PDA

View Full Version : WHat about the eMac?

sjonke
2004-08-17, 15:40
With the iMac G5 reportedly not sporting a superdrive unless you buy the 20" model, I imagine a superdrive iMac is going to be out of reach for me. So how about the eMac? Is there any info out there on a possible eMac G5 update? Seems like it's also due for an update....

Zodiac
2004-08-17, 15:44
It's not due yet, trust me on this.

Luca
2004-08-17, 15:44
I think the main reason the iMac is getting a G5 is because it's currently too close in performance to the eMac (namely, the G4 eMac is faster than the far more expensive G4 iMac). The reason the iMac is getting a G5 is because it has to be differentiated from the eMac. I don't think the eMac will get a G5 anytime soon - it will stick with the G4 for the forseeable future, and be about on par with the iBook.

Quagmire
2004-08-17, 15:52
The 17" imac will get a superdrive. You would just need to pay more. The emac will most likely get the G5 last. Schools do not need a 64 bit computer yet and don't need the power of the G5. With the reports of the edu model of the imac G5 we do not know for sure the future of the emac.

Luca
2004-08-17, 15:58
Besides, by the time the eMac needs to move to faster speeds (say, beyond 1.5 GHz, the current highest speed for the G4), there will be faster G4s available. No need for a G5. The iMac is getting a G5 because 1) the name association (to most people, G5 = really good), and 2) the fact that the fastest G4 is still just 1.5 GHz, and iMacs need to get faster NOW and can't wait for a 1.8 or 2.0 GHz G4 to come out.

BenRoethig
2004-08-17, 17:22
Besides, by the time the eMac needs to move to faster speeds (say, beyond 1.5 GHz, the current highest speed for the G4), there will be faster G4s available. No need for a G5. The iMac is getting a G5 because 1) the name association (to most people, G5 = really good), and 2) the fact that the fastest G4 is still just 1.5 GHz, and iMacs need to get faster NOW and can't wait for a 1.8 or 2.0 GHz G4 to come out.

I think the G4s are stuck at where there are until the e600 (next-gen G4) arrives.

Luca
2004-08-17, 17:48
No, there's one between the current 7447 (which tops out at 1.5 GHz) and the e600. The 7448 is supposedly going to go up to 1.8 or 2.0 GHz, at which point the e600 should be ready and it'll carry the torch from there. The e700 is supposed to max out at 3.0 GHz or something like that, but that one is a ways off and things could change dramatically.

I think the 7448 has a good possibility of making it into PowerBooks and eMacs soon. The next PowerBooks could well get 1.8 or 2.0 GHz 7448 G4s, while the eMacs inherit the 1.5 GHz G4s that the PowerBooks have right now. And since Apple is still working with Motorola, but now also working with IBM, they have options open to steadily improve their processors without getting caught if one of the two doesn't follow through in time. If Motorola stalls and doesn't get the 7448 out in time, there's always the IBM 750VX to turn to. Add an AltiVec unit, and you've basically got a high-speed IBM-made G4.

Either way, I seriously doubt the eMacs and PowerBooks will stall at 1.5 GHz while we wait for Motorola (oh wait, I mean Freescale) to come out with the e600.

psmith2.0
2004-08-18, 08:21
With the iMac G5 reportedly not sporting a superdrive unless you buy the 20" model, I imagine a superdrive iMac is going to be out of reach for me. So how about the eMac? Is there any info out there on a possible eMac G5 update? Seems like it's also due for an update....

I wouldn't go making serious purchase decisions (and planning) based on a Think Secret story. Why don't you wait a couple of weeks and see what really shakes out? Personally I find it REALLY hard to believe that a SuperDrive - as much as Apple pushes the whole iDVD thing - won't be available on the 17" models. That ridiculous, and would be a VERY stupid move on Apple's part.

Anyone else think a SuperDrive-based 17" iMac HAS to be in the cards? Makes no sense, and they'll lose a ton of sales, if there isn't.

:(

rickag
2004-08-18, 09:27
As Luca said there appears to be another G4 before Freescale moves to the e600/e700. Remember the current G4's still use a 0.13µm process. Next up 0.09µm, when is up for considerable debate.

supermegatron
2004-08-25, 08:49
The eMac has been discontinued. When the currents stock runs out there they are gone. There is a replacement in the works for the education market but it will not be available to the general public. The eMac cut into the iMac profits in such away that its just simply impossible to continue with this product.

Luca
2004-08-25, 08:57
The eMac has been discontinued. When the currents stock runs out there they are gone. There is a replacement in the works for the education market but it will not be available to the general public. The eMac cut into the iMac profits in such away that its just simply impossible to continue with this product.
And your basis for saying this is what? The eMac cut into the iMac's profits because it was better and cost $500 less. That's not the eMac's fault, it's the iMac's fault. Apple NEEDS a $799 desktop, and there is no way you're going to see an iMac with a G5 and an LCD hit $799. Maybe $999 if they REALLY stretch and make the low end one super barebones, but it just won't happen.

There is absolutely no way you are right. No way at all. The eMac has been a success and it has shown Apple that they have to do better with the iMac.

alcimedes
2004-08-25, 09:03
the funny part is, IIRC, the G5's cost less to produce than the G4's do. in theory, if they had the chips, they could knock the price down on the eMac and give them a G5. not sure it will happen any time soon, but that would a nice way to go. leave just the laptops running G4's.

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 09:20

Microsoft's music store will be fully compatible with the iPod. Songs purchased from their store can also be imported into iTunes but not vice versa.

The iBooks are going to 1.25 low end and 1.5 high end + it will be blue tooth ready.

Anyone else noticing a trend?

supermegatron, you've made exactly three posts here at 'Nova, and all of them seem to be said with some authority and "I've got the inside scoop" tone to them, even if one of them is about Microsoft and the other two Apple.

:confused:

Are you saying all the above with true inside knowledge, or are you just saying what you THINK is going to be the case? If it's the latter, you might want to reflect that a bit so people know. Your posts just stand out this morning because you've made three in which you come across like Moses on the rock, and I was curious if you truly have some insight (and would be a good person to have around for some nice info), or if you're just some 14-year-old home sick from school and blowing smoke.

Knowing the answer goes a long way toward how much stock I want to put into your future posts...I love good inside info, we all do. But it has to be legit, so I was just curious.

;)

It's been my experience that when someone speaks that definitively, they're either dead-on and a true "insider"...or completely 100% full of shit. No middle ground, it seems.

:)

So...?

Luca
2004-08-25, 09:25
Isn't it obvious, pscates? First post: saying the eMac will be discontinued. Absurd. Second post: iBooks will have 1.25 and 1.5 GHz processors (sounds good) and bluetooth ready (uh, they're already bluetooth ready). Uninformed. Third post: MS's music store will be fully compatible with the iPod. Maybe, maybe not. Baseless.

Hey supermegatron! STFU!

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 09:27
No, it wasn't obvious. That's why I asked. :)

Then again, there's always the good possibility it's the latest incarnation of a Messiahtosh spin-off...

:err:

If it IS, he's gonna get nailed to the wall. Check the IP, just in case...

Messiahtosh
2004-08-25, 10:03
No, it wasn't obvious. That's why I asked. :)

Then again, there's always the good possibility it's the latest incarnation of a Messiahtosh spin-off...

If it IS, he's gonna get nailed to the wall. Check the IP, just in case... :no:

And pscates, looks like I got the inside information correct about the iMac material being aluminum...I'm just saying.

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 10:19
First of all, Chris, you don't get to pull that :no: smiley out on me because YOU are/were the one running around both here AND AppleInsider.com with multiple user names, having debates/praising yourself via both names (until you got busted at both sites). Your :no: is misplaced because, taking recent history into account, I don't think what I said is too off the mark. It's not like it isn't possible AND you haven't done it several times before.

How hard is it NOT to get banned at a damn message board? You have to really almost TRY. The fact that it's happened to you at least three times scares the crap out of me.

:eek:

It's like NOT robbing a bank. It's very easy to do, you know...you don't walk into a bank with a gun. You have to make an effort TO do it. I don't understand that whole underlying thing you have going sometimes. Who in the hell manages to keep getting banned at places? Wouldn't once be enough for most anyone? If I ever crossed the line in such a way that LoCash or Brad gave me the boot, and I was eventually let back in, I'd make really sure I didn't keep doing what got me in trouble the first time. I'd be a good boy and play by the rules because I wouldn't want it to happen again. :confused:

Second, regarding the iMac G5 thing, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back just yet. The thing isn't even out yet, and you're already stroking yourself over it. We'll see. And if it IS aluminum or whatever, that's only playing the odds. I mean, you had a 50/50 shot, Chris. It was either going to be white or aluminum, realistically. Half the stuff in Apple's line-up has gone to aluminum casing, so if I'm not exactly busting at the seams at you predicting that a new G5-based iMac is aluminum, you'll understand.

Now if you'd predicted it would've been made of drywall, bamboo and PVC tubing (and it actually came to be), THEN I'd be a little more impressed.

:)

You do realize, however, if it ISN'T aluminum next week, you're in for a massive beating because you've been running around here and AppleInsider the past 24 hours or so, quite smugly telling everyone to start "eating their hats" because YOU predicted an aluminum-based iMac G5.

There's a part of me that has never wanted something to be white plastic so much in my entire life...

:p

But if it IS aluminum, jeez-louise...we'll never hear the end of it, will we?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-25, 10:32
Excuse me while I go kill myself because Paul scolded me/explained my message board troubles....wait. :no:

And no, when it is announced and the iMac is aluminum, I won't say a word about my prognostication.

SKMDC
2004-08-25, 10:49
Excuse me while I go kill myself because Paul scolded me/explained my message board troubles....wait. :no:

And no, when it is announced and the iMac is aluminum, I won't say a word about my prognostication.

by then you should be hanging from your underwear on a light pole, somewhere on the penn state campus.

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 10:54

Need some rope? :p

Bullcrap. You've been saying it, to anyone who'll listen, for the past day now (based purely on speculation, no less!). We're supposed to believe that if it actually comes to be, you'll be overtaken with a sudden influx of modesty and grace, and won't beat everyone over the head with how you "nailed it"?

I seriously, seriously doubt it. :D

Messiahtosh
2004-08-25, 10:55
by then you should be hanging from your underwear on a light pole, somewhere on the penn state campus.By then you'll be in your superkaratemonkeydeathcar, or something. :devil:

Messiahtosh
2004-08-25, 10:57
Bullcrap. You've been saying it, to anyone who'll listen, for the past day now (based purely on speculation, no less!). We're supposed to believe that if it actually comes to be, you'll be overtaken with a sudden influx of modesty and grace, and won't beat everyone over the head with how you "nailed it"?

I seriously, seriously doubt it. :DWe'll see if I do, won't we?

SKMDC
2004-08-25, 11:00
By then you'll be in your superkaratemonkeydeathcar, or something. :devil:

it's parked in your driveway right now son.

Luca
2004-08-25, 11:01
Sorry pscates, supermegatron is not Messiahtosh. And he's not in California or Washington either, which just drives the point home that no, he does not have any inside info from either Apple or MS.

If Messiahtosh were to create another user name, it would be something like "PennStateTosh(BTWImNotChris)" or something.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-25, 11:03
Sorry pscates, supermegatron is not Messiahtosh. And he's not in California or Washington either, which just drives the point home that no, he does not have any inside info from either Apple or MS.

If Messiahtosh were to create another user name, it would be something like "PennStateTosh(BTWImNotChris)" or something. :lol:

You guys really don't believe me about the login problem...all I can say is that I did have those issues. Oh well.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-25, 11:05
it's parked in your driveway right now son.The BMW, Cadillac, or the Mini Cooper? I don't see anything in it that's not ours.

Luca
2004-08-25, 11:08
:lol:

You guys really don't believe me about the login problem...all I can say is that I did have those issues. Oh well.
Absolutely not. I don't trust you at all.

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 11:11
Part of me wonders if the eMac might become something new entirely. I wonder how cheap it could possibly get, and still be useful to a classroom or newbie? I don't know how much components cost.

It's already nicely priced, but I wonder if the new iMac will eventually force the eMac to be something different too?

I love the eMac...

windowsblowsass
2004-08-25, 11:14
jeese, can we atleas not takeover one thread just one come on even if he says stupid shit from time to time can we just ignore it come on.

SKMDC
2004-08-25, 11:17
Part of me wonders if the eMac might become something new entirely. I wonder how cheap it could possibly get, and still be useful to a classroom or newbie? I don't know how much components cost.

It's already nicely priced, but I wonder if the new iMac will eventually force the eMac to be something different too?

I love the eMac...

well is it a fact that the eMac is gone with the wind?

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 11:18
jeese, can we atleas not takeover one thread just one come on even if he says stupid shit from time to time can we just ignore it come on.

Periods and commas DO exist for a reason, you know. ;)

And yes, I got back to talking about the eMac. Everyone else do too, or this thread's gonna get locked.

windowsblowsass
2004-08-25, 11:32
my keyboard is broken at least i have an excuse this time

Messiahtosh
2004-08-25, 11:48
separate sentences by lines then :D

SKMDC
2004-08-25, 12:05
my keyboard is broken at least i have an excuse this time????
sweet jesus, someone check the water in pennsylvania.

just because the eMac is less expensive doesn't mean apple makes less of a profit on it......(what is it with all these people worrying about apple's profit-margins and marketshare?).......the iPod should have shown everyone that.

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 12:15
well is it a fact that the eMac is gone with the wind?

No, not at all. But I don't know if it'll just keep looking the way it does 2-3 years from now. Or even one year from now. That's what I'm talking about. No, I don't expect anything next week or whatever, I'm just talking "down the road".

Unless, of course, this 17" jellybean is THE end-all/be-all design and Apple thinks it's exactly what/where it needs to be. Maybe it is?

Who/what are you referencing with the profit margins/marketshare thing? Me?

I was just wondering if something, eventually, is in store for it, that's all. Everything, at some point, gets redesigned/refreshed. If nothing else, just for appearance's sake...

I was just curious how low the eMac could go, but I don't know what drives and whatnot costs. I DON'T want to sacrifice features/out-of-the-box performance, however. In other words, I'm not interested in there being a $499-599 eMac if it's lacking Ethernet, FireWire, AirPort capability, etc.

That's no good either.

SKMDC
2004-08-25, 12:26
Who/what are you referencing with the profit margins/marketshare thing? Me?

no supermegatron said that the eMac was being discontinued and that it was cutting into the iMac's profits.

it's just my general displeasure at constantly reading what high school students think about apple's profit margins and market-share.
like they can read a P&L statement.

psmith2.0
2004-08-25, 12:28
:D

Yeah, there does seem to be quite a number of economic genius types masquerading as regular teen-aged high schoolers making their mark at Mac-centric message boards.

Chinney
2004-08-25, 12:49
With the iMac G5 reportedly not sporting a superdrive unless you buy the 20" model, I imagine a superdrive iMac is going to be out of reach for me. [...]

On this issue, I alternate between feeling this way:

Who cares if a SuperDrive is not included? How much is an external DVD-RW these days? Not much. If I need it, I’ll buy it.

And this way:

On the other hand, if it is so little, why doesn’t Apple quit messing around, and offer the SuperDrive with all of its computers?

I am starting to lean toward the second viewpoint.