs already installed because I am new with Macs....just my case

you will save about $100 I guess....but i rather pay to not go through the trouble this first time

by the way..when you order it, can you post your shipping date...just curious

again, the trouble is unscrewing two screws ( I believe 2) and putting a stick of ram in a slot. Hardly worth $100 extra to have Apple do it. But that's me.::\

davidfalling
2006-02-25, 01:17
OKAY, well after looking at some pictures of the MBP taken apart, i realized that it is really easy:

1.) you remove the battery, and then
2.) unscrew 2 or 3 screws.

Thats it! Then just put the stick 'o' ram in and be on your way with a brand new screaming fast computer! and you know you saved about $150 too. :smokey:

Soooo... after much pondering, thinking, "It will be EASIER to just order the 2 gigs WITH the computer!" I decided that saving money is pretty important, because i'm not rich at all. I'm a starving college student!
Anway, just thought you all should know that I PULLED THE TRIGGER and bought a brand new MacBook Pro 2.0 ghz!!!:D I've been waiting to buy a mac for sooooooo long!! I was saving for a powerbook like a year ago!

But yeah, it says 3-4 weeks. Are they going to give me a more specific date of when its expected to ship, or what??

tacvbo83
2006-02-25, 01:43
they will give you your specific estimated shippind date soon...probably March 21st...but as I have been noticing...they are shipping 3 to 5 days earlier than stated...i am still deciding on wether to spend $250 for extra speed and video card...AAAAAAh..what to do!!! i dont have much time to make my decision...so far its a 1.83 GHz, 2 Gig RAM, 128 Vid, 100 Gig 7200 RPM

billybobsky
2006-02-25, 01:48
You have to be confident when installing the ram, no pussyshitting it...

davidfalling
2006-02-25, 03:35
You have to be confident when installing the ram, no pussyshitting it...
Nice way to put it! :lol:

Well i just put another 1 gig of ram in my emac a couple days ago and that was pretty easy, and everything is working perfect. So i think i can handle it.

Apparently it is shipping March 24, and delivered by the 31st!!!!! :\ That seems like soooooo long!! haha... i just dropped a lot of cash on that thing, i want it now! I wish there was more instant gratification when buying expensive toys. Oh well... im just hoping it will maybe ship sooner, but im not counting on it. At least i've got this emac to hold me over. :| Looking forward to being mobile again though. I forgot how uncomfortable sitting at a desk can be.